Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

different point of view calling bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

different point of view calling bulls

Postby Roosiebull » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Joel Turner is a talent, he's good at what he does, and elk hunting is no different. he has become a big name through his content for conquering target panic... he has a much different perspective on most things compared to most people, but his perspective works. he leads a SWAT team for work, and is a weapons trainer.... that's where his target panic system came from.... he is also an elk hunter, and a good one, and this concept makes good sense to me... at least for a good chunk of elk season

https://youtu.be/T0GLwTya44c
Roosiebull

Re: different point of view calling bulls

Postby Swede » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I have listened to Joel. He is good, but I think he is a little egotistical. There is more than one way to hunt elk. He has no franchise on how it is done.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Roosiebull wrote:,, he's good at what he does,,,,,

Being a good student
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Great podcast Roosiebull! I don't think Joel came across as egotistical at all. in fact seemed very humble and genuine. I didn't hear him say there's only 1 way to skin an elk. I love the fact that he shared a tactic that has and does work for him. My buddy Gregg in CO Springs spoke very highly of him, Dieter and a couple others who he used to rub elbows with when on the calling circuit back in the day. I got in on a bull in CO this year using the same tactic and blew the opportunity. As I pursued the bull with cows up the mountain, he would not respond to cow calls or bugles with chuckles. But responded everytime to an aggressive short scream. I finally got close enough where he had to deal with me after 1 last scream. I blew it at 30 yards. The bull I killed in NM was called in with loud cow calls. As Paul would say, "not all encounters are created equal". It's up to us to "read the situation"
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 12 01, 2019 •  [Post 5]

The time I talked to Joel in person he was discussing his iron mind approach to shooting animals. It was not in the above video that I got the idea he was somewhat egotistical, but his explanation of why my mind set and focus when shooting critters is wrong. He may think he has a franchise on being steady and managing buck fever, but with over 50 big game kills, my method must work at least for one person. I would not pay Joel a nickel to learn his method. BTW, my method is simple and free. Once you decide an animal is a shooter, concentrate on shooting a small spot on it. Focus heavily on doing what you need to do, and much less on the animal until the shot is made. Then you watch closely where it is going and how it is dealing with the arrow or bullet.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics