Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

SlowPlay Effectiveness

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

SlowPlay Effectiveness

Postby BrowTines » 09 15, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I recently studied Elknut's slowplay procedure. This year, I practiced with it on a number of cold setups without success - because there was no audience. We finally ran into the first bugle of the season on Friday and I used the slowplay routine. It was like textbook and my brother shot a small 4X5 at 18 yards. I didn't even get to the end of the sequence. That is a deadly approach. Has anyone else had success with that?
BrowTines

Re: SlowPlay Effectiveness

Postby Swede » 09 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I am not sure what you or Elknut are referring to as "slow play". I forget these terms and just how they are defined, but I have had success with a short location bugle, move, stay quiet and wait. Sometimes I do that just before I climb into my tree stand. It works. I will get nothing most of the time, but once in awhile an elk comes around to investigate. I had a cow come in this year, but I passed on her. Actually she was 25 yards out in the open, broadside, but looking my way to where the call came from. I did not move and thought I would get a better shot that never materialized. As usual, when elk come in and don't see the critter that called, they leave. I sat there afterward thinking "well that was dumb" on my part.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 09 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

We tried slow play almost every lunch break with only 1 in counter. That bull had no idea what a granola bar is but he does now. That bull is called nick for good reason only hair and 1 blade had blood on it. Now we pay a lot more attention on our dinner break.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Yes it works,(SOMETIMES)! :) When it comes to elk hunting, there is no sure fire /works every time method. Some days are diamonds, some days are coal!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics