Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting Scouting and Scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting Scouting and Scouting

Postby Lefty » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Who has been out scouting and whos going out before season.

Saturday my wife and I were riding around The eastern Idaho/Wyoming boarder. Picked a few huckleberries but ran into three different guys scoping out their elk haunts

Looks like my daughter has big plans to get an elk this year. She is going rouge: and plans to sit on a water hole :roll: ,... Desperate times for her. Anyway she going to place cameras on a few water holes
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Scouting Scouting and Scouting

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My brothers saying is..."there is seeing elk and there is killing elk"...sitting can be super effective. We just checked out trail cameras last week... lots of cows and calves and deer... we had a group of cows at 6:30 am, 3 wolves at 9:30, and a black bear at 10:30... kinda tells the story right there
Elkhunttoo

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 08 25, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Went out scouting the other day and saw a NICE 5x5 in a pretty heavily hunted area, so I'm hoping he doesn't go too far on opening day!
Arrowslinger615

Postby Indian Summer » 08 30, 2019 •  [Post 4]

On board flying to Jackson Hole today. A wedding tomorrow then two days of free time. Planning on back packing a chainsaw to my camp to get the noisy work out of the way. I’ll scope out the area just for fun. Eat some huckleberries. I’m excited just to be up at my high camp location anticipating what is yet to come. Have a nice Labor Day weekend!
Attachments
A15D7F61-5601-4308-A330-E02BF9C95C61.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Joe, I’ll be headed out there in a couple weeks. Scouting was done this spring. Good luck.
Elkhntr08

Postby CurlyTail » 08 30, 2019 •  [Post 6]

No scouting for me this year and no trail cams for once. My niece planned her wedding for Labor Day weekend, and work has been too busy. I have been getting prepared for a couple of rifle hunts this falls and my Scouting has suffered.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Indian Summer » 08 31, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Well I’m in my Heaven on earth. I’m not even here to hunt and I am excited! Just driving down the Snake River to get to where the wedding is had me feeling like a puppy dog running around in circles first thing in the morning. Today my good friend Will ties the knot with a great gal who is perfect for him. She’s killed a few good antelope bucks and one really big bull. I’ll take a drive down through elk country because I absolutely cannot resist. Tomorrow morning I don’t anticipate an early start to the day. We’re hitting the lake in the afternoon to swim, kayak and relax. Monday I’ll pack the chainsaw up the mountain picking up about 1500 or 2000 feet in elevation. I’ll cut and stack my wood and look for the perfect place to cache some gear for my future hunts. I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am to commit to a high country spike camp in bull city USA. I’m glad to be able to get the chainsaw work out of the way. I hope the one local guide I share the area with sees it and opts to hunt elsewhere this fall.

Back to sipping my morning coffee and gazing at the mountains. A bad day in these hills sure beats the very best days at work!!! :D
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 31, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Nice Joe. I double . . . . no I “triple dog” dare ya to bugle at the wedding :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 09 02, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I did way more than that. I even danced! That’s as rare as a Bigfoot sighting. :D The wedding was awesome. Outside with mountains all around. Food was fantastic. Will has celiac disease which means no glutens. The cake was a gluten free huckleberry layer cake. I never eat wedding cake. Usually ate too much to do that. But late night I decided to have a piece. Holy smokes!!! I ate 2! Yesterday was a lazy day. Went swimming in the river. Got an early start today trying to top the mountain before it got hot out. We did well getting to the high camp by 10:30. Whacked and stacked 10 days worth of wood. The little lady gathered up enough bone dry twigs for a weeks worth of kindling.

I saw a small herd of about 6 elk in my lower hunting area on the way in around 8:45. One nice looking bull in the bunch. Bow season started the day before and this was the first time I was ever in the mountains during open season and not hunting. It sure felt strange. After I cut my wood I decided to go the last hundred yards to the top. It was super hot out so I knew no sane elk would be out and about. I spotted a big bald eagle when I topped out and as I followed him I noticed something move. Sure enough at 1:15 on a blazing hot day there was a lone spike by the little waterhole. I thought hmmm, on a day like today Swede might get lucky sitting over water. Then I turned and headed back down. The trails up that high were pounded with elk tracks. Everywhere we hiked up there we could smell them. Now I’m really in elk mode!
Attachments
69DE3DAA-54C9-442D-9802-A15385B44D8C.jpeg
6CE9D784-858A-4CC7-8478-EB764A6B80BF.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 02, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Dancing, you? Video or it didn't happen :D. Sounds like beautiful wedding and you a got some camp prep and scouting in; good stuff.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ