Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Decoys

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Decoys

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I have had and still have several decoys. I have tried them in a number of situations without any shot opportunities that I could attribute to a decoy. How many of you have had shot opportunities that were made possible because of your decoy? What was the decoy and tell us the decoy story about the elk you got?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Decoys

Postby BrowTines » 07 21, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My daughter was with me and we were in the bottom of a valley in ranchland at the edge of a hayfield. We saw a bull elk probably 500 yards out crossing the field. I had my daughter get up against the trees with the decoy and hold it up. I then positioned myself 40 yards in front in the tall grass. I then gave a cow call and the bull took one look and came on the dead run at the decoy - full bore. My daughter was shaking in her boots. At about 80 yards the thermals reversed and the bull hit a brick wall. Another time we had the decoy setup behind us the bull and a cow came into our calls above us and when the cow saw the decoy she came running into the decoy and the bull followed. My brother shot the bull and attributed the kill to the decoy. Having that visual confirmation can make a difference in the right circumstance. I always carry my decoy and when I have time, set up it up behind the caller. ...if I am constantly repositioning myself I often don't bother with the decoy.
BrowTines

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The shots havent happened. The herds didnt hang up,.. just stopped, and didnt care about the deoy,.. just like another elk, Everyting was ok
Had a cow one time , flashing the decoys we were able to close the distance easily because she thought the decoy was an elk.
I was in the open, watched my daughter get into the bulls Bulls didnt care about the decoy but I think it calmed them a lot.
Then my daughter moving locations to cut the angle on a herd running in, the elk did see the decoy ,.. but my daughter standing caught in the open they left nearly as fast.
So I guess they helped calm elk.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby N2mywake » 07 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My dad's bull in 2013 was shot at 20 yards, he came to bugles but as soon as he saw the decoy from 50+ yards he headed right to it. I was standing 5 yards to the side of the decoy calling, he was probably 10 yards from me when I stopped him and dad shot.

We don't always use the decoy but if we have time to setup we make an effort.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake