Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #8

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #8

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: 7 day out of state elk hunt; solo hunt today
Date/Time: Early OCT, around 9:00 AM
Tag: Archery; Bull Tag only

This morning, you decide to sit/post on a game trail, in a ground blind you roughed together a few days ago for the morning hunt. Your ground blind is kind of on the corner (see red trail marks) of this game trail that winds from a known feeding area below (nice, wet meadow) and winds up to some bedding areas about ¾ up the hillside above you. This particular trail seems to have at least some travel each day you’ve been close to it. You’ve got into vocal elk before on this hillside over the past few days but no shots as of yet (it’s very thick on this hillside for the most part). As you sit and watch, listen, and even smell for approaching beasts from below you moving up, as quickly as a hiccup, this fine young fellow, who is obviously confused about the direction he “should” be traveling this time of the morning clears those two blowdowns behind him and surprises you with his presence. He’s moving slow and to this point, does not know you’re there. The bull is only 20 yards from your position.

What’s your game plan to get a shot, and, shoot or no shot here?

ground blind elk mark up.jpg
ground blind elk mark up.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 3320 times

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #8

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 2]

To start with, I impersonate a statue. No movement or you are busted. I let him walk past me, draw and auger him. If he turns so I do not have a shot, I draw and give a nervous grunt and start the text for my buddy to bring the pack frames.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The bull going from right to left is not good. You can stop him when he moves forward, but his vitals will likely be behind the brush in the foreground. I agree with Tigger. If you move now it is all over. If he turns, back it is likely he knows something is wrong and stopping him is not likely. There is no shot available now, and the chances are not good you will get one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bowhunter » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

If no shot now because of movement spooking him. I would ever so slowly prepare to draw. When he walks by I will draw slowly and shoot if I manage to get the bow back and a shot presents itself. Be ready to pull if he turns his head. If you cant see his eyes he cant see you.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

There's only one thing to do here... sit stone still and pray for a change of fortunes!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Good discussion folks, please keep it rolling. I pose these scenarios to do just that, facilitate discussion. You/us seasoned farts have seen just about everything in the elk woods, on the other hand, many newer hunters have not. Perhaps some of these scenarios and ensuing discussions will assist somebody in making the correct decision if they are confronted with a situation we've analyzed.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 7]

So the consensus is to wait and be still. That sure is easy to type! But I tell you what, almost every brain cell in your head is going to be screaming for you to move, get ready to draw, etc. It will be super duper hard to stay still in that situation. That bull is 20 yards and may come closer. It will take some serious seasoning as a hunter to not goof that situation up. Easy to be a keyboard warrior on this one, but in reality, this is a much harder situation than one might think.
Tigger

Postby jmorr » 07 01, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Never taken this shot myself and I don't think I have the b_lls to but I have seen it work. Too steep an angle for the frontal? You better be a dead eye with ice in the veins..
Attachments
ground blind elk mark up.jpg
ground blind elk mark up.jpg (190.12 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
jmorr

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Never mind the shot placement issue: The problem is how do you raise your bow, draw, aim carefully, and squeeze off a shot without the bull catching movement and bolting? For you new to elk hunting; elk are amazingly quick. If they catch movement, your encounter is over.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:So the consensus is to wait and be still. That sure is easy to type! But I tell you what, almost every brain cell in your head is going to be screaming for you to move, get ready to draw, etc. It will be super duper hard to stay still in that situation. That bull is 20 yards and may come closer. It will take some serious seasoning as a hunter to not goof that situation up. Easy to be a keyboard warrior on this one, but in reality, this is a much harder situation than one might think.

Seems like more often than not I feel like elk are looking right at me

Im waiting on a shot with archery gear, maybe only 5-6 seconds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrowTines » 07 21, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I would hold out for when he gets to the bend in the trail. Dollars to donuts he will turn his head to look down the trail - as soon as I see the back of his ears I would lift the bow and draw quickly - any movement before and game over. ...or if that opportunity does not present itself let him turn the corner and once he starts walking away from you then draw and give him a nervous grunt and hope he turns broadside and presents a shot.
BrowTines