Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

This is new to me...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

This is new to me...

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Where I grew up hunting there was no motorbike trails and we always had horses because of my dad's job. I grew up riding and packing horses so that's what we used to hunt on/with. Well, fast forward a lot of years and the area I elk hunt in now has tons of bike trails. I have figured if you can't beat them then join them ;) ...(growing up I was completely against bikes and I'm still not real fond of them but you can go a long ways in a hurry)

My question is does anyone on here pack in camp on a dirt bike? I'm looking for cheap ideas for frames on the front and back of the bike.
Elkhunttoo

Re: This is new to me...

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I had a Yamaha Fat Cat bike until a character stopped by my camp and wanted to but it. It was a good bike for getting around and hauling out meat. The trouble I had was limited trails to use in on. Now I wish I had it back because it was cheap to ride around and great on the Forest Service roads that are slowly brushing in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 07 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I picked up an older Yamaha TT225 last fall. I was thinking of an electric bike, then found this online for a fraction of the price. There are a lot of Forest Service single track trails where I hunt that are hike, horse, bike or MC only. We shall see. Maybe a cargo trailer. Riding w 100# of dead weight on a rack would be more difficult than having a 130# buddy behind you, since meat can't lean or balance.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I still have 1 horse and she can pack it out :D ... I mainly want a little frame to attach a sleeping bag and a small tent ad maybe a little food, not many total lbs but some space. That way I can have all my hunting gear and bow still in my smaller day pack... I might have to just wear a bigger pack
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 20, 2019 •  [Post 5]

My buddy has one of the Yamaha TT225s also. Possibly the best? hunting trail bike out there. Those old Honda Trail 90s? were really good rigs also.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkduds » 07 20, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott