Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Two for 2 in Wyoming

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Two for 2 in Wyoming

Postby Indian Summer » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Well I’ve finally got everything put away and survived through a week back at work... barely.

So I figured I’d sit down and post my hunt report. It was a very good year for Tom and I. Day one there was a big 5 point bugling away as the sun came up. I held off for a bit to glass an extremely good open ridge where elk regularly feed before making a move. We did spot two other herds both with bulls. We got to within 500 yards of the first bull staying on the horse trail but then an outfitter came up behind us on the trail. He blew the whole herd down the ridge bringing that stalk to an end. After that we split up. I saw 32 elk that day but never got on the 6 point I originally saw.
Attachments
A10EF608-2D1A-4B24-95DB-D0A800E71D80.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Two for 2 in Wyoming

Postby Indian Summer » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

To back up a bit we drove the 32 hours with only one break of about an hour and a half. When we arrived at our destination we stayed at a friend’s house for the night then went to set camp. I immediately realized that the angle kit for the tent frame was not in the truck. That meant setting it up old school which takes much longer. We also had to drive south to pick up horses that say then get a hitch rail up and stack some hay. As a result we barely had time to cut enough wood to make it through the night. Plan A was to get wood for the entire hunt into camp that day.

Did I mention that was the second time I got to the Cowboy State without my angle kit? My other partner John even reminded me as ajoke. Yes... a few F bombs were dropped.
Attachments
F2D5FBC2-2944-4623-BB1B-C8BEE79247A3.png
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

So there was one more day before hunting started and I needed to show Tom some country. We cut and hauled wood for the first half of the day. Then we saddled up and headed up the mountain. I decided to pack the gear in for the high camp. From up there we’d have a really good overview of the lower hunting area. So off we went. We had one minor horse wreck but otherwise everything went fairly smooth and we got the tent set up top. But by the time we got back to camp it was late and we were pretty much exhausted. Two days of driving and two days of non stop work had caught up to us.

So back to day two. The alarm went off and not a creature was stirring. We couldn’t move! I decided that it would be wise to skip the morning hunt and sleep in. Tom cooked a real breakfast when we got ip and eventually we pulled it together, saddled horses and hit the hills.

I decided to pack the last load of gear, mostly food and my sleeping bag to spike camp. When I got up there I stocked the tent with wood. Thank God I hiked up in August and got it all cut and stacked. Then I hiked my way over to a great glassing spot. My plan was just to observe unless I saw a good opportunity. So I set up and before too long elk began popping out of the strips of timber between the avalanche chutes. 32 of them total including a 5x6 and a 6 point bull as well as half a dozen spikes. They were way up high just running around in the snow feeding and playing games. The 6 point was keeping the smaller bull away from a particular cow that they were both interested in. I watched until almost dark then hiked back to camp and ride down to base camp. I left my gun and day pack because I’d be hiking all the way up from the bottom in the morning.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Following. Keep it coming mister ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Deanmac » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

love the read, please continue
Deanmac

Postby Indian Summer » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Day 3 we got an early start. I wanted to show Tom a place I call the glassing tree. It’s a great spot in that not only can you see lots of open country where elk feed but it’s also a good place to pull the trigger. To your back is a cliff/rockslide that the elk have to skirt below. It’s open too so when they do you’re getting a shot opportunity for sure. I’ve seen lots of bulls, moose, and several mountain lions from there. We got there before light and set up to glass. But it wasn’t long at all before we heard a cow call behind us to the right. Game on! We adjusted our position and pretty soon two cows appeared. Then a few more. Picking up the rear was a big 5 point bull. At 500 yards he was a bit far to think about shooting so we watched hoping they’d come down a well used game trail right into Tom’s lap. No go. They continued along the edge of the timber on a route very familiar to me. They were about to cross the pack trail we just rode in on.

So Tom gathered a few things and started on his way to try to catch up to them. I had my Barneys Freighter pack on and told him it was time for me to start heading up high but if I heard a shot obviously I’d turn around and come find him. Ultimately they outwalked him but it was a fun encounter. Lesson learned: If you want to ambush moving elk sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind. As long as the wind is in your favor you have to bust a move using whatever cover you have and hope for the best. If you think about it if they can see you then you can see them which means you might be in a position to shoot.

Two very close calls in the two mornings we were on the hill. If things kept going this way I was confident that my partner would be killing his first bull before long. I got to high camp and dropped my pack. Organized some things and took a little break after a long hike up from base camp. Then I slung my pack over my shoulders, grabbed my cannon and headed over to the chutes.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

qute enjoy the updates. I may get out for a spike hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tom Grates » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Cool to read, seeing the hunt from your perspective. I will post my journal after you are done. I may have to clean up the language. Lol
Tom Grates

Postby Indian Summer » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Tom Grates wrote:Cool to read, seeing the hunt from your perspective. I will post my journal after you are done. I may have to clean up the language. Lol

Don’t tell anyone I fell in the mud after we went to town to celebrate your bull ok?
Indian Summer

Postby Tom Grates » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:
Tom Grates wrote:Cool to read, seeing the hunt from your perspective. I will post my journal after you are done. I may have to clean up the language. Lol

Don’t tell anyone I fell in the mud after we went to town to celebrate your bull ok?

Nope, that is between us!
Tom Grates

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 11]

BORING! This is boring, I'm bored now. Can we hurry up the story telling a little bit? :mrgreen:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Sorry. It’s been a tough week. Funerals and my dog passed away. Oh and a deer plowed into my truck. I’ll get back to this thread shortly.
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Dangit, that really sucks. Sorry Joe.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I just hope there was little or no damage to your truck, and you are having venison for dinner.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby juglow » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Sorry for your lost Joe.
Sounds like you had a much better experience in WY than I did this year.
Goes to show how much areas can change.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Well I feel like an idiot now. I'm sorry for your loss Joe.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby robloft » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Sorry for your troubles Joe. Glad to see that at least you got an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft