Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your Easiest Elk Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Easiest Elk Hunt

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Do you remember your easiest elk hunt? Did you just get up in the morning and walk out of camp a few yards and shoot the critter? Maybe you laid around until 9:00 AM had breakfast, then drove to where you were going to start your hike and found a bull along the way. Or maybe you got in on a cow elk depredation hunt. No matter, those easy elk hunts are rare aren't they?
I have killed two bulls on opening morning. Both times I pretty much knew where to go and expected to see them there based on some scouting. One I was able to back the pickup and load up with just the guts out. It was only about 1/4 mile from where I shot it. It all sounds easy enough, but I can tell you about putting in over 300 hunting hours and still had more season and more hunting time to put in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Your Easiest Elk Hunt

Postby saddlesore » 07 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I don't remember any easy ones. Killing them has been easy. After that, not so much
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Closest to camp was roughly 400 yards. Sneaky little draw behind camp that no one paid attention to on to. Just walked up after lunch to look around and there he was. That was my first elk.

The next easiest was a rifle rut hunt. I had scouted this one thoroughly and knew where they would be. Opening morning I was in the basin, and 20 minutes after shooting light I called in a 6 pt and killed him. Shortest elk hunt on record for me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My easiest hunt was three minutes from the truck and a little less than five more minutes to get set up and call an elk in and put it down.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Trophyhill » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 5]

CO 2013. JJ killed a bull on day 2 of opening weekend, and I killed on on day 4. What a great hunt that was! Hanging out with Jeremy and his son was a blast!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Tigger » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I don't think it counts as easy, but maybe "easier" than it could have been. I shot a bull 2 years ago that made a beeline for where the ATV was parked! He didn't make it that far, but he sure made it easier!
Tigger

Postby ishy » 07 18, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I took a cow Labor day morning while sitting a deer stand while I was on call at local hospital. It was my first time seeing an elk this time of year at this spot. I had a moment of doubt thinking about my time off later in the month...she turned broadside and it was game over. Only about 400 yards from my camry (yes I have put multiple elk in them and they carry elk just fine!). I was pretty nervous after the shot as it was already warm and my beeper could have gone off any moment. I did get it to my brothers house in town and mostly cut up before the beeper went off at 1. The best was my wife calling at 9 to see what I was doing. I said," packing an elk" and let her think for a bit. I could see her thoughts over the phone," That SOB lied and said he had to work this morning!"
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 07 18, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Been able to drive up to a couple cows
My first bull,.. been hunting a few days. I was exhausted. Woke up late. Headed up the hill sat down at the first tree at legal shooting. Killed the bull the walked up towards e,.. a dentist from Dillon was riding up,wanted his horse to drag it out drug the elk to the top of the hill,..300 yard? It was loaded on my 4 wheeler before I got to it
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fullabull » 07 18, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Ok, A long time ago in a Colorado far far away, my dad and a friend hunted from a drop camp. It had been raining all night and was still raining in the morning. My friend and I were up early as usual getting ready to go out in the rain when my dad said he was not going out in the rain. He was going to sleep in, have breakfast and see how things go. Three hours later after sitting out in the rain for two of those hours I hear a shot which I knew was close to camp. I immediately said to myself, I'll never hear the end of this.
Sure enough, I head back to camp and see my dad sitting in a chair waiting for me. He points about 200 yards away and says, "my bull is right up there. Lol, he walked not more than 30 yards from from camp and a string of elk came down the hill. He shot the bull, sat down and waited for me to show up. That was the easiest bull elk hunt I had ever seen. I had to love it though.
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby Indian Summer » 07 27, 2019 •  [Post 10]

My 13 year old niece had a cow tag. It was late season and lots of herds were on the move to lower country. The day before I was driving ip a road to a fire tower and near the top it was covered with fresh tracks. So I backed out and brought her back the next morning. When we got to the top there was one last u turn to the left before you are at the parking area. We made that turn and all we saw were elk. About 40 of them. They slowly walked up over the top of the hill and I just turned the engine off. We sat in the truck and waited for about 20 minutes for it to get light out wondering how far they might have gone. As soon as it was light enough to shoot we got out and loaded her gun and walked up to the crest of the hill. They hadn’t gone anywhere! They were all feeding calmly in a meadow at the base of the tower. She shot a huge cow and we packed it a whole hundred yards to the truck. For fun we strapped a front quarter to her pack and let her pack her first elk out.... “from the high country” :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 27, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Never easy for me, but, my pop killed one that we only had to drag 100 yards, kick over the cut bank, and roll into the back of a truck :?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ