Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Creepy & Weird

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Creepy & Weird

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Creepy and weird was how I felt as I sat motionless in my tree stand. Glancing upwards I started observing, the buzzards were circling and slowly descending Over Me. I had not noticed I had been motionless for quite awhile. I was sporadically snoozing, in the warm afternoon sun, but watching the waterhole in front of the stand. I decided to just stay still for a little longer, but before they got too close I stood up. There was a large pine snag in front and off to my left that was full of buzzards and I knew that they thought I was dinner. It was creepy.
Usually the weird things I see are like the massive, slimy white fungus I walked by this past season. I am guessing it was a fungus as nothing else makes sense. I did not handle it Anyway it looked weird. Then there are the times a predator comes around and the forest goes very quiet for awhile.
So with that introduction, do any of you have elk hunting stories about experiences that you think qualify as creepy or weird?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Creepy & Weird

Postby Elkduds » 10 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Animals sense things humans can't. Watch your back, Swede ;)

Happy early Halloween!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Buzzards like old rotted meat ,... Swede

Im sure over the years Ive had a lot of creepy and weird

Walked up on a red fox I had caught. The fox was fully engaged in watching some native fellow I guessing performing some sort of religious ceremony . I felt weird and creepy ,.. waited ti the fellow was done and gone. How we never saw each other in its self is spooky.

Pulled into the first farm in the morning checking traps. A dead fox lay steaming with a slug through it chest, After remaking the set I realized I likely scared off a poacher, or trespasser.

digging a pocket set for mink , a flannel shirt , then pants,.. then bones,.. I was quite freaked out, I called the sheriff dept in another state :oops:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:Buzzards like old rotted meat ,... Swede

They were just overly eager. I was pleased to disappoint the ugly birds. I got a shower soon after so there was very little odor on me for the evening hunt.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Creepy and weird was hearing a female lion screaming 100 feet below camp at 1030 at night :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 21, 2019 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Creepy and weird was hearing a female lion screaming 100 feet below camp at 1030 at night

Are you sure it wasn't just your buddy taking a cold shower? I have taken a cold bath in a stream a few times and a scream might have come out, but I was too frozen to make a sound.
Swede