Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Three Weeks From Today

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Three Weeks From Today

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2019 •  [Post 1]

In three short weeks I plan to be heading out for hunting camp. It is getting close, and I am mostly packed up and ready. I still need to verify that my broadheads are hitting where they should, Finish packing things I am still using here, and get ice and groceries. That is about all.
As Elvis sang, "it's now or never, my love won't wait". I think he may have been referring to some girl, but it fits for elk hunting too. :D My love won't wait......past the season opener of August 24th. I will also need several days to travel, make camp, set stands, check cameras, etc. to be ready, so I should leave August 19th.
What is left for you to do to get ready? Hunting preparation time is running out fast now for many of us.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Three Weeks From Today

Postby wawhitey » 07 29, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Im getting my gear together right now for bear season. Heading up to my camp site on wednesday for the thursday opener. Probably kill time until dark on wednesday picking huckleberries.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 07 29, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Man that’s a really early opener! I guess with the rut so far out they should be holding patterns then. If you shoot one you better call the ice wagon fast! Good luck Swede.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 31, 2019 •  [Post 4]

It's crazy how fast another year has gone by... I will have more time off this year to archery hunt then the last 4-5 years that I archery hunted combined... in getting stoked about it
Elkhunttoo

Postby RobinHood » 07 31, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Time is moving way to slow and way to fast! Five weeks left before we head for camp and I feel like I've got too much to do and not nearly enough days to get it done, while at the same time it's taking way too long for opening day to get here. Same thing happens every year and you'd think that after 60+ years of opening days I'd figure it out but NO, I simply rattle on and all of a sudden, it's here. :roll:
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

It is now just under two weeks before I head out for camp. I still need to pick up ice, groceries and a couple of "C" cell batteries. Really there is not much left to do before I start packing. I am looking forward to seeing what if has shown up on my game cameras. I will look them over the day after I arrive, and go in to set up my stands.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Just curious Swede?...

When you get to your camp and check trail cams, if you have a couple with about the same amount of activity, how do you chose which one you will sit? And how long (days) will you stay at that same one before moving?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Elkhunt: I have no special way to determine where or how long to sit at a spot. I don't like to move around much. When I pick a spot, I will take up residence there at least for awhile. If elk have really quit coming around and are not showing up like they did before the season, I will move. At the beginning, I will look for patterns and frequency of visits. I will consider the numbers and what is coming (Bull, big bulls, cows) in to the camera and make a decision.
Swede