Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho luck

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho luck

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 1]

We had a emotional elk trip this year as well.

Sunday afternoon around 3 the temps were in the high 70s and we were working a ridge that ran north and south. The west side was a big bowl that was pretty thick and the east is more open but it has dark timber pockets. With 3 of us it was easy one calling and the other 2 take a side. A few cow calls into the set up a bull was trotting our way on a string he stopped at 25 yards and looked right at me i was at full draw and let the arrow fly. That where things went wrong I was pretty sure I hit him but to my recollection I hit low (dang elk fever ). He took off running and i started cow calling to slow him down, which worked. The bull started walking and he disappeared into the trees.
We waited 20 minutes and started looking for the arrow, with no blood, no hair and no arrow. We decided to wait a hour and half. At 430 we started down the trail we lost track after 40 or 50 yards and still no blood we fanned out walking trails to look for any signs about at the 150 yard mark there is a big crash up in front of us and there going my bull now walking on the bottom side of a cliff, so we got together and decided to find where he was bedded to look for blood because we are still not 100% sure I hit him. Yes sir there was blood about a dollar size pool of blood, now what its 5-530 so we decided to back track to see if it was bleeding a lot or a little. We followed dime size spots for about 100 yard to a pool where he must have stood. As a group it seemed like a easy decision back out come back in the morning let him expire with only 2 hours of light and a live bull. Morning came and we got on the tracks slowly moving hopefull we had the right tracks after a hundred yard a little speck of blood yes, we are on the right tracks. With very little blood at the ground turning to rocks the elk had a choice to make, up a little finger or down because straight was a 10 foot climb on sheer rock almost straight up. Could not find anything nothing up or down, my brother part billy goat went straight and sure enough there he laid on a 5x10 bench in the middle of a cliff hiding behind 1 tree. High 5s and a bunch of pictures. Now the fun part he was in such a spot we decided to tie paracord to both end and lower the quarter down 125' to get him off the cliff.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: Idaho luck

Postby Indian Summer » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Congratulations.

Pictures! I’m excited. Leaving tomorrow after work. At that point things will just have to fall into place. Isn’t it amazing how you can cover every base and by day 1 some unforeseen thing will pop up.

You were pretty lucky Friday. But you also got the job done and that’s not all luck. Good job brother. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I would love to post pic. But a person has to be smarter than his dumb phone to do that. I well try again but have not learned how to resize.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Lefty » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Im with Joe on this

Anyone who can archery kill a bull can figure out how to resize pics ;) Or find to 15 year old who can
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations. I am glad it all worked out. I too am looking forward to seeing a picture. I understand your lack of ability to send pictures with your phone. I have the same problem. I think I managed once, but have no idea how it worked.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Congrats on the elk!!! I completely understand the not being able to post pictures thing
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Eric, follow these tips and you’ll be able to post your pics.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7886
Congrats on your elk mister!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trophyhill » 10 21, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Im with Joe on this

Anyone who can archery kill a bull can figure out how to resize pics ;) Or find to 15 year old who can

I beg your pardon sir. I can barely take pictures with my flip phone let alone resize them ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Dandy bull mister! You'll get that picture posting thing down (just remember, it has to be resized and be no larger than 800X600 pixels).

Eric's PIC.jpg
Eric's PIC.jpg (306.66 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby jmez » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Way to stick with it. Good rule for elk, if it looks like there is no way they could go there, they went there!

Where did you hit him?
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Thank you Rory for posting pic. I have post pic in the past when I had a computer.
I
jmez wrote:Way to stick with it. Good rule for elk, if it looks like there is no way they could go there, they went there!

Where did you hit him?

Not at all where I thought I seen the arrow go.... In front of the heart buy 4-5 inches
Fridaythe13th

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Nice bull Friday. Congratulations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics