Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Big Bull Down!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Big Bull Down!!!!

Postby Tigger » 09 09, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Not mine, but my brother! He shot a big North Dakota bull yesterday. I can't post a picture yet, but will when I can. Hard to guess score from the picture I saw, but I would guess 340+. Bugling like crazy. Calling back and forth. Finally got him to quit raking and come out of the trees (I say trees and not timber because it is ND and there are very few trees) and towards the cows that were down in the bottom. Shot him at 375 yards! Big, mature animal that my brother got out by himself minus one 50 pound load my dad took. Said the antlers/cape were super heavy. He put a lot of work in scouting and this bull was not in the area where he had located some other big ones I guess. Ironically, bugling by raghorns is the way he found this bull. He heard the raghorns and went to investigate and heard another, bigger raspier sounding bull. Found that one and went, "Wow!". Beautiful curves on the rack...his whaletails are really cool. great 5ths.
Tigger

Re: Big Bull Down!!!!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 09, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Sweet! Congrats to your brother; sounds like one heck of a great shot! Anxious to hear the full story of the hunt and see some pics of the ND beast.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 09 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Pictures or it didn’t happen! I can’t wait!!! I love seeing 330-350 bulls because they are realistic goals.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 09 10, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Brian's bull 1.jpg
Brians Bull 2.jpg
Brians Bull 2.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Brians Bull 3.jpg
Brians Bull 3.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

Here it is! He heard some bugling so up and down the badland ridges he went to find....a couple of raghorns. He wasn't going to blow his tag on a raghorn as it is a once in a lifetime tag. There was a herd of cows there too. But then he heard another bugle in the trees and this one sounded much deeper and raspier. All he needed was a glimpse to know this was a big bull. The big boy was raking (rather destroying) some trees. Brian got to within 400 yards and kinda ran out of cover (imagine that, no cover in ND!). The cows and the raghorn would peg him if he moved closer. He cow called which had no effect on the big bull. But after a little while, a real cow called and that got the big'uns attention! At 375 yards, Brian let him have it. The bull rolled down the hill and got back up and Brian shot him a couple more times just for fun.

Although the pack wasn't long, there was a really steep start to the packout. He took a rear and a front quarter on the first trip. heavy but doable. The last trip was the head and cape. It about killed him. Way heavier than the rear and the front.

He spend many weekends out there this summer and put in a lot of work to make this happen and I am proud of him. he didn't take the easy way out and it paid off with the bull of a lifetime!
Tigger

Postby Joe Schmo » 09 10, 2019 •  [Post 5]

That's awesome!! Congratulations. Hats off to RMEF...re:North Dakota elk!!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 09 12, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Congratulations to your brother Tigger. Nice bull.

I killed a small bull this season, but did not locate it for four days. I am still bummed out about that. Ravens and scavengers are a way to locate your big game animal, but I can't recommend it. I will write up something soon and probably place it on the tree stand forum.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 13, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Awesome bull. There have been some big ones shot out in the badlands this year so far. Glad to see your brother had a successful hunt
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Trophyhill » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Great bull!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby lilshootergirl » 10 18, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Omg you must be thrilled, such a great bull! Fill that freezer now. Congratulations
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Roosiebull » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 10]

beautiful bull!
Roosiebull

Postby Trophyhill » 11 01, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Awesome bull!
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B