Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New CO Big game structure

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New CO Big game structure

Postby saddlesore » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Here is the 2020-2026 Colorado Big Game structure. Bow hunters made out with more of September to hunt. Rifle hunters got screwed again. Posted it here since most are interested in elk hunting.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commi ... 19.PWC.pdf
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: New CO Big game structure

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for posting this SS. I have never hunted the Centennial State but maybe one day......? Yes, it looks like the archery hunters will get a generous season starting next year, and, I do like that the ML's get really, the heart of the rut for 9 days.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

ML seasons are mostly pre rut .That comes about the last two weeks of Sept. I think I am going to try to get a special Cross bow permit since I have this artificial shoulder and can' t pull a bow back. Might as well play the game.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Nothing wrong with that Vince, if that’ll keep you up and after them. How does a guy carry something like that on a trail animal?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Trophyhill » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Thanks for posting this SS. I have never hunted the Centennial State but maybe one day......? Yes, it looks like the archery hunters will get a generous season starting next year, and, I do like that the ML's get really, the heart of the rut for 9 days.

Well if you do decide to hunt CO, lemme know and I'll call you one in ;) I like the new archery season myself....
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby saddlesore » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Nothing wrong with that Vince, if that’ll keep you up and after them. How does a guy carry something like that on a trail animal?

I would probably make something and sit it on top of the sawbuck on the pack animal
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Trophyhill wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Thanks for posting this SS. I have never hunted the Centennial State but maybe one day......? Yes, it looks like the archery hunters will get a generous season starting next year, and, I do like that the ML's get really, the heart of the rut for 9 days.

Well if you do decide to hunt CO, lemme know and I'll call you one in ;) I like the new archery season myself....

Sure will, thanks David ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Archery dates in the new plan are only mildly changed (and ML dates are unchanged, same block of Sept. as the last 5 years), compared to the 4 rifle seasons.

1st rifle season is unchanged. 2nd rifle used to be start on a Saturday and end a week later on Sunday (9 days). It will now start on a Wed, end the next Tues (7 days, only one weekend). 2nd season will end within a few days of Halloween. Then a 10 day break before 3rd season, which starts on Sat, ends 7 days later on Friday. 3rd season is later than before, and shorter w only one weekend. 2nd and 3rd seasons will still be OTC (others by draw) in the same units as before, and deer seasons are those same dates. 4th season will still be 5 days, about a week later than before due to longer times between seasons. 4th season will bump up against Thanksgiving in many of the next 7 years, which is how often this new plan will be reconsidered. It was a 5 year plan until now.

My crystal ball says 2nd season will be less popular OTC, due to starting on Wed and losing a weekend. 2nd has historically been the busiest season by far. I suspect some will shift to 3rd, since (most) Novembers have been milder and drier the last 10 years, and that 10 day break may allow game to move back onto public land from private. Point creep will get worse during 1st season, as many of the refugees from 2nd will apply for 1st. Or else I'm wrong.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby saddlesore » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I doubt elk will move from private land once they are there
saddlesore

Postby Kessler10 » 07 11, 2019 •  [Post 10]

the new archery season starting next year is not much different than this year. But a lot different than last year. Last year opening archery was on Aug 24th or Aug 25th. Meaning if you wanted to go opening weekend you were hunting opening week in August. And could not hunt the last 7-8 days of Sept.

It seems to me the rut has gotten just a tad bit later than it was say 10-15 years ago, but I could be wrong. When I say a tad im talking a few days. Even though the fall equinox drives the rut. With that said, I prefer hunting just before the rut.

Having archery hunted Colorado the last 4 years (by no means an expert) I personally love the new archery dates coming in 2020-2026. They are static dates that do not change and you alwasy have the full month of Sept.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler