Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tracking Tips, Tricks, and Mistakes.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tracking Tips, Tricks, and Mistakes.....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

OK, on the tail of the Meat Care thread, I'll get this one going. Tracking a hit big game animal is much more than following a blood trail. Let's share a few tips, tricks, and mistakes concerning tracking a "hit" elk or really, any big game.

Let's skip past the standard ones that most big game hunters know (try to determine what type of hit it was, mark where you shot from, mark where the elk was standing, note the direction it went, obviously, if you heard it go down or not, wait XX minutes before proceeding, mark every spot of blood). I'll throw out a couple.

Carry a small squeeze/squirt bottle of peroxide (learned this from WW a handful of years ago).

Move slowly when tracking a hit elk. Stop often and listen and "smell".

An elk, even when hit well, may not bleed significantly for some pretty long stretches (depends on the hit, the hit angle, going uphill, downhill, etc.). Learn to tune in to the tracks of the target elk as much as the blood sign. Blood trails can start and stop but tracks are constant. This is crucial.

Realize that bright red/frothy blood does not necessarily signify a lung shot.

Know that elk contain a lot of blood. Just cuz you see blood everywhere, doesn't mean it's gonna go down quickly.

OK, these are just a very few. Tracking an elk after the shot is kind of an art and something that is learned through many years of doing it. Please throw out a few of your after the shot tracking tips.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Tracking Tips, Tricks, and Mistakes.....

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

You mentioned it but it was the first thing I thought of... make sure you are stopping and listening.

The reason you are following blood/tracks is to get to the animal. If we are on a subpar shot then the is a good chance that animal is coughing or moaning.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Get into the mind of the elk you are following. When he makes a turn think about why. Is he sidehilling, going downhill... maybe toward water? If he is heading uphill even a little bit it’s time to back off!

Always look for the turn. When you have been on blood but lose it it’s common to keep looking in the direction you’ve been heading. That might be why you lost it. One missed drop of blood can mean a missed turn and looking in the wrong direction. I’d say a large percentage of unrecovered game was because the animal veered off of the course it had been taking and the hunter missed that crucial turn.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 4]

A wounded elk will try to follow the herd it was with for as long as possible.
Even lone elk will go up hill.
When they make the severe turn I.S. wrote about, they are often near the end of their run.
Look carefully especially at the end of a trail where you see a blood trail.
Running elk kick up dirt and trash so their tracks are easier to follow.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Almost always : don’t move until you see the next sign
I was a better tracker as a kid than I am now
Simply we tracked game, mostly deer just for kicks in all sorts of conditions
I’ll also say there are no exacts. Blood trailing is a simple skill but not all game bleeds
I’ve killed two frontal rifle bulls shot top of heart
Then a second shot each : one in the crease the other in the spine
The first bull mane went 10 yards after the first shot , the spines bull 160 yards

There was a single smaller than a rain drop splatter that looking back From the impact of the 2nd shot forcing blood out of the f out of the first shots hole.

Again practice helps
When younger we often used drags trapping most animals were often close by but sometimes very little sign was left for tracking
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Keep in mind that elk will sometimes back track on you. Example: Once they get really sick it might not take much of a obstacle to turn them around for a short ways and then cut off to the side. And as RJ pointed out, you should always mark every spot of blood you find. I use TP for this purpose. It will deteriorate so you don't have to go back and pick up all your markers later on. You can look back at the trail of TP to get a good idea of the direction to look for the next blood. And I can't stress the use of peroxide enough, especially on older trails.

When things get really tough you can make a measuring stick when you find hoof prints and measure the length of the stride. Place one end on the last hoof mark and the other end of the stick should show you where the next print should be. This is really getting down to the nitty gritty stuff. However, it is covered very well in one of Tom Browns books. Not sure, but I think the title of the book is something like (The Guide To Nature Observation And Tracking). I highly recommend it!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 7]

This is obvious, but worth considering before you shoot. If you make a good shot the tracking job will be a lot shorter and easier.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 8]

This is obvious too but if you use a good bow fishing setup the tracking job will be much shorter and easier.
Attachments
2169F349-8B52-4AEE-B144-A1952AC47780.jpeg
2169F349-8B52-4AEE-B144-A1952AC47780.jpeg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 7894 times
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:This is obvious too but if you use a good bow fishing setup the tracking job will be much shorter and easier.

You may be joking Joe! But if you are old enough to remember years ago there was a gaget called the String Tracker. When you shot the arrow, it unraveled a thin string. So when the deer took off you simply followed the string to find it. :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:This is obvious too but if you use a good bow fishing setup the tracking job will be much shorter and easier.

You may be joking Joe! But if you are old enough to remember years ago there was a gaget called the String Tracker. When you shot the arrow, it unraveled a thin string. So when the deer took off you simply followed the string to find it. :lol:

I was joking but I do remember the string tracker and I actually thought of that when I made the post. This seems to be better though because you can reel the elk in instead of going to look for them.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 11]

That's just silly. Everybody knows you can't reel an elk in with a push button reel. Now with one of the old Mitchel 300's, maybe. "Keep that tip up, don't horse him" :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I had several Mitchell 300s!

Yes sir there is more than one way to catch an elk!
Attachments
CE8C7D93-42B7-4187-93DD-DC769CEC2F44.jpeg
CE8C7D93-42B7-4187-93DD-DC769CEC2F44.jpeg (193.86 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 10, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Stay off the tracks! If you step on them, they are no longer useful to you. Track from the side by 5 yards or so, and use your binoculars to look ahead as you go. They're still good tools after the shot.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Trophyhill » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I think a big mistake is guys just giving up. The frustration of not finding blood can be a huge factor in getting on with your hunt. I made a frontal shot on a monster this year and all I could do was follow tracks! This is all I found after a couple hundred yards. A tiny piece of meat. There was no blood whatsoever. You talk about a stressful track knowing you just arrowed a bull the likes many will never see in the wild let alone get an arrow in. Not a drop of blood! I've never put an arrow into an elk and not found blood until this hunt. Looked like a great shot!
Attachments
2666.jpeg
2666.jpeg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 7608 times
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 15]

David, that sucks big time my friend but it happens.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 16]

David, what makes you say that was a piece of "meat"? Did you handle it? Could it have been some bloody snot blown out from hitting one lung? Just curious. I know it really makes no difference now.
Swede

Postby Trophyhill » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Swede, yes I picked it up. I suppose it could have been something he hacked up.

Rory, believe me, this was just the start of a stressful tracking job. I had never tried to follow tracks because on previous elk there was always blood. Not on this occasion though. I knew the shot was lethal. I called this bull in from probably a half mile away. 2 loud calls and then I shut up and moved toward his bugles until I smelled him. He had to be over 200 yards when I first smelled him. The smell only got stronger as he got closer.

I drew my bow as his head disappeared behind some trees at 25 yards. He stopped at a very hard quartering too angle at 16 yards and appeared to be looking right at me. By this time the 20 yard site pin was settled where the dark meets the tan on his neck. I knew that at this angle if I hit where I was aiming the arrow would go thru the sweet spot and lodge in his offside shoulder but had no idea he would not bleed externally. Only internally. As he raised his head and started to bugle, I drilled him!

Since it wasn't a full on frontal the arrow did not cause as much damage as I would have liked from my perspective, however I'm sure the bull died within 15 minutes.

But anyway back to tracking. I texted my buddy on the InReach which gives coordinates with every text. He found me and we continued following just tracks. It got really difficult when the tracks got mixed in with other tracks. This was so painstakingly slow!

And then this 800 yards later. I killed a bull of a lifetime and when it would have been easy to give up after not finding any blood, very easily could have lost him. "Never give up! Ever!

TrophyHill2019#1.png
TrophyHill2019#1.png (640.94 KiB) Viewed 7527 times

TrophyHill2019#2.png
TrophyHill2019#2.png (803.85 KiB) Viewed 7527 times
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby Tigger » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Perseverance and patience. We tracked a bull for 6 hours this year. He did 2 figure 8s, and countless circles. he never once laid down. the hardest was across a meadow. Always look up and plan where you think the bull would go. This helped many times and many times it was wrong. Tracks helped, but sometimes you cannot follow tracks. Look on standing vegetation. Get down on your hands and knees. If you lose the trail, start circling. Likely he veered off where you think he was going. This bull did this in a meadow and it took us awhile to figure it out, but eventually we found where he left the other 2 elk and went into a jungle of a blow down. I figured we would find him in there. We didn't. He literally got stuck in there but found his way out after a few circles. Circles can really mess with you, but eventually we figured it out. Sometimes we were on hands and knees and would find a pinhead size of blood 50 yards from the last drip. In the end, he got into some fairly thick stuff and must of just meandered for awhile cuz we had what looked like about 8 different trails. We circled around all of it and just couldn't find the exit he used. 2 arrows in him and both guys thought both arrows were perfect hits. I am absolutely confused on why we didn't find him. Not laying down was really interesting. Why didn't he lay down? He didn't run far after the 2nd shot (75 yards or so) then just walked for 6 hours. We were no closer to him after 6 hours of trailing that when we started. He angled down hill the whole time, but wouldn't come out of the timber into the opening by the creek. that is where we lost him....up about 50 - 80 yards into the timber down by the creek. We searched the creek area too. Very possible that he grew wings and flew away.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Trophyhill wrote:Well I guess the cell phone pic file is too big? Kinda like the bull I killed ;) Rory, if you still have my # shoot me a text and I'll text you a pic. Maybe you can resize and post? I killed a bull of a lifetime and when it would have been easy to give up after not finding any blood, very easily could have lost him. "Never give up! Ever!

Pics are up mister. Congrats on staying with it on a tough tracking job and shooting and finding, really, a bull of a lifetime. David (TrophyHill) told me the green score on this beast was 371; man oh man.....
WapitiTalk1

Postby Trophyhill » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 20]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:Well I guess the cell phone pic file is too big? Kinda like the bull I killed ;) Rory, if you still have my # shoot me a text and I'll text you a pic. Maybe you can resize and post? I killed a bull of a lifetime and when it would have been easy to give up after not finding any blood, very easily could have lost him. "Never give up! Ever!

Pics are up mister. Congrats on staying with it on a tough tracking job and shooting and finding, really, a bull of a lifetime. David (TrophyHill) told me the green score on this beast was 371; man oh man.....

Thanks RJ! Indeed a bull of a lifetime! I'm very thankful!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 21]

It is a beautiful symmetrical bull. Congratulations.
I wish you characters would quit acting like the mission was a failure, then pop up with a picture and an addendum to the story. I am still waiting to see the big bull Rosiebull killed. I just have a hard time believing he did not succeed beyond our wildest imaginations. I am still hoping he comes in with a State record.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 13, 2019 •  [Post 22]

I like your quote

“Never give up “
There were some great tips given and maybe this should be put in the archives .

Unfortunately many think a good shot, an expect a blood trail
An sometimes that’s Not the case.
Many can’t ID limited sign become frustrated and depressed we a bit of practice would keep one on track

Glad you stuck with it?

How much time did it take to track that /800 yards?
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 10 13, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Lefty wrote:I like your quote

“Never give up “
There were some great tips given and maybe this should be put in the archives .

Unfortunately many think a good shot, an expect a blood trail
An sometimes that’s Not the case.
Many can’t ID limited sign become frustrated and depressed we a bit of practice would keep one on track

Glad you stuck with it?

How much time did it take to track that /800 yards?

Just as it got dark. Very thankful I had help. It was like a needle in a haystack.

I wasn't so lucky a couple years ago in CO and had lots of blood initially. Made a high hit thru the scap. Again late afternoon/evening hit. I backed out and went back in the morning. I found where he was bedded less than 100 yards from where I hit him. It was crazy. So much blood. But leaving his bed there wasn't much. And less than 100 yards of following blood, I was on my hands and knees following specs. 400 yards on my hands and knees. There were very little tracks because of rock. 6-8 hours of searching will take alot out of a person both mentally and physically. Never found that bull and can only hope he lived.

I would have to say that having extra eyes is a huge advantage. The more the better in this type of situation.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby 2MANY » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Congrats on your perseverance first and a killer bull second.

Way to practice what all archery hunters should.

Where did your arrow enter?
2MANY

Postby Trophyhill » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 25]

2MANY wrote:Congrats on your perseverance first and a killer bull second.

Way to practice what all archery hunters should.

Where did your arrow enter?

Thanks man. It was a very hard quartering too almost full on frontal. The direction he was walking, I fully expected to stop him perfectly broadside with a nervous grunt and drill him thru both lungs. But as usual, the elk had other ideas and made me work. When he stepped out he turned and faced me. I was already at full draw and focused on the softball sized opening in his chest and knew the angle wasn't ideal but had no doubt I could put the arrow where I was aiming and also knew that at that angle the arrow would likely lodge in the offside leg bone. Which is exactly what happened.

The one thing I didn't count on was not having a blood trail and the elk only bleeding internally and being able to go so far! It could have ended alot differently that's for sure. I still struggle with my decision to take that shot "after the fact". I've been in this situation before and waited for a broadside opportunity that never materialized and ended up getting busted and watching bulls flea without me getting the shot.

When hunting solo you really have to expect a frontal and hope for a broadside shot opportunity. That's what I've experienced anyway. And I do call and move if I can but for some reason they still come in head on.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill