Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Archery Success

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Archery Success

Postby N2mywake » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

the rig.jpg
the rig.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
We succeed or Fail as a team! These hunts I've been sharing with my Dad since 2005. Like the odds show our success is here and there but the success we've shared has been pretty good. The last three years my buddy Patrick has been added to the team and has been a great fit (like a brother).

2017 we had a few opportunities that fell apart. 2018 was hot and rough. Fast forward to 2019 found us back in a favorite valley I've not been in since 2015. Hopes were high leading into the trip.

The day we started the journey from Kentucky to Colorado Patrick took a direct blow to his lower leg with a 4lb sledge hammer. He opted to ignore the pain and move forward. We started the journey from Kentucky to Colorado.... No looking back.

Dad had back surgery back in the spring and was only cleared for training 6 weeks ago. He will turn 70 in November. He scored on a public land giant (to us) in 2013. A proud archery moment for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Attachments
The team.jpg
The team.jpg (405.98 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Re: Colorado Archery Success

Postby N2mywake » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Fast forward to arriving to our drop camp, although the view of the familiar valley was welcomed, there wasn't great news The muzzle loader hunters in there before us were to pack out. The news wasn't good. They had killed 2 bulls (raghorns) and a cow and wounded another good bull. My heart sank. To make it worse, they let me know some guys had hiked in a few days before into the key hunting area and setup camp. This was a terrible scenario for us. This was my "Plan A" area to hunt.

After sending them on their way we continued the afternoon to filter water and prep for a short evening hunt.

West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby N2mywake » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

We decided to focus our time on avoiding the area (that had been our prime) and focus on new areas. Dad spent the first few days adjusting and recovering from the horseback ride in.
Patrick and I pushed hard into areas I had been before but going further each day. We had at least an archery encounter (40 yards or less) each day but one on the whole trip. We had covered some crazy miles for a couple of Flatlanders each day.

I have to say my training has paid off this year. More than in years past. I felt like I could go about anywhere. All those training hours paying off.

We had several close calls at full draw. Including a 45 minute archery encounter with a nice 6 point at 35 yards and as close as 13 yards for 20 minutes of that but without an opportunity.

West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Hunting pressure is always an unknown. We may know what it has been like in the past, but it is never a guarantee of the future. As you did this season just regroup and try something different. Great account. I hope it works out next time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby N2mywake » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

We opted on day 7 to try heading over the north slope to the South side to engage the herds as they headed from feed to bed.

We got on herds first thing but though they we vocal and inside of 100 yards the bull and his herd moved away and over to the North slope. We pursued for a few hours and did get between him and his cows. Patrick passed an opportunity at a cow at 30 yards at that point. He was thinking the bull would charge in but it didn't. I felt defeated but we continued to interact with him for the next few hours without a sighting.

We ended up radioing dad after the action slowed and hiked out to the main trail to meet him for lunch. He had tried to hunt easier considering his surgery recovery, and that I think he wanted us to push deeper.

While having lunch and going back through the action of the morning we laughed and aggravated those who skipped opportunities at a cow at 30 yards.... [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

After lunch Patrick and Dad napped as I moved across the main trail and took my boots off to change socks and let my feet breathe. I kept thinking I was hearing the tail end of a bugle (at 2:00pm). Finally the wind settled and I heard it! A clear bugle in the late afternoon. I wisper-yelled to dad, it's a bull! While pointing behind me! I laced my boots back up while Dad got Patrick up.

Once they got over I tested the waters by bugling back.. he cut me off.... At 2 in the afternoon....IT...IS...ON... With zero hesitation we make our way toward the bugles. Patrick gets out ahead of Dad and I like a champ... We've been through this exercise before where he was afraid to advance for fear of spooking the herd... NOT THIS TIME!

Patrick proceeded to get about 60-70 yards ahead of Dad and I. Every few times the bull would bugle I would cut him off. He was in a frenzy. We had a lake to our side so we could advance without the bull getting under us and getting our wind.

Patrick had ran to a point and stopped for 5 seconds to wait for the next bugle to know if he can advance. He hears a bugle BUT it's close!!! He sees the bull 30 yards ahead! How he didn't get busted I don't know.

When I heard the bugle I assumed it was the bull advancing..... But it was a second bull! I cut him off. When I did Patrick saw him lower his head and turn to take the same game trail he was advancing on! Patrick was able to draw and take the 4 yard!! shot on a great Public land bull!!

Seconds after that moment I see a bull and proceed to tell Dad and draw... He gets wobbly and falls! We assume Patrick shot him! And then start to worry the other bugle was another hunter! We had no clue what had happened!

(From Patrick's point of view) The bull ran 30 yards and fell!

The bull kept trying to raise his head. He then stood and I opted to range and shoot! We have an agreement to "shoot until they're down". Problem is I ranged a limb and not the bull! Needless to say I shot under him... He fell and I approached and stuck him again to be safe! No tracking!

Patrick approached not knowing but worried I would scare off what he had just shot!I waved him over and we all celebrated in disbelief.

The next several hours was work. Needless to say this was a taxidermy bill so it added time to our processing. We couldn't be more proud. The pack job back to camp was rough!

Attachments
patrick and i (2).jpg
patrick and i (2).jpg (365.41 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
patrick.jpg
patrick.jpg (248.8 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby N2mywake » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Hunting pressure is always an unknown. We may know what it has been like in the past, but it is never a guarantee of the future. As you did this season just regroup and try something different. Great account. I hope it works out next time.

we succeeded. pics to come as soon as i can get a pic sharing site to cooperate!
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Well congratulations. I thought I was seeing your last post when you left with; "without an opportunity" that is was over. We look forward to the pictures.
Swede

Postby N2mywake » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Pic of the team[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191012/ad03348157743df9d62886ef82b5d393.jpg[/img]

West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby N2mywake » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Random pics from the day.

N2-5.png
N2-5.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3833 times

N2-1.png
N2-1.png (907.99 KiB) Viewed 3833 times

N2-2.png
N2-2.png (918.4 KiB) Viewed 3833 times

N2-3.png
N2-3.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3833 times

N2-4.png
N2-4.png (704.94 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Fixed your pics N2 (remember, WapitiTalk.com does not like tapatalk uploads). Good to go now, and, absolutely beautiful bull!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby N2mywake » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 11]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Fixed your pics N2 (remember, WapitiTalk.com does not like tapatalk uploads). Good to go now, and, absolutely beautiful bull! Great job.

Ha! thanks I was editing and uploading at the same time too.
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby saddlesore » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Great read,Congrats on a great bull.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Nice. Great pictures too.
Swede