Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elktember - The Journey

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elktember - The Journey

Postby Old school » 08 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Elktember is upon us. It seems as though I anticipate it all year and then the 2 week hunt is complete and in my rear view mirror in a flash. I’m learning to enjoy the journey, that way the pleasure lasts longer. The anticipation, list making, packing, all the prep - and then the 22 hr trip out west. Savoring the whole process. Very thankful to be able to head west again this year and not taking next year for granted. (But this year did I say I’m going elk huntin) Very Blessed!

Shootem Straight

—> Mitch
Old school

Re: Elktember - The Journey

Postby Indian Summer » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I’m with you Mitch. I actually get some anxiety thinking about how fast my elk hunt will become a thing of the past. That’s sad! But I also find it extremely motivating. That thought is what helps me push myself to go the extra mile every hour of every day. As long as I do that I know I’ll be able to look back on my hunt with no regrets whether I kill an elk or not. I will have truly quenched my thirst for the mountains. I will tell myself that there is plenty of time..... months, to rest my weary bones but there are only a couple short weeks to put them to use for this labor of love.

I read a thread on another forum that was titled “Elk hunting-a game of chance” It basically said just try to enjoy your time in the hills because elk hunting is just a roll of the dice. Several of us outspokenly disagreed. A game of chance is where there is nothing you can do to sway the odds in your favor. Like playing the lottery. Elk hunting is a game of preparation, skill & determination. Persistence and just plain hard work. I enjoy them all starting with staring at maps and filling out my online license application. Even when I know my tag is guaranteed my partner and I do a high five when we see the word Successful. It’s another enjoyable stepping stone in the big picture. Like you I embrace every step.

Best of luck to all of you Wapiti Talkers this season. And I use the word luck lightly. Make it happen!
Attachments
53FF9C61-E9D3-4A16-865E-9AD765158BD2.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Great picture Joe. It's very similar to one I painted several years ago back when I was dabbling in oil painting.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 4]

It's the good and bad with going to the same spot every year. I haven't looked at a map for 3 years, but I have very educated guess where the elk well be because these spots haven't let me down yet. My bow is 7 years old, shoots the same so I don't practice much anymore as a matter of fact I shot 1 time last year before I went out west and it didn't matter I cgot a cow at 30 yard with a perfect shot.
This is my vacation and I well enjoy every year, because one never knows when it's my last year. I plan on going till the mountain get the best of me. Then I can go fishing. Lol. Good luck everyone; enjoy the calm before elktember.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Good luck to everyone this year... be safe, be respectful, and enjoy the ride because it goes by SO fast.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 29, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Old school wrote:Elktember

Savoring the whole process.

Very thankful

Very Blessed!

Excellent
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby six » 09 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Fridaythe13th wrote:It's the good and bad with going to the same spot every year. I haven't looked at a map for 3 years, but I have very educated guess where the elk well be because these spots haven't let me down yet. My bow is 7 years old, shoots the same so I don't practice much anymore as a matter of fact I shot 1 time last year before I went out west and it didn't matter I cgot a cow at 30 yard with a perfect shot.
This is my vacation and I well enjoy every year, because one never knows when it's my last year. I plan on going till the mountain get the best of me. Then I can go fishing. Lol. Good luck everyone; enjoy the calm before elktember.

thumbsup.png
thumbsup.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby saddlesore » 09 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I just got home today. I helped packed Luke Kessler in and spent 4 days wit him and his father . I had as much fun as when I was hunting and I didn't have a tag. I enjoyed his tales of encounters with two bulls. He is seeing elk every day. Only a matter of time before he sticks one .

One can do all the home work they want, but it is still a matter of chance. You do get luckier the more you hunt and the more experience you get.

I am not one to drive myself to the full extent when I go hunting elk. If person doesn't take the time to actually enjoy the hunt,they are missing out on a lot .
I make memories every year whether I put an elk down or not
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 03, 2019 •  [Post 9]

You’re a good man Vince. Looking forward to hearing about Luke and his pop’s hunt when they get off the mountain.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Old school » 09 04, 2019 •  [Post 10]

That’s great Vince - another part of “the process”. Glad you enjoy helping others out - you’re a good man indeed. Hope you get one with your smoke pole this year.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 09 04, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I’m really looking forward to helping my partners this season. One only elk hunted once and didn’t connect and the other has never even seen the west let alone hunt there. I don’t know if we can fill three tags but I think we can punch two. I want to get my elk off the mountain so I can go into guide mode. I’ll hunt harder for them than I do for myself.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby juglow » 09 10, 2019 •  [Post 12]

3 more days and i'll be on the mountain, can't wait ;-)
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow