Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Newbie Tagging Elk / Deboned

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Newbie Tagging Elk / Deboned

Postby Swobs » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What is the tagging procedure when packing out a deboned Elk from the backcountry in Colorado? I've looked through the regs and they don't seem to specify when deboning animal. Thanks in advance.
Swobs

Re: Newbie Tagging Elk / Deboned

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Swobs, looks like page 15 of the CO regs explains the procedures. No, it doesn't specifically talk about where/how to attach the tag to a deboned critter.

"You must attach a carcass tag to animals you harvest per instructions on tag. Tags must be signed, dated and detached from the license immediately upon harvest. See image below for where to sign. The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns, antlers or carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consumed. The carcass tag, when dated, signed and attached to the species lawfully taken or killed and lawfully in possession, authorizes the possession, use, storage, and transportation of the carcass, or any part thereof."

I would say that attaching your tag to a large piece of boned out meat (i.e., carcass), immediately after deboning, and before starting your pack out would meet the requirement.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby js80138 » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Swobs

I would suggest calling Colorado Parks and Wildlife to get clarification. The regulation is clear but not specific. I don't want you to run into a game warden with little sympathy for his interpretation of guidelines that are different than yours.

In the state of Colorado proof of sex must be kept on part of the meat or one of the rear quarters at all times.
js80138

Postby Indian Summer » 08 21, 2019 •  [Post 4]

The one difference I’ve seen from state to state is whether they want the tag attached to the carcass/meat or to the head. Many whitetail hunters are used to tying it to an ear or antler so I’d look specifically for that piece of information in the state you are hunting.

If you are hunting in Colorado you probably won’t have to worry about that. Onlyyyyy kidding! :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Another one of those regulations clear as mud

Having been a trapper the Lacey Act has always scared me
Some Federal fish and wildlife guys are total freaks on niturpitation
Check with the local C. O.

Don’t know if the story is true I heard from a fellow that was hassled, his tag was on a buck antlers not on a he boned piece of meat with the scrotum
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H