Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Last Moon Phase Thread

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Last Moon Phase Thread

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Every year there are numerous threads out on the internet forums asking how much does the moon phase change elk movements. I have just copied a new piece from Bow Hunter magazine that speaks to the subject as it relates to Whitetail deer. The same is true for elk. There is no difference in elk movement due to moon phase.

SUMMARY TAKEN FROM BOW HUNTER MAGAZINE ARTICLE:
"C.J.’s Summary: Hunters are always looking for a shortcut to maximize their success and time in a stand. GPS data from current biological sources is clear. There is no relationship between moon phase and deer movement. The bottom line is: Moon phase is irrelevant in the day to day nutritional or survival requirements of a deer. Yet, there are hunters who will adamantly argue over the data. If you are one of them, so be it. As a hunter, I’d suggest you keep doing what has been working for you. But, keep in mind, all deer are individuals. What makes one deer get up and move versus another, is likely a completely different environmental scenario. And, just because a specific moon phase worked on a giant buck years ago (and you still remember), doesn’t mean it will work on another buck."

I know the Bow Hunter article will not stop the debate, but it should.
I have kept track of all my bow kills, including day and time, for many years. I there is no discernable difference with elk kills and moon phase. They are no different than Whitetails when it comes to movement by moon phase.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Last Moon Phase Thread

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I'm not going to argue about it. But I will say this! Hunting season is only so long. It doesn't matter what the moon phase is, you only have certain dates that you can hunt. So just do it!! :roll:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: The Last Moon Phase Thread

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 3]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm not going to argue about it. But I will say this! Hunting season is only so long. It doesn't matter what the moon phase is, you only have certain dates that you can hunt. So just do it!! :roll:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im the same way,.. never put much stock in the moon for fishing either.
If I had time and wanted to fish , or hunt,.. I go
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H