Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getting way too close What did you do todyay for elk huntin

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getting way too close What did you do todyay for elk huntin

Postby Lefty » 08 25, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Its hunt or crunch time for some of us now.
Getting ready days before the hunt is different than what Ive been doing THE PAST MONTHS.

So today all the camper bedding is being washed and camper bed will be made. And I am charging my Sonic care tooth brush
Friday my wife and I were glassing and area ( NewJersey Diver you still here? it was on your road) and saw a dozen cows and calve s then 6 big bulls and a spike
set out trail cams and my daughters camper.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Getting way too close What did you do todyay for elk hu

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 25, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Not a darn thing!
Headed back home from Gatlinburg. Got a busy week, but I’ll get in some solid hikes.
Elkhntr08

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 25, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Checked/touched up the edge on hunting knives, dropped cleaning fizzy tabs in my pack bladder and 10L DROM bag, final ckecked/configured EXO pack (track kit, kill kit, new lithium batts in GPS/headlamps and xtra batts for all), packed all hunting clothes in a duffle, and finalized grocery and needed other items list for next weekend. Hiked a bit and shot the Darton. Getting close to being ready ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 08 27, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Woke up way too early. Carried way to much weight around in the form of lumber. Climbed up and down ladders way too much wearing a tool belt that’s too heavy. Yes my job is like preparing for elk hunting year round.
Attachments
412547EA-F714-4298-AF86-36C64DB646B8.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 08 27, 2019 •  [Post 5]

yesterday I took off and did nothing. it kinda felt good. but today, I did a 2.5 miler with my new pack. felt good. I also started prepping our dishes, etc for the trip. T-minus 17 days for us.

Last Friday, 3 of us wore our packs and went up and down my hill and then shot. It isn't the mountains, but it is plenty steep! Got me huffing and puffing.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Pulling all the cookwear out of the camper and running it through the dishwasher
A bit of shooting
Helping my daughter practice / learn calling

We ended up turning up my daughters draw weight.
She bought a new bow , the top limb was set 2 full turns more than the bottom limb
The first
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 08 28, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Made a list. Now to start getting things packed and the Colorado Cylinder Stove broke in. This weekend it’s more practice calling and going over maps again. Nothing like being within 3 weeks of elk camp. I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve.

You’d think I’d learn over the years that there is no sense pouring over Google Earth again... When I arrive at elk camp, where others are camped will determine both where I camp and where I hunt, not my predetermined spots from google earth. It’s as simple as that.

—> Mitch
Old school

Postby Tigger » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I agree it is like Christmas Eve as a 7 year old! I often wonder, if my wife knew how much I think about elk hunting and how excited I am if she would put me in the loony bin. They say that men think about sex every 7 seconds.....combine that with the 3 times I think about elk hunting and over half my time is accounted for! No wonder my kids have to say, "Dad. Dad. DAD!"
Tigger