Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who Is Thinking About the 2020 Elk Season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who Is Thinking About the 2020 Elk Season?

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I know it is a long way off, but I am thinking about warm weather, blue skies and bugling bulls already. Even in my tree stand I come to full alert when I hear a bull bugle. I especially like those that call before they walk toward the water hole I am silently waiting at.
My plan for next season is to hunt some in an area I have only scouted a little and hunted many, many years ago. Most of my season I hope to go back to where I was in 2019. I am getting to know it better and feel more confident every time I go out.
What about some of you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Who Is Thinking About the 2020 Elk Season?

Postby jmez » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I start thinking about it the minute I'm done with the current season.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Ha, yes. Working on dates, states, and species already.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

For sure... I have several questions for you over the next several months Swede that I will ask you on the tree stand forum... I started preparations for next season half way through this season. Finally finally finally found some good wallows in this unit after 6 years ...unbelievable I know
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Elk hunting is a never ending cycle for me. 365 days a year. I’m thinking about the next season as I’m hunting this one. I have things pretty well figured out but I’ve been at it long enough to know that there’s always room for improvement. I try to get better so I can kill abull earlier in the hunt. That way I can get my meat to the processor and get to helping my partner. If he tags out we can go prosect new areas. No better time to prepare for next year than when you’re still in elk country.

My ultimate goal is for me and my partner to kill 6 point bulls on day 1 and go catch cutthroats the rest of the week. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Already sent out an email to our group getting the planning phase started. I also already have set new google earth tracks an onx marks for areas I want to hunt next year, and started upgrading backpacking gear so that I can feasibly do a solo spike camp into some of those areas. I've been going to bed the last few nights thinking about laying in my shelter with a little Ti stove fire crackling next to me, hoping to hear a bull bugle.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I am always thinking about elk hunting. I just sent off an application to get a permit to be able to use a crossbow in regular archery season. My shoulder replacement won't let me draw a conventional bow. I will need to find one with a crank cocking mechanism.Supposedly they only take about 12 #'s to work.Depends on the $$$'s though

After this past 2nd rifle season I am done with hunting in cold, deep, wet snow. I figure I can get a Muzzle Loader "B" tag and hunt cows in mid September and then do a 2 week OTC archery hunt in late September
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Vince: Check in with Elkduds. I think he lives somewhere fairly close to you. He gave me a lot of information last year when I had to switch to a crossbow. Also check out www.crossbownation.com. Lots of knowledgeable people on that site. If I can help you out in any way, just holler!

I had a bunch of Cabela's points built up so I bought a Centerpoint Sniper for $65 bucks. It is plenty good enough for me. It is hard for me to pull back, so I had to buy a crank for it. Let me know if I can be of help.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I agree with Saddlesore. Besides my new Mule will not go in deep snow. I have no tire chains for it.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 05, 2019 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Vince: Check in with Elkduds. I think he lives somewhere fairly close to you. He gave me a lot of information last year when I had to switch to a crossbow. Also check out http://www.crossbownation.com. Lots of knowledgeable people on that site. If I can help you out in any way, just holler!

I had a bunch of Cabela's points built up so I bought a Centerpoint Sniper for $65 bucks. It is plenty good enough for me. It is hard for me to pull back, so I had to buy a crank for it. Let me know if I can be of help.

Will do.Yea,he lives nearby.Not sure where though
saddlesore

Postby Tom Grates » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 11]

It is on! I am pumped, been hunting whitetails since I got home, put a brute public land buck down last Friday! Now onto bear season.
Tom Grates

Postby Lefty » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I have a lot going on, but Im always thinking about up coming hunts.
Im thinking about a different place to camp,.. 1000 feet lower and a mile away .
I might need to sneak off and hunt alone if I want an elk :o
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I plan elk hunts in my sleep. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 11 06, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:I plan elk hunts in my sleep. ;)

Man I wish I could do that. Would save me a lot of time! And sleep!
7mmfan

Postby juglow » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

of course...
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby MtnOak » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Sorry I haven’t been on here in a while gang but man I been thinking about the 2020 season when I started the drive back home from Colorado back in September, my hunt turned into a disaster simply because of a old friend I took with me, I thought he’d be fine around camp after he figured out he physically couldn’t do it but the guy got under my skin so bad I said the heck with it and we came home 5 days early.

A hard lesson learned and just started seeing a good bull too, I’m already counting down the days for 2020 and GOT to do a better job picking partners, gonna be tough because most of my good friends that hunt don’t have the vacation time like I have.
MtnOak

Postby lilshootergirl » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 17]

2019 I didn't get to hunt at all! So I got my family, cousin, nephew,brother to do a out of state family hunt!
I hope I get my 1st bull elk & a nice buck! And lots of great family time. Let the planning begin!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Trophyhill » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Can't wait for 2020. Rutting mule deer hunt in January is always fun. Hoping to draw the Gila again, and CO with 6 pp's. I have a few OTC units waiting in the wings if I don't draw and will hit one if those up if necessary.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Trophyhill wrote:Rutting mule deer hunt in January is always fun.

Interesting. I have never heard of mule deer rutting in January. That sure makes for a late fawning period.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Swede wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:Rutting mule deer hunt in January is always fun.

Interesting. I have never heard of mule deer rutting in January. That sure makes for a late fawning period.

I think that's normal timing in southern AZ. I know it is in Ol' Mexico.
7mmfan