Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk are......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk are......

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I was listening to a podcast recently and the debate centered around two points of view:

Elk are where you find them, or
You find elk where they are.

Okay, which one do you believe? To lend a little clarity, the first statement is:

Elk are where you find them....meaning they could be anywhere with little to no rhyme or reason to where they happen to be at that particular time. This drainage is like all the others and they just happen to be here at this time.

The second:

You find elk where they are....meaning elk are where they are for a very specific reason. They are in this particular drainage because...better forage, water, less pressure, etc, but they moved to that area for a specific reason and it is not random at all.

Okay hosers, line up by sides and debate!
Tigger

Re: Elk are......

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 2]

At one time I was a hoser from southern Minnesota

So you called me out on this
You find elk where they are

Unlike some game when pressured then elk are where you find them
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby jmorr » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I agree with Lefty. They are where you find them until they get pushed around by hunters in early September. Then all bets are off..
jmorr

Postby Indian Summer » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

You find elk where they are for sure. They are there for a reason. Usually based on weather and of course time of day. Quite often because of hunting pressure. Wherever they are rest assured being there has been passed down through generations.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Elk migrate around and change locations on a daily basis. There are reasons for this, mainly for feed, cover and to avoid predators, but also due to weather. Elk are where you find them within reason. If you understand the nature and needs of the elk, you can locate them. They may not be in the first canyon you look over, but if you are on the right track, you should be seeing elk sign.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I have been surprised by elk many times, but I have also developed an understanding of why they are where they are often. Usually associated with 3 basic needs of food, water, shelter. That being said, one area I have found elk consistently is wide open not a tree for miles ground. It is steep and canyon infested though, so I believe that adequately addresses the shelter need.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Their first instinct is preservation.They will sacrifice good forage for poor and will end up where hunters are not.That could be private land, some nasty dark canyon or thick nasty timber.They have to have water though,although they will make do with a small seep in some out of the way location where you think there is no water. They will travel for several miles each night to some water source return to a safe haven before it get light if hunted hard and you will never see them
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I am on the "You find elk where they are" side. Some reason puts them there even though it might not be obvious to us. Two identical canyons to us are not identical to them and they will prefer one over the other....most of the time. But that can change and the other canyon is preferred due to pressure or weather or something else.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Well, one thing is for sure. If they aren't there, you ain't going to find them. And sometimes, even if they are there you aren't going to find them.

So it really doesn't matter if they are where you find them or if you find them where they are. Just hunt and enjoy it!
>>>---WW---->

Postby RobinHood » 07 27, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I’m also in the "You find elk where they are" camp. That big old lead cow has been around the block several times and knows exactly where to find food, water, shelter and safety; the rest follow and learn. The key for we predators is to figure out the most likely places that fulfill these requirements and concentrate our efforts there.
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood