Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2019 Season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2019 Season

Postby Kessler10 » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Had my best season yet in terms of shot opportunities, encounters, and amount of elk I saw within 100 yards.
I had a shot at a rag horn bull at 30 yards. He was behind a big deadfall log but his vitals were in view. I took the shot and to my surprise I didn't see the arrow bury into him. I went to look for my arrow. I first looked down and found 1 single fletching laying there. I then found my arrow to the side. Apparently the one tiny 1/2 inch round branch that was sticking up hit one of my fletchings taking it clean off my arrow and knocking it off course, clean miss. The branch was so small that I couldn't even see it in my peep view when I was aiming. I coudn't hit that branch again if I shoot 1,000 arrows. I was literally a millimeter away from getting my bull.
This bull came in silent. It all happened in 30 seconds. I saw him walking through the timber and could see he would walk by me at about 30 yards and there was only one place I could stop him for a shot. When I first saw him I could not confirm if he was a shooter (needed at least 4 points on one side). I knocked an arrow and then got a quick look again as he was moving through, and saw he was shooter (4x4 raghorn in velvet). I drew back and stopped him in the only spot I had a shot at 30 yards.

Another encounter I had I was walking through a bench and came up over a small mound and a bull jumped up from his bed and started running. I ducked down and let out a cow call. I could see him stop and slowly started walking back to where he was bedding. I coudln't believe it!!! He started coming back and I drew my bow as I was hunched down. I peeked up and could see him standing there where he had been bedded. He then plopped down and went back to his bedding position. I could not believe it. I waited there for at least an hour watching him. I was 35 yards away from him, wind was good. He was laying with his back to me. He eventually got up and walked to the other side of the mound where I assumed he was getting a drink of water or just moving to get more comfortable. When he didnt return to his bed I took my boots off and snuck up to him. I peeked over the mound and he popped up again but could not get a shot.

Another encounter I had I was again solo and called this bull into 35 yards. But he came directly at me and stopped facing me. No shot. I am only comfortable with a frontal shot at 20 yards or less. Hunting a lot solo its such a challenge for me to get them to come within that 60 yards. Had several encounters where they just wouldn't come any closer (they stayed in 60-100 yards). Having another caller would have been a key for me to seal the deal on some of these encounters. I did hunt with my dad for a bit and my brother in law for a bit but neither of them are avid callers.

I then had 3 different spikes come in within bow range with clear shots. Buit cannot shoot a spike with my permit, so that was a bummer.

All in all it was an awesome season and I wouldn't change a thing. Learned a lot, got more knowledge about the area, and will give it another go next year. My time will come soon enough
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: 2019 Season

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Good story to read. Keep at it as your day will arrive.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Thats rough man. A rogue branch stole this buck from me at last light one day in november last year.
Attachments
12040550-800x600.JPG
12040550-800x600.JPG (67.48 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 4]

You gave it maximum effort. Proud of you. I thought for sure you would stick one.

Sorry I missed your phone call early last week, I didn't get back into the house until late afternoon

I'll try to shoot that raghorn down there in late October.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Congrats on a good season Luke. I’ve been waiting to hear from you. Can you go back and use that license in gun season? You need to put one on the ground! Have anyone in mind for a partner? I think you’d do better and have more fun. Just make sure it’s the right person.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro