Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last call!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last call!

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

For Wyoming preference points. It only takes 2 to get a license. You can buy them until the end of October. Don’t put it off and forget. If you’ve never hunted the Cowboy State you truly don’t know what you’re missing. We leave a week from tomorrow.
Attachments
BB7DEAD9-9739-4D89-84CC-7FF3AE550115.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Last call!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 03, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Hunting partner and I bought our points this year. If my math is correct, we now have 3 points and perhaps next year is the year we will head down to the Cowboy state for elk.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2019 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Hunting partner and I bought our points this year. If my math is correct, we now have 3 points and perhaps next year is the year we will head down to the Cowboy state for elk.

It’s all flat so packing is really easy. :roll:
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I guess I should check back,.. Had a stack of points years back,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby jmez » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 5]

You lose them in WY if you go 2 consecutive years without applying for a license or buying a point.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Lefty » 10 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

They would be gone,.. its been too long
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby robloft » 10 07, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Hopefully next year I can cash mine in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 8]

robloft wrote:Hopefully next year I can cash mine in.

How many do you have? Looking at a specific unit or applying for a general license?
Indian Summer

Postby Tuckman » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Is it worth cashing points in once you get two or is it worth holding out? Can you get that much better of a unit for say 3-4 points?
Tuckman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Tuckman, Indian Summer is out of cell service in the WY backcountry for another week or so. I’m sure he’ll answer when he gets back. I’m not too smart on the whole WY points thing so I’ll defer to IS ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum. 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby jmez » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 11]

You could draw a pretty good unit with 5 last year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

Postby Wyo67 » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Tuckman wrote:Is it worth cashing points in once you get two or is it worth holding out? Can you get that much better of a unit for say 3-4 points?

There are a lot of variables that really only you can answer. How long are you willing to wait to hunt in WY? What kind of access is there available for the unit that requires less than 2 points? Are you willing to pay the extra money to enter the Special draw (which will lower the number of points needed)? What kind of hunt are you looking for (one to gain experience or holding out for a trophy)?

With the way points are creeping, it may take 3-4 points for a non-res to draw a General tag as soon as next year anyway. There was a 25%ish chance you could draw with 2 this year, but 3 was required to guarantee a tag. Some trophy units are now requiring 11 or more to draw.
Wyo67

Postby jmez » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Unit we hunted this year the special draw took more points than the regular draw did.
jmez

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Tuckman, Indian Summer is out of cell service in the WY backcountry for another week or so. I’m sure he’ll answer when he gets back. I’m not too smart on the whole WY points thing so I’ll defer to IS ;)

Does this mean we could start a tread about I S during his absence or maybe hijack his Harley??? :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 15]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Tuckman, Indian Summer is out of cell service in the WY backcountry for another week or so. I’m sure he’ll answer when he gets back. I’m not too smart on the whole WY points thing so I’ll defer to IS ;)

Does this mean we could start a tread about I S during his absence or maybe hijack his Harley??? :D

Of course 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Welcome to the forum Tuckman.
>>>---WW----> wrote:Does this mean we could start a tread about I S during his absence or maybe hijack his Harley???[

Sure we should. Indian Joe would do the same to honor one of us.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 23, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Indian Joe??? I remember that name from when I lived in Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn country along the mighty Mississippi. I thing Joe just got a new WT user name! :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Tuckman » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Wyo67 wrote:
Tuckman wrote:Is it worth cashing points in once you get two or is it worth holding out? Can you get that much better of a unit for say 3-4 points?

There are a lot of variables that really only you can answer. How long are you willing to wait to hunt in WY? What kind of access is there available for the unit that requires less than 2 points? Are you willing to pay the extra money to enter the Special draw (which will lower the number of points needed)? What kind of hunt are you looking for (one to gain experience or holding out for a trophy)?

With the way points are creeping, it may take 3-4 points for a non-res to draw a General tag as soon as next year anyway. There was a 25%ish chance you could draw with 2 this year, but 3 was required to guarantee a tag. Some trophy units are now requiring 11 or more to draw.

We have been hunting in Colorado the last 8 years OTC and every year it just keeps getting worse and worse. I have family and friends out there and the pressure increases we see year after year are just down right depressing. Don't get me wrong we have had some great hunts over the years, but with the OTC tags it is just getting out of hand. A few years ago we decided to start getting points in WY with the thought even if we can only hunt every 2-3 years and the hunt was better it would be worth it.

We each have 2 points going into 2020 and will not be hunting next year either, as we will be doing a moose hunt instead, so 2020 will yield a 3rd point. So going into the 2021 season we will have 3 points each. I would say yes we would absolutely pay the extra money to enter the special draw, and no trophy needed. While I have hunted in CO for 8 years and multiple people in the group on our hunts have filled their tags, I have yet to punch my 1st archery tag! We are just so lost on really where to start with WY (other than accruing points).

Thanks for the help!
Tuckman

Postby Wyo67 » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Tuckman wrote:
Wyo67 wrote:

We have been hunting in Colorado the last 8 years OTC and every year it just keeps getting worse and worse. I have family and friends out there and the pressure increases we see year after year are just down right depressing. Don't get me wrong we have had some great hunts over the years, but with the OTC tags it is just getting out of hand. A few years ago we decided to start getting points in WY with the thought even if we can only hunt every 2-3 years and the hunt was better it would be worth it.

We each have 2 points going into 2020 and will not be hunting next year either, as we will be doing a moose hunt instead, so 2020 will yield a 3rd point. So going into the 2021 season we will have 3 points each. I would say yes we would absolutely pay the extra money to enter the special draw, and no trophy needed. While I have hunted in CO for 8 years and multiple people in the group on our hunts have filled their tags, I have yet to punch my 1st archery tag! We are just so lost on really where to start with WY (other than accruing points).

Thanks for the help!

Based on what you've described, I would not recommend a Wyoming general area - at least in the Snowy Range and Sierra Madres. From what I've seen in the Wyoming general areas bordering Colorado the past few years, hunter pressure is continuing to increase there as well in both archery and rifle. Probably not as much what you've seen in Colorado OTC areas, but with Wyoming general tags being OTC for residents, I can't see it getting any better anytime soon. I've only hunted those areas the past few years, so I can't speak for the other Wyoming general areas around the state. The goHUNT program is kind of pricy, but it will do the filtering and allow you to see what areas you can draw with your available points in both the special and regular draws. Since you have the time though, you can do that research yourself with all of the info available on the Wyoming Game & Fish website (regular and special draw odds/hunt area info/etc.)

Good luck.
Wyo67

Postby Daniel-J » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Good photo. I am going to visit this place during the year. I hope I'm lucky. Who knows in what period it is especially good with animals?
Daniel-J

Postby Indian Summer » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Tomorrow is the last day folks. I wish I could buy a point but my partner and I drew tags this year so we can’t. But we went 2 for 2 both killing bulls this year. I’ll post that thread later this week once I get everything put away. I was seeing about 30 elk per day and two shooter bulls plus countless spike.

For those if you wanting to get started in Wyoming but not sure where to begin contact me and we can talk about a hunt plan. Headin West Hunt Consulting specializes in DIY elk hunting plans in Wyoming and Montana. You and your partners can split the cost, skip the learning curve and get right down to camping and hunting in proven areas. Good luck!

http://www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Excited to hear your tale of the hunt.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby southernelk » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 23]

got my points. I plan to pull the trigger in a few years when my son finishes college. can't wait. look forward to working out a plan with you indian summer.
southernelk

Postby robloft » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Indian Summer wrote:

How many do you have? Looking at a specific unit or applying for a general license?

I have two now. Not sure what next year is gonna look like. I have another baby on the way and my wife said it wasn’t looking to good for me heading west next year.

robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 25]

robloft wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:

I have two now. Not sure what next year is gonna look like. I have another baby on the way and my wife said it wasn’t looking to good for me heading west next year.

Why not? Choose your words with care. “Honey I love you and I love being a great father but is there a reason I can’t slip away for a week (don’t tell her you’re going for 2!) and do something that is a real passion of mine? I’ll be an even better man for it when I get back babe” wink ;)
Indian Summer

Postby robloft » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 26]

[/quote]

Why not? Choose your words with care. “Honey I love you and I love being a great father but is there a reason I can’t slip away for a week (don’t tell her you’re going for 2!) and do something that is a real passion of mine? I’ll be an even better man for it when I get back babe” wink ;)[/quote]

Ha I may try that but I doubt it will work. She said we have to go on a family vacation before I can go elk hunting again. I tried to talk her into making the elk hunt into a family vacation but no luck so far.

robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 27]

There’s not a woman (or man) who wouldn’t enjoy a vacation in the Jackson/Tetons/Yellowstone area. The past two years I’ve gone there. I bounce around like a tourist and then spend 2 or 3 days in the mountains hiking and eating huckleberries. Tell her you know a good travel agent and give her my number. :D
Indian Summer