Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Does It Matter?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Does It Matter?

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I have at least a half dozen different cow calls not including different diaphragms. They all sound a little different. Some are smooth sounding and some are raspy. Some are a little higher pitched than the others. All are easy to use, but the diaphragms are a little more versatile in the sounds they make. Is one brand or type better than the others? Does it matter to the elk?

Does the wolf care when he hears the call?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Does It Matter?

Postby 7mmfan » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I don't think it matters all that much as long as it sounds like an elk and you have the ability vary tones easily. I'm a big fan of the "cow party", called in a few bulls that way. I like having one call I can use constantly and vary the tone, cadence, and length all over the place to sound like a group of elk chatting away. I have a couple that work well for this. I also like the diaphragm for being able to throw bugles in at a moments notice if needed.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 10, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Here is another "does it matter" question.
I have shot two blade, three blade and four blade broadheads. I have shot coc broadheads and solid spine ones. Some have solid blades and some have replaceable ones. Some are very tough and some have aluminum shafts that can break if they get stuck in a moving bone or muscle, like a leg. I have never shot a broadhead that was not lethal on elk. So again, does it matter?
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 10, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I had to buy new broadheads this year for the first time is several years. I wondered all year about them...so many choices and I'm not sure that some of the expensive ones are that much better then the cheap ones. I figure as long as they fly straight for me, they'll work
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I may say maybe!! :lol:

I take ( and sometimes its a mistake) the generalization of goose calling. There for unknown reasons a certain call maybe louder, high pitch, breaks different or unusual may attract or dissuade individual animals.

Im sure some of you have seen a loud noisy party-time going on herd or flock: and to my ears the emotion all seems to be the same , but all the heads turn towards one bird or elk
Some times we may guess the WHY. or consistent observation believe we know.

Just as I do with a goose call if I get a response from a certain tone, pitch , and rythem Ill continue,.. Or otherwise try something else
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elkhunttoo wrote:I had to buy new broadheads this year for the first time is several years. I wondered all year about them...so many choices and I'm not sure that some of the expensive ones are that much better then the cheap ones. I figure as long as they fly straight for me, they'll work

I wish I would have started out with something cheaper

I get into discussions with some goose hunters. I kill plenty of geese with minimal loss with cheap steel. While other guys spend 5-8 times on shells that end with the exact same results.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 08 13, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I would say that raspy, smooth, etc. isn't nearly as important as knowing when to use them, and how to add emotion to that call.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2019 •  [Post 8]

This is a question I read every year on one or more forums: "What grunt tube is best?"

I have a large box full of grunt tubes and one so big I just stand it in a corner of the room. I have bought grunt tubes, have been given grunt tubes, and I have made grunt tubes. Some are huge, and some rather small. Some look like a section of vacuum cleaner hose, and some like a kids plastic ball bat. As a matter of fact that is where they came from. Many have different tones. Some resonate more than others. I used to think those that resonated sounded better, but do they at a distance sound better to a bull? Does it matter?
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 17, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Swede, what matters is using the right Cadence for the message you're sending when using an elk sound! Reed or bite & blow is just a hunters choice.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Paul thanks for your answer. Whereas I don't know if that is the general consensus of opinion on the question, it is what I generally think is true. Years ago I realized that when elk are silent on one day, they might be coaxed into and response by using a different sounding call. A different bugle or just a different diaphragm. It doesn't always work as there is no one magic sounding call, but there is nothing to lose by changing things up. When the elk are silent what do you do to get a response?
Swede

Postby Trophyhill » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Depends on the user. It definitely matters to me. And the elk have told me that yes it does matter to them too ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Tigger » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

It certainly matters to the manufacturers! how are they going to feed their kids if you don't buy their product?

I say most of them will work fine, but there are some duds out there for most every product.

as for cheap steel shot....no thanks. I have used it. I have used Black Cloud and the like and I will buy the good stuff. The crippling rate is increased with cheap steel in my personal experience. YMMV.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Tigger, are you talking about cow calls or something else?
I hear Hootchie Mama being bad mouthed, but I have heard hunters rave about it too. I suspect it depends on how it is used. I don't see the H.M. out much any more, so I doubt the elk are too familiar with the sound. If I wanted to sound like a herd, a variety of elk sounds would be my preference.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

It's not so much the call itself as it is how you use that call. I can take just one diaphragm call and make it sound like several individual elk. As for the Hoochie Mama, when used right, it is one of the best squirrel calls ever invented if you know how to use it. Just depress the bulb very slowly until you feel the little plunger in the call. Then start pumping on the plunger slow and hard for squirrel barks or fast for chattering sounds.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Tigger » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I was talking about all products in general. For cow calls, I have bought a couple that were completely worthless. But most are okay and some are really, really good (like Wapiti River calls). Some that I think are only okay, I am sure some people thing are the best.
Tigger