Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Setting the Bar

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Setting the Bar

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Have you thought about a standard for what is worthy of hanging your elk tag on?

Any legal elk cows and spikes included? Bulls only? No spike bulls? 5 point minimum for the first few days then anything goes?

I’m admittedly a fool for 6 point bulls. I can remember a season about 5-6 years ago where I passed on going after 23 different bulls half of which were easy opportunities and then shooting a cow. Oh well. I think one of the biggest factors is how long you have to hunt. This year I’m really happy to have two weeks to hunt in a very familiar area. Knowledge of your area is a big factor too. So for the first half of my hunt I’ll hold out for a 6 point bull only. After that I’ll desperately look for a 5 point bull. When I’m down to about 3 days I’ll kick myself in the butt for passing on bulls and go look for them. Of course they’ll be gone!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Setting the Bar

Postby saddlesore » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Mine is easy.1st hunt is muzzle loader, cows only tag. Second is a rifle season bulls, 4pt or better,but after the chewy 6 x I killed last year,I will be looking for a young, just barely leagl bull
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Mine will vary according to the time I have left. On the first half of the hunt, I will happily pass on a cow and if I go home empty handed, I am okay with that! Toward the end of the week, given the right opportunity, I might plug a cow. Might not. Depends on how many elk we have, how easy a pack out, are we in to elk or not and most importantly, do I want to at the time. I do not fall to the stigma that I am less of a hunter if I do not kill an elk. So if I am excited by an elk, I shoot it. If not, I won't. As Indian Summer said, hunting bulls is FUN! That is what I want out of a hunt. FUN! If it culminates in a harvest, so much the better. But I make my mind up at the time of the opportunity and I have no regrets ever that way.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

This is a tough one for me. I’ve only ever killed one branch antler Bull, but killed numerous spikes. I know the area I’ll be hunting on the opener has some very nice bulls in it, but I’ve just never been one to pass on a legal animal in front of me. I like elk meat to much! I guess I’m still in the phase where filling my tag and feeling like I didn’t waste my non res tag fee is important. One of these days I’ll get to the point where being there and pursuing elk will accomplish that goal.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I sure don't have to kill another elk in my lifetime, but it's a lot more fun eating tasty elk meat than my tag. :lol:
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:This is a tough one for me. I’ve only ever killed one branch antler Bull, but killed numerous spikes. I know the area I’ll be hunting on the opener has some very nice bulls in it, but I’ve just never been one to pass on a legal animal in front of me. I like elk meat to much! I guess I’m still in the phase where filling my tag and feeling like I didn’t waste my non res tag fee is important. One of these days I’ll get to the point where being there and pursuing elk will accomplish that goal.

Nothing wrong with where you are and you can stay there all your life! That is my whole point, do what makes you happy!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:
7mmfan wrote:This is a tough one for me. I’ve only ever killed one branch antler Bull, but killed numerous spikes. I know the area I’ll be hunting on the opener has some very nice bulls in it, but I’ve just never been one to pass on a legal animal in front of me. I like elk meat to much! I guess I’m still in the phase where filling my tag and feeling like I didn’t waste my non res tag fee is important. One of these days I’ll get to the point where being there and pursuing elk will accomplish that goal.

Nothing wrong with where you are and you can stay there all your life! That is my whole point, do what makes you happy!

It helps that my little man (2 years old last week!) devours elk tacos about as fast as I can hand them to him. Have to keep that kid in elk meat.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Only bulls allowed in both my Idaho and Washington areas so that decision is made for us on what to take. That said, it really depends on where my hunting partner and I end up on any given day's hunt. Within a reasonable distance from a trail, neither of us will turn our noses up at a rag horn. If we end up deep, deep in a brushy hell hole, miles away from a trail or road, neither of us will probably shoot anything less than a mature bull. Right or wrong, that's the way we usually roll. Yep, this mindset has resulted in seasons of un-punched tags :|
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 9]

If I am looking for something to brag about a big bull best fills that objective. If I am looking for something delicious to eat, a younger animal is better. Really a good 5X5 is about as good as it gets especially in the early season. I am thinking along the same lines as Saddlesore.

saddlesore wrote:I sure don't have to kill another elk in my lifetime, but it's a lot more fun eating tasty elk meat than my tag
Amen!
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 10]

First good shot. I have just as much fun helping other guys in the group.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby 7mmfan » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 11]

ishy wrote:First good shot. I have just as much fun helping other guys in the group.

I like this. This had been my m.o. for the last few years. It is fun being in the woods with others and helping them get on animals.
7mmfan

Postby Trophyhill » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I have 2 ES tags. Cows are not safe ;) neither are bulls come to think of it ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 08 19, 2019 •  [Post 13]

ishy wrote:First good shot. I have just as much fun helping other guys in the group.

That is the one thing that puts some pressure on me to get my elk on the ground. The sooner I can do that the sooner I can help my partners and the better their chances of killing elk AND having a really good time. I enjoy guiding especially when it’s not a paying client and I really like to see everyone in camp punch their tag. That makes for good times, great pictures/memories, and partners who are interested in sticking with this labor of love because Lord knows it’s hard labor and a good partner is priceless.
Indian Summer

Postby LarryBud » 08 19, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Any legal animal. For us, it’s a 4 point or better on one side.

Calling all Raghorns! Come on over and check things out.
LarryBud

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2019 •  [Post 15]

LarryBud wrote:Any legal animal. For us, it’s a 4 point or better on one side.

Calling all Raghorns! Come on over and check things out.

Go get um LarryBud!
WapitiTalk1

Postby elkstalker » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 16]

For me it's get my kids on some deer, as for two of them it's their first season hunting big game, and then on to elk. Depending on how many deer we harvest (how full the freezer is), I may shoot the first legal elk (cow or brow tined bull), or hold out for something more.
elkstalker

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 17]

elkstalker wrote:For me it's get my kids on some deer, as for two of them it's their first season hunting big game, and then on to elk. Depending on how many deer we harvest (how full the freezer is), I may shoot the first legal elk (cow or brow tined bull), or hold out for something more.

Double thumbs up! What a great year this’ll be for you and the two junior elkstalkers. Looking forward to hearing how your hunt goes. Best of luck to your team of deer hunters.
WapitiTalk1

Postby robloft » 08 21, 2019 •  [Post 18]

I’m not going elk hunting this year but if I had an either sex tag and I had 10 days to hunt the first few days I would like to hold out for a legal bull but after the 4th or 5th day I would imagine any elk that presents a good shot would be in danger. If I had two tags and one was ES and one a cow tag I’d fill whichever I could first. If I saw a cow that presents a good shot I’d fill the cow tag and then look for a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2019 •  [Post 19]

My daughter: she said any elk! Her boyfriend said any elk with the plan of a non resident tag

I’ve softened my stance on any animal
Likely the first 1/2 of the season I’ll pass on cows calves

Last year I made a big choice a big bull stepping into a clear shot at 20 yards to watch my daughters shot
If I would have drawn and shot at the bull by me she never would have had a shot
While my choices don’t always put me atv in the freezer or horns on the wall I get to have experiences most never do

I do have the desire to kill a bigger bull , tag soup isn’t all bad for me except the hassle from my wife
I enjoy the hunting experiences
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Any legal elk for me most years. Although it's becoming increasingly harder to target cows when bulls are showing up first ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby Indian Summer » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Trophyhill wrote:Any legal elk for me most years. Although it's becoming increasingly harder to target cows when bulls are showing up first ;)

That’s not such a bad thing... until you have a leftover cow only tag.

I sold a guy from Illinois a hunt plan about 4 years ago. When he got back he called and told me about his hunt. His partner was a rookie bow hunter and had never been anywhere out west. He killed a bull with his compound bow. The other guy said he could have killed multiple bulls with a compound but he had a recurve and wanted them really close but it just never happened. He told me it was insane. Elk everywhere they went. A sheep herder came through with a big flock so they went to the plan B I gave them. It was even better. But then when he said he saw elk every day he also said “ I never saw a cow. I couldn’t have filled a cow tag if I wanted to” I was pretty surprised. It always interests me to hear stuff like that and I am always thrilled when my hunters take aplan and do better than I did in an area. Especially since they had never been there before. Pretty cool.
Indian Summer

Postby Trophyhill » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Indian Summer wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:Any legal elk for me most years. Although it's becoming increasingly harder to target cows when bulls are showing up first ;)

That’s not such a bad thing... until you have a leftover cow only tag.

I sold a guy from Illinois a hunt plan about 4 years ago. When he got back he called and told me about his hunt. His partner was a rookie bow hunter and had never been anywhere out west. He killed a bull with his compound bow. The other guy said he could have killed multiple bulls with a compound but he had a recurve and wanted them really close but it just never happened. He told me it was insane. Elk everywhere they went. A sheep herder came through with a big flock so they went to the plan B I gave them. It was even better. But then when he said he saw elk every day he also said “ I never saw a cow. I couldn’t have filled a cow tag if I wanted to” I was pretty surprised. It always interests me to hear stuff like that and I am always thrilled when my hunters take aplan and do better than I did in an area. Especially since they had never been there before. Pretty cool.

That's a great story right there!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

Postby Indian Summer » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 23]

The following year they had no Wyoming points si he called and said “Send us to Montana”. So I did and everywhere these guys went they saw bulls. A few monsters too. They loved Montana so much that they were looking for a small piece of property for a home base. Meanwhile they’re racking up Wyoming points. I’d like to hunt with them. Bulls seem to follow them around!
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Setting the bar is easy to do. But when that first legal elk (bull or cow) steps into range, remember, the bar can change rather quickly! The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder! :shock:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 25]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Setting the bar is easy to do. But when that first legal elk (bull or cow) steps into range, remember, the bar can change rather quickly! The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder! :shock:

The whole point of setting... or “pre-setting l” a standard is doing that while you are of sane mind and sticking to it. I think about it all year. Then of course since there are so many variables including what you’ve been seeing and how many days you have left I will reevaluate each night when I lay down to sleep.
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Indian Summer wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:Setting the bar is easy to do. But when that first legal elk (bull or cow) steps into range, remember, the bar can change rather quickly! The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder! :shock:

The whole point of setting... or “pre-setting l” a standard is doing that while you are of sane mind and sticking to it. I think about it all year. Then of course since there are so many variables including what you’ve been seeing and how many days you have left I will reevaluate each night when I lay down to sleep.

I do that too, but I'm weak. That silly spike is going to walk out in front me on Tuesday and it will be game over, despite the pep talk I gave myself saying mature 5 for the first couple days.
7mmfan

Postby jmez » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 27]

A legal elk. Pretty simple for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez