Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Washington eastside

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Washington eastside

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone have a area I should hunt elk in eastern Washington? Having hunted this side in 3 years!
It's for spikes! Unfortunately I didn't make plans as I had neck surgery last January, feeling really good!
Thought about calling f&g. To see if there's any written by permission only spots near blue. Mountains? Hope its not too late?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Washington eastside

Postby wawhitey » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Northeast corner is any bull. Archery is any elk. Few and far between though, a lot of scouting is necessary to stand a decent chance in this area. But no special permit needed to knock down a big bull if you can find one.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Last time I was there, there were grizzled, stayed at Sullivan park, they told me that is grizzly location area, so I packed up and left! Not a good idea if you hunt alone. Beautiful country, has any of this changed?
lilshootergirl

Postby 7mmfan » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

There aren't many secrets in Eastern WA elk, other than the NE corner. Detaled info on that is going to be hard to come by. In general, my suggestion would be any of the Yakima units. They have the best elk numbers in the state as well as access. Cowiche, Bethel, and Manastash all have plenty of elk, and good access. The problem will be finding a spike and getting away from people. The Blue's have elk, but numbers are down and the country is demanding. FFTH or hunt by permission could be an option. The WDFW website has an interactive map that shows all those locations so you could easily find where they are.

Good luck, get out there an have fun. Enjoy your time in the woods. Don't get to hung up on success, spike hunting in WA is the lowest percentage elk hunt in the west. It happens though, you just never know when one will step out.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby lilshootergirl » 09 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Thank you for the advise! Seems they all head to private land! Permission sounds like the way to go! Good luck
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 09 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Just make sure you have your checkbook. Property owners who have enough land to hold elk AND actually have elk on it don’t just hand out permission slips for free. Private land elk hunting is pay to play except for a few registered in hunter access programs. But that’s the same as public land hunting. Fortunately “all” of the elk will never go to private. As long as there are mountains there will be elk there. Find a place, verify that it holds elk, and stick with it until you learn how to hunt it. That’s free!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro