Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Almost time....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Almost time....

Postby Tom Grates » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The last year I have been doing everything to make this year more enjoyable.
I have dropped a little over 30 pounds, ran before work (5k), hiked a minimum of 5 additional miles daily, got my cardio level to excellent, read, replaced inferior gear and most of all prepared my mind mentally.
I was fortunate enough to be asked to be partners with a very knowledgeable Hunter, more of a mentor.
Last year although not successful with an elk, I was successful with knowing what I needed to do to better my odds on a bull.
I have slept elk, dreamt elk, had elk on my brain all day at work, all I can do is think elk.
A shout out to Indian Summer for my addiction! I could have no better hunting partner.
Let's get this done!
Good luck everyone, and thanks for letting me creep on this page.
Tom Grates

Re: Almost time....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Twitch, twitch....fidget, fidget. I feel your anxiety and longing for the only thing that will quell your symptoms, the elk woods. Good luck on your hunt Tom. I hope your partner brings something good to sip on besides that nasty rum :?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tom Grates » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Yeah, did not know full grown men could act like this. Ha ha
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I think all real elk hunters have these symptoms to one extent or another. It is probably hard to believe, but I am already looking forward to the 2020 hunt and making plans.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I think all real elk hunters have these symptoms to one extent or another. It is probably hard to believe, but I am already looking forward to the 2020 hunt and making plans.

This. And I haven't even gone on the 2019 hunt yet!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:
Swede wrote:I think all real elk hunters have these symptoms to one extent or another. It is probably hard to believe, but I am already looking forward to the 2020 hunt and making plans.

This. And I haven't even gone on the 2019 hunt yet!

Im already making all my 2020 hunting plans too. I already know what my plans are for the rest of this year, and sitting on a boat for two months leaves a guy plenty of time to think ahead about what comes next. Ill have some idaho tags in my pocket next year. Deer wolf and probably bear anyway. Have a running list going of areas in wa that i need to scout this winter after deer season. Kill 2 birds with one stone, scout / hang cams in areas i need to look at more closely, and hunt cats and dogs in the process
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I talked to one of our 2020 partners last night. We’re getting a deposit down on the horse trailer because there’s only one available. He asked if him and his brother should buy another point since they both have 10. I said always! Tom and I are down to zero points and I want to help another guy who is buying a hunt plan get a license. Never too many points!.

Partners are just that... 50/50. I’d say I’m just as lucky as Tom to have a solid partner. As everyone here knows finding the right guy isn’t easy and it’s really important. I’m pretty sure he’s more prepared than I am. It’d be great if he tags a bull in the first day or two. But if not it’s motivating me to hunt really hard to punch my tag so I can give 100% to helping him kill his first bull. Then I know I’ll have him hooked for sure. Not that he already isn’t. Not to mention the physical preparation he has so much invested in elk hunting now that he needs to kill two bulls to bring the cost of meat down to $40 a pound! :lol:

After elk this year, and elk next year, we have a bear hunt booked WAY up in Saskatchewan for 21 and a fly in moose/caribou hunt in Alaska scheduled for 22. We had to find something to do while we buy our two elk points to get back to elk hunting. We have a 6 year plan counting high country mule deer. Thanks for the kind words partner. Feeling are mutual!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 8]

T minus 4 days. Rained out from work today so getting a few last minute items packed. Going to winterize the toy hauler today since I have time. It’s been getting much colder here. Everyone is talking about the wintery weather out west. Some guys are pushing the panic button asking me if elk are going to migrate out of the area in their hunt plan. Yes it snowed and there is the regular cold days that come and go but highs are regularly in the 50s so the south slopes are melted off and I guarantee those bulls haven’t even thought about marching down slope. That’s one thing nice about the area I hunt. I don’t have to deal with any 10,000 foot elevations. I’m at 6500-8500 feet so I’m not worried about getting snowed in or elk relocating. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Go get um guys!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Joe Im at 4500 we started the morning out at 45 degrees. At 7:30 it was 37. Then the front hit us with 28 degrees and 2 inches of snow. Its still October so it could be all melted by the time you get here,.... or another 30 inches of snow
Drive safe
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H