Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getting In Shape For Elk Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getting In Shape For Elk Hunting

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Why do so many people feel they need to be in excellent shape to hunt elk? Is everyone making a five mile trek back into the wilderness every morning and out every evening? I recognize staying in good shape is healthy and I don't let myself go especially now I am in my 70s, but why the emphasis on elk hunting?
Tree stand and ground blind hunters don't require a lot of severe exercise. Spot and stalk hunters should be stopping to look around, and study the places elk could be located. Callers need to stop and wait at every calling location. Those waits need to be 30-60 minutes or you are leaving before the elk you called arrives. Still hunting by its nature is slow and meticulous. Even if you have to pack out an elk for several miles, are you doing it alone in a day?
I am not saying you should be over-weight and wobble legged, but why do you feel you need to be in marathon condition to pursue elk?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Getting In Shape For Elk Hunting

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Not here. Round is a shape too you know.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trophyhill » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

When I think of the reasons why we should be in the best conditioning possible, I would challenge anyone who is out of shape to hunt CO. And unless you can drive right up to your kill, the worse shape you're in, the more it hurts. Bottom line is do yourself a favor and get in shape regardless. Your health is what matters.....
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby 7mmfan » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have never not been able to go where the elk were, or make the necessary moves to get in quick position for a shot, but I'm 35 and not getting any younger. We started hunting Idaho a few years ago, and most of that ground will humble those that are in even the best of shape. Watching my dad who is in his mid 60's, and arguably fantastic mountain condition for his age, begin to slow down and struggle on the mountain, had made me more aware of my physical condition than ever. I know I won't be able to count on him to be 5 miles in and a couple thousand feet up from the truck in a few years, and I'm at least 12-15 years from having a son old and strong enough to help out so I need to be on condition to be self sufficient. Hell, a bull elk 1 mile from the truck in the wrong ground is a challenge, so I'm going to make sure I'm in the best condition I can be in. The plus side is it benefits virtually every other aspect of my life. I know my wife sure doesn't mind.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

"Why do so many people feel they need to be in excellent shape to hunt elk?". Because elk hunting by its very nature is physically demanding, unless you're hunting flat ground on private land, and there is no required hiking or packing. I've taken guys that were not in even "good" shape elk hunting over the years that simply could not handle the physical demands of elk hunting. "Is everyone making a five mile trek back into the wilderness every morning and out every evening?" No, but 1/2 mile straight down and straight back up requires great physical conditioning; not even taking into account those coyote excursions over, down, or across to the next spot.
"I recognize staying in good shape is healthy and I don't let myself go especially now I am in my 70s, but why the emphasis on elk hunting?" I think for some, it is a "reason" to work out (start early in the year, try to get in top shape for the fall hunts) whereas without that mark on the wall, many may not work on their conditioning the way they should. I know its a driving factor for me personally, now that I'm not active Army and required to do regular physical fitness training. "Tee stand and ground blind hunters don't require a lot of severe exercise." Really? That depends on the location I suppose, but still, even 1/2mile to a spot with severe ups/downs and/or brush busting, demands physical conditioning above normal at the bare bones minimum. "Spot and stalk hunters should be stopping to look around, and study the places elk could be located. Callers need to stop and wait at every calling location. Those waits need to be 30-60 minutes or you are leaving before the elk you called arrives. Still hunting by its nature is slow and meticulous. Even if you have to pack out an elk for several miles, are you doing it alone in a day?" Being in at least good physical condition may mean the difference between getting the meat out successfully (avoiding spoilage and/or not taking all the required meat for a given state). Honestly, it just makes a hunter more effective to be in the best shape they can be at the onset of elk season in the Rockies and it sure the heck makes it more enjoyable. Who in the heck wants to 1. Not be able to hunt and go where the elk are, 2. Be so short of breath and hurting that you don't want to get up and go out each morning on the hunt you've waited all year to go on, and 3. I want guys (or gals) that are in great physical condition in my camp to help me pack my elk out :D
Lastly, you're not fooling anybody mister. I've seen first hand what kind of shape you keep yourself in, that is not a natural phenomenon that happened without working at it. Don't let old Swede fool you, he just likes sparking thought provoking elk chat, that old horse is in great shape for any age.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elk country is huge. Being in good condition can be a life or death matter. I am just trying to get folks to think about the issue. If you are in good condition you can go farther, stay longer and be ever more assured you will be back for another hunt. I have seen guys pack up and leave as they were too beat to go on. Every year hunters die of heart attacks. An occasionally guys just can't get out. Get out and hunt. Know your limitations and hunt within those limits. I too have to assess my capabilities every year. I am not hunting where I used to go, with no thought about walking out.
Swede

Postby Osage Outlaw » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Since this fall will be my first time elk hunting I am not sure what to expect from the terrain and how I will handle it. I live in a relatively flat area so mountain terrain will be a new experience for me. I told myself that I would get in good enough shape that my physical condition wouldn't be what held me back from getting an elk. Training for this elk hunt has given me the motivation and a reason to completely change my life. I've lost 90 lbs and I'm in the best shape of my life at 39. I've exercised more this year than the rest of my life combined. I don't know what it will be like to spend 2 weeks in the mountains chasing elk but I know that I'm ready for the challenge.
Osage Outlaw

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Trophyhill wrote: I would challenge anyone who is out of shape to hunt CO. .

You only have to hunt smarter. In 2018, solo hunt, I killed a good sized, 6x bull about 6 miles from my truck at about 10,500 ft elevation in a wilderness area(no vehicles) . It did take me 6 hours to get the hind quarters into the panniers. Probably would have been quicker if I had trees to tie off to and if one hind quarter hadn't rolled down the mountain and me haing to to lug it back up. Then another 3 hours to get them back to camp and another trip the next day for the fronts and back straps. Go hunt, do what you can and enjoy it.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Saddlesore makes a great point. If you have some determination you can elk hunt. Get in as good of condition as you reasonable can and know your limits. You don't have to be able to win the Olympic marathon fueled on Pinion seeds to be able to elk hunt. Know your limits.
Swede

Postby Trophyhill » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

saddlesore wrote:
Trophyhill wrote: I would challenge anyone who is out of shape to hunt CO. .

You only have to hunt smarter. In 2018, solo hunt, I killed a good sized, 6x bull about 6 miles from my truck at about 10,500 ft elevation in a wilderness area(no vehicles) . It did take me 6 hours to get the hind quarters into the panniers. Probably would have been quicker if I had trees to tie off to and if one hind quarter hadn't rolled down the mountain and me haing to to lug it back up. Then another 3 hours to get them back to camp and another trip the next day for the fronts and back straps. This wans't the first time either.

I will be 76 in a month. I have two 8" rods and 8 big lag screws in my lower back vertebrae, 2 spinal fusions, a crushed disk in my neck, 3 compression fractures in my upper back, bad lungs from working underground for 30 + years, peripheral neuroraphy in my extremities, a reversed titanium plastic right shoulder, a weak heart valve , and a whole lot of other joints suffering from arthritis. I try to walk a little bit each week and do PT for my shoulder. Other than that, it is chores around my place So tell me how challenging it is.

I constantly hear guys say "I am in my late 30's, early 40's and feel myself slowing down". Guys need to quit whining and get at it. If you have the desire and determination, you can do it. I do agree it is good to treat your body good and exercise, but not doing it isn't a reason to stay home and not elk hunt. Go hunt, do what you can and enjoy it.

10-4 on working smarter. Until a guy has hunted them long enough though, they probably aren't hunting smarter. I'd hate to see someone bite off more than they can chew 6 miles in and not be in the best shape they can be in. That's a recipe for losing meat.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby saddlesore » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 11]

A persons needs to have a plan to get meat out BEFORE the hunt. One person packing an entire elk out on their back usually doesn't work even if it is only 2 miles even if they are in pretty good shape physically. Very few can. With two people it is doable. However,I have met even two people that were exhausted with one trip each and begging me to pack their meat out. If a person can't do it,then they either need to lineup someone with a 4 legged critter or not shoot the elk
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

saddlesore wrote:Not here. Round is a shape too you know.

:lol:

saddlesore wrote:You only have to hunt smarter.,,,,,,
Go hunt, do what you can and enjoy it.

From the voice of experience.!!!

I think physical conditioning for some is part of elk hunting, maybe like shooting a bow, or scouting in some ways Elk hunting can be a lot of different things for different hunters. For some being with a good horse.
Others its the whole camp environment
Fro me its hunting with my daughter other time's its just being in the woods,.. Being with family

And to hunt some areas conditioning is extremely important.

Ive begun selecting and keeping track of places I plan to hunt when Im too old to hunt,.. road hunting,.. hunting out of a blind, being close to a road, flat ground land open to vehicle use.

I know guys that only spot and stalk,.. no conditioning needed. Drive to the top of a butte. Glass a few hours,.. go back to camp or home.
Ive been working with a younger fellow who has limited use of his upper body , and basically no mobility,.. and still enjoys hunting

And there are some that the only elvation and walking they do,.. 100 yards from the truck and 10 feet up a tree :twisted:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby MtnOak » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I start hiking with my pack now, i'll do bleachers in the mornings at our local high school all through August
MtnOak