Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Day Out

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Day Out

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 1]

So do you know what you plan to be doing on your first day of elk hunting? I plan to get up early, make some breakfast and maybe some soup to go with lunch, then head out for my stand. I can't out maneuver the critters or out run them, so I just wait them out in my stand anymore.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: First Day Out

Postby Indian Summer » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 2]

First day: Up early because partners don’t have much saddling experience. Maybe an oatmeal. Maybe just a vanilla protein shake. 45 minute ride, tie off the horses and sit in the dark listening. As soon as the sky begins to lighten start working east out the ridge trail stopping to listen occasionally. Elk will be crossing from the south side full of grass to the timbered north side and usually the bulls are bugling as they are moving. Lots of times we punch a tag right then and there. If not get to the S bend in the trail and climb up to the high point and sit a glass and listen. Most likely we’ll spot bull to go after and it’s game on.

Day 2: Up to the high country to spend 4 days in spike camp solo. I’ll be cutting firewood for that over Labor Day weekend. Punch tag. Go help partner for two days down low while the upper area cools off then get him up to spike camp.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MtMorgans » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The first day is spent loading horses and driving about 50 miles from home to about 7 miles from the road end. I used to take the trailer all the way in, but am tired of beeting my trailer and pickup up on the last s3even miles so I will pony the horses the last 7 miles and set up base camp. The next day we will pack in 5 miles bakck and have camp set up by mid day and hunt in the evening. Cant wait!
MtMorgans

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum MtMorgans. It appears you have some fine horses to make packing a pleasure. It is great to have you here with us. Keep us posted on how your hunt goes. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RobinHood » 08 15, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Set up camp 3 or 4 days before opener, and spend the downtime making camp comfortable and getting all my hunting gear organized. Might even stop fussing around long enough for a beer or two and some time around the campfire. Opening morning out before light and to our favorite spot, listening and moving slowly trying to find elk. Keep chasing elk until around noon - 1:00 PM then head back to camp for rest (maybe even a nap ;) ) and our big meal of the day, then back out in the evening. Repeat for 20 days or until tags are filled, whichever comes first. :D
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood

Postby 7mmfan » 08 15, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Every year is a little different, and this year will be no different. Our camp grew by 2 hunters this year, and the area I hunted last year on the opener just can't handle 4 guys I don't think. We'll be in the area a few days before the opener so we'll have time to scout and establish a plan. Regardless, that morning will find all 4 of us a couple miles from the road on a good glassing point at least 30 minutes prior to daylight.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 08 15, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Well head into the woods slightly before light working those elk close to the road afternoon if nothing gas happened we will work another area close to the road if it’s been worked we will hit an area
Ride atvs in a couple miles and up 3000 feet
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 15, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I’m gonna dive into a deep elk hole, make a herd bull angry, and watch my hunting buddy give me “the look”, signifying he got a good shot on big stinky. After that, the fun stops :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ