Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need help to seal the deal

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need help to seal the deal

Postby JJ Overkill » 09 16, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I’ve called in two bulls within 40yds and they come in behind some brush and won’t come any closer. They do however find it comical to torment me by beating the crap out of little trees. The one this morning a little 5x6, I think he caught just a hint of my sent when the wind shifted unexpectedly on me. He ran into a meadow and stopped and just looked in my direction. I was about 30 yards into the timber. Had I know of the meadow I would have stayed back in the timber 100 more yards. Anyways 4th day of hunting and got two appearances from the only two bulls I’ve heard. Now, how do you make them come in for a clean shot? I’m hunting solo and both time the bulls were to close to back out calling and run back in.
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Re: Need help to seal the deal

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Paul will give you the best advise.

Thursday Friday and Saturday We were nt able to close the deal either:, and like you a number of times the bulls we were unaware of did come in down wind.
Wednesday I watched the herd bull run the other bulls out of the canyon. Thursday that same bull ran off with nine cows when when another bull came strolling into the quakies, that bull was down wind of us. In the AM that bull slipped away. That afternoon the satellite bull literally caught us napping
Even using Plays from the Elknut Play book we had three days of crazy great action with only one bull elk shot opportunity,,,,

I was sure I had a clear shot :oops:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 09 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

JJ, your setups are not working for you. The elk are able to come and see your location before they expose themselves. Often they come in, walk back and forth a time or two then leave. If they don't see the elk that called, they know there is something wrong. You need to be in a place where the elk is well within shooting distance when it can see your location, or you need to move to the elk before it ever shows itself.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JJ Overkill » 09 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

[attachment=0]2A20C638-29F2-4759-A2CC-66E5FCB81E38.jpeg[/attachment]

Swede, this is where the first elk came to within 33 yds. I had a better shooting lane at 50 but he literally ran through it before my mind said stop him. I pulled him away from a group of cows, down a 600’ ridge he was on. He came in on a string just didn’t expect him to get so close. As thick as it was I don’t think I could have moved towards him with out being busted. He was in that little opening racking before he left.
Attachments
2A20C638-29F2-4759-A2CC-66E5FCB81E38.jpeg
2A20C638-29F2-4759-A2CC-66E5FCB81E38.jpeg (369.69 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
PSE PRO STAFF since 2013,
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Swede » 09 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

JJ, moving is almost impossible if the elk is in sight. He know where you called from and is looking there for you. All movement on your part needs to be done right after the call so you are in an unexpected place when he arrives. You will read about callers throwing their voice like a ventriloquist, but I have never made it work reliably. Elk can come in for over a 1/4 mile and pinpoint exactly where you called from.
Lefty is right about Elknut knowing how to work a setup, but he may be hunting for awhile. I believe he would tell you the same thing I have.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wyo67 » 09 17, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Any luck with raking? As the other guys have discussed, make sure your calling location or setup is in a spot where they will have to pass through a shooting lane in order to see where the calls are coming from.
Wyo67

Postby Lefty » 09 17, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Wyo67 wrote:Any luck with raking? As the other guys have discussed, make sure your calling location or setup is in a spot where they will have to pass through a shooting lane in order to see where the calls are coming from.

We raked, we cow called, we stomped our feet, broke branches,.. all sorts of bull and cow sound.. We were in so many elk they didnt care,.. what we did

Many of our set up are in the thick. Like swede mentioned

I love the real thick spruce but they can still quietly sneak in
Some of our set ups Im 15-30 yards behind the shooter, and it is tough or we cant see each other when standing or moving. Often the long shot would be 20 yards and you couldn't see 50 yards even a rifle shot would be limited to 40 yards or less in more open timber I use ridges, and small thickets to call from behind

But again sometimes al those elk wont care

One of the first bulls I ever called in to me solo hunting in the desert
I could see 60 head, atleast 6 bulls I was under 100 from the closet elk. after two hours,.. limited cow calling.. some bugling, some raking(sagebrush) I began smacking a nearby sage with my bugle,.. Just an off sound that was enough to interest a bull to walk my way.

but I may be the wrong guy to listen too. I can find elk,.. just dont seal the deal either 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

How'd ya do Jeremy?
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B