Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho Elk

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Part 2 of my "Back from Idaho" thread in Other big game. The elk portion.

At this point, the pressure was off of me, somewhat. My deer tag was filled and I had a solid week to hunt elk. Despite some great intel from a very generous Huntwa forum member that I met a couple years ago, the opener was a bust for us. My Dad an Uncle were ostracized by a local that didn't like "foreigners", and then ran up the trail to beat them to the elk. Unfortunately he was successful. Me and my partner were in elk all morning, but all the bulls were apparently on the other side of the ridge. Over the next couple of days we watched elk in a very hard to access spot feed off of, and back onto the same face consistently. We opted to go after them one evening. We sat in position until dark, no elk. Left scratching our heads, we walked out. My dad and Uncle and seen the elk from afar come out onto the same ridge, but a couple hundred yards uphill and out of sight of us. The next morning we moved to a glassing location where we could see the whole canyon, and sure enough, there they were. We decided to make another play on them that evening, but changed the game plan.

We got up the ridge line overlooking their canyon mid day, and then gained some elevation so that we could see the whole thing instead of just where we expected them to come out. After an hour or so, we heard cow calls from up the canyon a bit further, so we took off up the trail through the timber to the next vantage point. As we eased up to the edge, my buddy instantly spotted a group of elk bedded on the rock point straight across from us. In the group was a spike. Like deer, I've never been picky, and this spike was prime for harvesting. They were bedded 346 yards away, an easy 100 yards further than any shot I'd ever taken on a game animal. I'd been practicing though and was confident in the shot. I got situated in an elk bed and got my rifle setup on a bipod, with the rear stock on my pack. His angle was bad in the bed so I opted to wait for him to stand. We didn't have to wait long. The cow he was with stood up, stretched, and walked off over the ridge. He was a couple minutes behind her, but as he stood, he turned straight away giving us a great view of his butt. He then proceeded to wander around on the ridgeline behind trees, brush, other elk, anything he could to stay out of sight. Finally, he stepped into the opening and gave e a clear shot. The 7 Mag spoke and it was obvious he was hit hard as he staggered back and forth on the ridge before disappearing down the backside. We could hear brush and branches breaking that sounded like an elk tumbling down a hill. As we waited a minute, the rest of the elk herded up and began moving out the top of the canyon. I actually felt some guild at this point. Before I shot, they had been talking up a storm and were all scattered throughout the head oft he canyon feeding. They were clearly at ease here. Their silence now as they filed out, left me a little sad for disturbing them that way. It was short lived though, and we began making our way to my elk.

This canyon was very steep, brushy, and rocky. It took us nearly half an hour to get down our side and back up to where he was. We foudnm blood right away and quickly saw my elk down the backside of the ridge. He had come to rest on top of a blowdown, a few feet off the ground. I knew we couldn't process him there, but was reluctant to get him moving downhill without knowing where he would stop. We took a couple of minutes and piled a bunch of sticks, logs, and rocks between two trees about 100' downhill from him, creating a roadblock. I hoped when we got him moving he would go straight to it and stop in the flat spot we had created. I couldn't believe my eyes when that's EXACTLY what happened. He came to a stop in the perfect position to start quartering. A quick thanks was said, and we got to work.

We finished cutting some time after dark, and ferried the meat down hill to the main canyon and hung it all up in a new meat tree. My experience with the deer a few days before had given me the confidence to leave meat on the mountain rather than kill myself packing all night. We each took a hindquarter and some scrap, and hit the trail. It was a late night getting to camp, but it sure felt good to sit down and have a celebratory shot of whiskey with my hunting partners. The shower beer was damn good too! :lol: Unbeknownst to me, my buddy was leaving the next day, so my Dad, uncle and I headed back in in the morning to get the rest of the meat. Once again, the overnight cold and thermals had left the meat in A+ condition.

The next couple of days offered some opportunities for my Dad and Uncle, but nothing was killed. We had a good game plan for 2nd to last day of hunting, as I'd found a small herd with a couple of small bulls in an easy to access spot. Unfortunately that morning, after they'd climbed nearly 1000' to get in position, they found a couple of guys that had beat them there. They were disheartened but not beaten, it was public land after all. We regrouped in camp and I took my uncle on a short drive to some glassing spots while Dad made coffee. As we were getting ready to leave one spot, 2 shots rang out in the next canyon over, and elk began pouring through the saddle into ours. There were a couple of spikes in the group so I raced my uncle up the road to a good draw to try and cut them off in, and then headed back to camp for my Dad.

As we neared the spot, we couldn't get my uncle on the radio for an update. No update meant no shooting yet. We could see elk on multiple ridges in front of us though. I left my dad to climb one ridge, while I took off up the other to try and locate my uncle. I was directly across the canyon from my Dad when I noticed elk traversing the hillside towards him. A quick check in the binos confirmed that he was already onto them. I got the great pleasure of getting to watch that spike clear the terrain, and then the bullet impact him before I even heard the report. He staggered for a couple seconds before tumbling into the timber on the backside of the ridge. Dad hustled up and then a very boisterous "BULL DOWN!" came over the radio. This is only my Dad's 2nd elk, and it nearly brought a tear to my eye knowing how excited he must be. The best part, we were only 500 yards from the truck! My uncle quickly surfaced and the 3 of us processed and packed him out in what was definitely the easiest pac kout I've ever been a part of. My uncle headed back in for the evening, and located many elk, but no more bulls.

IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG (307.75 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG (209.5 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

Tuesday Dad and I cut lots of meat, getting everything ready for an early Wednesday morning departure. Unfortunately we had a nasty windstorm come in and wreak havoc with our camp. At one point the tarp over the wall tent broke 2 lead ropes and pulled multiple spikes. Before I could get everything handled, the corner kicked up and bent our stove pipe completely in half. I ended up having to cut the tarp free with a knife to keep it from totally pulling the whole tent down. It took off up into the trees on the far side of camp. Everything but the tarp was easily repaired but it sure put a damper on the day, an well into the night listening to that wind rip through. We did however eat deer tenderloin that was seasoned and vac sealed for 7 days, cooked in cast iron on a wood stove. Doesn't get much better than that. :D

20191021_164505.jpg
20191021_164505.jpg (269.31 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

The drive home was long, and uneventful, which is nice. I was so excited to hold my little boy when I got home. You don't realize how much you miss in 10 days, but in that time frame he went from spewing gibberish to almost talking in sentences! It seems he grew a full year in a week. He was excited to see the deer head all the sheds we found. he'll have the bug bad in a few years I think!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Idaho Elk

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Meal
Attachments
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG (149.43 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG (152.12 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for another great story and congratulations on both elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 4]

The meatpole pic is the true trophy shot. Congratulations.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby wawhitey » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 5]

You got your bear deer and elk, now you have the rest of the year to go whack a lion
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:You got your bear deer and elk, now you have the rest of the year to go whack a lion

I've got my eyes set on an area just waiting for some snow to get out and do some tracking.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Elkduds wrote:The meatpole pic is the true trophy shot. Congratulations.

Yes it is. One of my favorite photos actually
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Congrats on a GREAT hunt bud. That 1st meal looks epic ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Congrats on a GREAT hunt bud. That 1st meal looks epic ;)

Oh it was. My uncle isn't a fan of deer meat. In fact he hasn't eaten a deer steak in 15 years. Said it was hands down the beat deer meat hes eaten.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Great writeup,... Thanks

looks like part of that first pic got deleted,.. :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:Great writeup,... Thanks

looks like part of that first pic got deleted,.. :lol:

Yeah not sure what happened there? :lol: :roll:
7mmfan

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 27, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Family and hunting what could be better. That story make me want to get the rifle out again. Great job.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S