Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pre dawn calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pre dawn calling

Postby 7mmfan » 10 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Something I've always wondered about so I figured I'd float the question to you experts. Usually in the first couple days of the season in Idaho where we hunt, the elk can still be herded up with active rut activity, sometimes pretty intense. I've never used a bugle to do any locating predawn because I'm nervous about getting an animal moving towards me before I can shoot. Is this even worth worrying about? Would a simple locator bugle a half hour before light be a tool you'd consider using?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Pre dawn calling

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

7mmfan wrote:Something I've always wondered about so I figured I'd float the question to you experts. Usually in the first couple days of the season in Idaho where we hunt, the elk can still be herded up with active rut activity, sometimes pretty intense. I've never used a bugle to do any locating predawn because I'm nervous about getting an animal moving towards me before I can shoot. Is this even worth worrying about? Would a simple locator bugle a half hour before light be a tool you'd consider using?

First and foremost, I always try to locate target bulls via unsolicited bugling, and, elk can be and often are, very vocal as they move from feed to bed. No squawking on my/your part is necessary... just follow their movements using their vocalizations and try to plan and execute an intercept course. I mention their vocalization from feed to bed and similarly, from bed to feed, for a reason. For the most part, you are not going to pull a bull (call one in) from a moving herd. They are on a mission and will not come a running and leave the herd unless you're right on top of them and even then, chances are slim to pull one off the moving herd. So yes, if you're sitting in pre-dawn darkness, getting to ready to hunt an area and don't hear anything bugling out there in the darkness... there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing out a locator to try to get a fix/location before you dive in. If it's dead quiet, just use a couple of loud cow calls to start... its amazing how far they travel in the still of the mountain morning. And as you know, the elk rut is all about the cows. As long as their is even just one cow in a small herd that has not "taken", she will continue to come into a second even a third estrus cycle as needed (yep, into October) and the bulls will continue to be excitable and vocal. Have a safe and successful trip 7MM!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

You can go out in the evening too and locate bulls for the next day. They don't move far at night. Personally, I would not bother with cow calls as I just want to get an answer. They will respond to a location bugle. It does not matter if they are with a herd or not. As RJ said, they won't leave the herd, but will often bugle back. If I a night calling, I like to get 100 plus yards from my truck before I call. You can still cover a lot of area by going from one location to another calling and listening.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 10 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Good info guys. It makes me more comfortable letting a locator bugle out knowing the consensus is that they won't bail on the herd to come check us out. Where we're hunting will most likely be 3-5 miles from the truck, so I won't be in there the evening before I don't think. I'm confident they'll be there, but it would be nice to get a feel for where they are in the basin before light so I can position myself appropriately.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Fullabull » 10 02, 2019 •  [Post 5]

It's the first thing I do when I hit the trail. Let out a location bugle and then head in the direction I get a response from. If you don't call you won't know they are there ;)
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot