Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Youth hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Youth hunt?

Postby Pasteve » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

My son is 9 and I'd like to plan a western hunt for him when he's 12. I'm open to any state season or animal I'm just looking for the best possible hunt for him. What would be your recommendations? Thanks in advane!
Pasteve

Re: Youth hunt?

Postby southernelk » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Wyoming. Start buying points now for elk, deer, and antelope.
southernelk

Postby saddlesore » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Being that young , I would set up a September hunt of some sort. Muzzle loader or archery.The later hunts get to be tougher,cold and snow wise. Poor way to start a youngster out.

If elk, I would also start him out with a cow tag. At least in Colorado he would have 5 times as many chances at cows with the present ratio of 20 bulls to 100cows. Let him taste success first,worry about bulls later
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

There are some special youth hunts in Idaho

I don’t know much about the big game youth hunts

But my nephews would come to Idaho to hunt deer with grandpa
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Colorado has youth hunts that if the youngster has a bull or either sex license and does not fill it, they can take the license to a CPW office and they will convert it to a cow tag that is valid for any open season until the end of all seasons.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Other guys that hunt more states may have other opinions, but I think one of the best hunts available for kids is a Wyoming Antelope hunt. Lots of animals and lots of opportunity. Don't have to get up and hike for hours before dawn. Ride around in the truck and glass and eat snacks until your sick. My kind of kid hunt.

I also started hunting when I was 12, in Wyoming. We deer hunted though and it was a great time. Maybe both tags would work, to open up more opportunity for him? I think the main goal would be to keep the long grueling hikes and weather exposure down somewhat, and make it fun. My Dad did a good job of that over 20 years ago and it sure planted the seed.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Definitely speed goats. Not the full effect of big mountain hunts but he well love it.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby 7mmfan » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Not to be pushy, but I'm actually in the midst of planning my first Antelope hunt, specifically for this reason. My son is only 2-1/2, but I want to take him hunting with me sometime in the next 3-5 years. The places I hunt now are no place for a 5 year old so I'm looking at Wyoming Antelope to keep things light and fun. I really want him to just get outside and see lots of animals. Everything I see, read and hear says that is that hunt to a T.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Pasteve » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Thank you all! It looks like Wyoming pronghorn it is!
Pasteve