Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dead elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dead elk

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Friday while at one calling location we go a whiff of Something dead
Saturday my daughter followed the ravens in and found an arrowed elk the shot was a forward mid height double lung barely behind the scapula
I believe the dead cow explained the 4 trucks and all the Parker’s ATV last weekend where they were not suppose to be.
My daughter was able to back track to the likely shot under 200 yards straight up hill boot tracks everywhere

I believe they interrupted a black bear that had just discovered and peeled back some hide and the ravens were just waiting their turn

A3B1C6C2-790D-4836-9BB8-59A73A133D00.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Dead elk

Postby Elkduds » 09 08, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My blood boils when I see an shot/unretrieved animal. Sounds like the one pictured was solidly hit, I wonder how many more the "hunter" will wound and fail to recover?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Elkduds wrote:My blood boils when I see an shot/unretrieved animal. Sounds like the one pictured was solidly hit, I wonder how many more the "hunter" will wound and fail to recover?

Same here ,.. They beat the ground to death but gave up 25 yards away. And with all the vehicles who knows how many people they had in there searching.
The area has some thick dead spruce I would think after hit it made lots of noise and the direction was straight down

I spoke with the ranch hand, he said that group lost one in that area last year,.. his cattle dogs found it .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 09 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I presume your daughter found the arrow in the elk. Assuming the elk was shot and killed legally, I am not going to beat up the hunter. The arrow did not pass through and a blood trail may have been very sparse to nonexistent.
I hunted alone and killed a bull too that I could not find. The area was very brushy and the blood tail stopped within 20 yards. I looked until 11:00 PM and then in the morning until 9:00AM. I knew it was ruined by that time, so I backed out of the area and just came back to see if the ravens would give its location away. Sure enough they did, but it was too late.
I have never hunted off an ATV, but if someone uses one to recover game, it is not an issue with me. I am not condoning it, but don't object either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics