Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Looking for referrals and advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Looking for referrals and advice

Postby toolman » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

My buddy and I that have hunted together for the last 25 years are finally going to do an outfitted/D.I.Y. drop camp...hoping to hunt for 10 days and not see another hunter...
we have all the gear, from base camp canvas wall tent and stove to over night gear in case we dont make it back to base camp.

not sure if it is worth the extra effort of a D.I.Y. drop camp that we bring our own stuff and spend a day to set camp up...or do an outfitted drop camp that is ready to go and all we have to do is get there and start hunting. I know we will need to bring food, propane personals etc. depending on outfitter.

looking for tips, advice and referrals of good outfitters...

we are looking at Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho or our home state of Oregon

Thanks in advance...to the folks on this board with the most informative and less jaCk A$$ responses I've ever found
toolman

Re: Looking for referrals and advice

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Buy a Wyoming point right NOW. I could set you up with a Montana outfitter for a really nice drop camp. But I can’t see doing that in an area you’ll have to pay to hunt every year when you have everything you need to hunt for free in your own spot. Learn it and keep hunting it for FREE.

Check out the link below. Headin West Hunt Consulting offers detailed DIY elk hunt plans and you can have a base camp, a pack in camp, or both depending on what you want. I can definitely put you somewhere that you won’t see anyone else if you’re willing to invest some time and effort. I can also give you contact info for a horse guy who can drop two off ready to walk in and out to make getting elk and camp back to the truck much easier.

You have the gear. You’re motivated. Just do it! If you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

http://www.headinwest.net/DIY.html
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 3]

One of the best outfitters in Colorado, located where the biggest elk herd in Colorado resides is J bar H outfitters ( Jeanne Horne) that hunts in Unit 12. That is about 30 miles south of Craig Colorado.

Voted outfitter of the year a few years ago, was on the CPW commission for a few years.

Spectacular hunting area, great camps in prime elk habitat.Full guided or drop camp to one of her camps.Very knowledgeable staff and very courteous, great live stock, and excellent equipment.You would not be dissatisfied. Most of her clients are repeats so it is harder to get signe dup
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 4]

toolman wrote:hoping to hunt for 10 days and not see another hunter...

I don’t think that’s possible in Colorado
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like you just want a secluded / catered remote hunt

Every once n a while that would be nice

In the lower 48 I don’t know if not seeing any people is possible over 10 days
Maybe some of the wilderness areas in Idaho you could go days without seeing people, maybe!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I know some non wilderness spots in Wyoming where you can do that. Nobody but a couple outfitters back country camp. Everyone starts at the road each morning. Hunting is good enough closer to the road so if you go about 8 miles in you’ll be alone.
Indian Summer