Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why we need a grizzlies hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why we need a grizzlies hunt

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

[url][/url]https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/grizzlies-force-closure-in-the-gravelly-range/article_3ccae1dc-7b63-53aa-9259-c9a464d2d3f4.html
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Why we need a grizzlies hunt

Postby elkstalker » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

This is right in my backyard, I won't hunt many areas due to the elevated griz presence. The Gravelies have been known for Griz for many years now, if you hunt there better be ready for them, I tend to stay away from areas they are frequently sighted, but on any given day you could potentially run into one anywhere in SW Montana...
elkstalker

Postby RAMMONT » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

elkstalker wrote:This is right in my backyard, I won't hunt many areas due to the elevated griz presence. The Gravelies have been known for Griz for many years now, if you hunt there better be ready for them, I tend to stay away from areas they are frequently sighted, but on any given day you could potentially run into one anywhere in SW Montana...

I'll second what you said.

I live in the Elliston/Avon area, in the middle of the two largest grizzly areas in Western Montana. We don't see grizzlies often but just about every year they have to move at least one aggressive bear from the area back in to the Bob Marshall or Yellowstone. My wife and I carry a weapon almost all the time, even when we do chores around the property. That's the roof of my work shop which is attached to the house.

Bear on top of garage May 31 2014.jpg
Bear on top of garage May 31 2014.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
RAMMONT

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

elkstalker wrote:This is right in my backyard, I won't hunt many areas due to the elevated griz presence. The Gravelies have been known for Griz for many years now, if you hunt there better be ready for them, I tend to stay away from areas they are frequently sighted, but on any given day you could potentially run into one anywhere in SW Montana...

Just talk to a fellow whose wife told him to come home
He mention the bear is now wounded, and the bull elk haven’t been doing much so he was going home for a few days
He stated guys were packing up with out being told
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wawhitey » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 6]

You guys are ridiculous. There is no need to hunt grizzlies. Or black bear, cougar or wolves for that matter. Theyre beautiful animals and play an important role keeping herds healthy by preying on the unfit.

Just kidding.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for posting a proper link IS

Last week I visited with a hunter from Nevada who hunting that exact area
Part of the reason he is hunting there was because others wouldn’t be

I got stopped this afternoon by Forest Service worker he was checking that I had spray.
Then told me he would never archery hunt in grizzly country
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:You guys are ridiculous. There is no need to hunt grizzlies. Or black bear, cougar or wolves for that matter. Theyre beautiful animals and play an important role keeping herds healthy by preying on the unfit.

Just kidding.

I was trying to come up with an equally smart reply

So a totally different paragraph
But I’m sitting in my truck where I could call my wife
The temp was 45 when I stopped and a layer of frost just dropped down so thick it looks like snow
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I just got back from the Gravellys. I was right there, a few miles from where this happened. My buddy talked to the buddy of the 2 guys who got mauled. We only saw 2 griz and maybe heard another, but one had his home area 600 yards south of our camp based on sightings, an old elk carcass in timber that he was gnawing on, about 40 piles of scat in an area the size of your living room and other scat scattered around. there are too many, pure and simple, at least in this area. In addition to the 3 maulings, there was 11 sighted in a drainage that was very close to us according to the log book in the remote forest service cabin we rented. Then, a few miles to the east, there were 30...yes 30! in one drainage eating on dead moo cows (suspected larkspur poison did in the cows). Then, when the dead bovines were eaten, we heard they killed a few more.

I watched one at 1177 yards. He turned and started walking right toward us (totally random, he didn't see us). As soon as he took about 25 steps, the hair on the back of my neck started twitching! It was getting dark....it was a good time to head back to camp.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:,,,I watched one at 1177 yards. He turned and started walking right toward us (totally random, he didn't see us). As soon as he took about 25 steps, the hair on the back of my neck started twitching! It was getting dark....it was a good time to head back to camp.

It is quite exhilarating having a griz walk towards you,.. even from a long ways away.
Where I'm hunting I guess the ranchers really rose a stink, Dont even know if its true,,, but many claim that they take problem bears and dump them in our areas,.. and when the grizzlies cause trouble on a ranch ,.. the problem disappears.

I do know there are numbers that are not record. Speaking to a ranch hand he was saying a whole lot of sheep got killed , then the whole pack of wolves removed. And I thought we normally heard about the big incidents.
Last week I spotted what I thought was the beginning of a mining operation. My curiosity got the best of me,.... I took a long hike to the spoil pile. Two crazy deep holes a few feet wide. One was filled in and a spoils to the side. Evidently the "dead sheep grave" and was it for the wolves too?
Lefty