Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Night of the kill..what’s on the spit?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Night of the kill..what’s on the spit?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Ok, back at camp...some or all of your Wapiti has been packed out and hung, put into coolers, whatever. What’s for dinner and how do you cook it? A mess of fried tatos, onions, ______ and _______? How do you cook it? It’s just around the corner. Let’s talk about that best, first meal :D

Edit: Let's say "once you get a change to cook up some elk". That probably makes more sense as for sure, after packing all day/night, you certainly may not have time or energy to actually cook something/anything.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Night of the kill..what’s on the spit?

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Mountain House. :shock:
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I’m too tired to eat
I might gobble anything and water and hit the rack
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I do need to add a bunch of times I’ve stopped at a convince store and bought a jar of pickled pods feet

Evidently my muscles need the salt and vinegar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby jmorr » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I killed my first elk last year. Thinly sliced cow tender loins with Santa Maria seasoning grilled on an open flame with instant mashed potatoes. I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
jmorr

Postby Indian Summer » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:Mountain House. :shock:

Exactly! No doubt it’s been a long day. Maybe elk backs traps tomorrow with mushrooms onions and Idahoan instant mashed taters. Add trout for surf and turf.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Ok, back at camp...some or all of your Wapiti has been packed out and hung, put into coolers, whatever. What’s for diner and how do you cook it? A mess of fried tatos, onions, ______ and _______? How do you cook it? It’s just around the corner. Let’s talk about that best, first meal :D

Has a guy who asks this question tossed many elk on his back and staggered back to camp? He’s gonna get his quarters hung or iced down slip into something a bit more comfortable and prepare a 4 course gourmet meal. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 8]

OK, I'll rephrase a the thread a bit (see initial post).. Changed it to "once you the chance to cook some elk up" ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 9]

RJ, his friend and I had a tenderloin one evening after a short pack out. It was all doable in that situation. I am not that big of a meat eater, and rarely eat any fresh elk while on a hunt. I prefer to let it age a little, but RJ and his buddy can make an excellent presentation of a tenderloin. It sure beat Cheerios or Mountain House. Many times I have just washed up and crawled into bed after packing out. It all depends.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Ahh, and what a feast that was ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 27, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I am not a heart, liver, etc. guy so once we get a chance to cook some elk up at camp, it’s loins cut about 3/4” thick and cooked quickly on a hot grill (little portable grill) I take to base camp (hickory smoke Alpine Touch is my camp meat seasoning of choice). A heap of fried, cubed tatos with red onions is the perfect compliment to the meat IMO (just salt n pepper here). Now, season (and area) permitting...a goodly amount of sliced up King Boleat or even Pine mushrooms, picked within the past few days, thrown on the grill in tin foil (a bit of butter and some Alpine Touch lemon pepper seasoning), truly shores up a feast fit for a king. Now I'm getting hungry ;)

Elk Snacks.jpg
Elk Snacks.jpg (139.47 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
WapitiTalk1