Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Out Of State Hunters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Out Of State Hunters

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The bane of many resident hunters, especially locals are the out of State hunters that move into the surrounding forests during elk season. The year I hunted Idaho there were complaints on other forums about all of the out of State license plates there. In Oregon folks complain about California hunters and what they call "valley" or "Portland" hunters. They are as bad or even worse, according to the locals, than California hunters because there are far more of them, and they get resident licenses and tags.
Personally I have found out of State hunters to be more law abiding and sportsmen like than the average local. On average they are better hunters. I remember only one pair that I thought were acting out of line and that was back in the mid 1990s. I have never run into an out of State total slob. The worst hunters I have found are the local weekenders.
Is that your experience?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Out Of State Hunters

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 10, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Here in Illinois, come mid November, every block of timber has a couple out of state trucks sitting around it.
This year, a guy from PA leased some ground west of me, smack in the middle of an area that I hunt. Problem is that he posted it and was off by a couple hundred feet. Him and his buddy killed 3 bucks and 4 does. I was hunting a big 12, dark heavy horns. That was one of the bucks and I’m pretty sure that he shot it on the wrong property.
Another area, property is leased by an outfitter. His guys shoot deer every year that get away from them.
I understand the distain for out of state hunters. That’s why I’m on my best behavior and try to lend a hand to any locals I come across. Not only does it make me feel good, but I’ve gotten some good information in the past.
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 12 10, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I don't make a judgement call on either in state or out of state hunters until they screw up. My experience is it is about even between the two. I have met some NR's that seem to think since they paid $600+ for the tag ,they get a pass on a lot of questionable tactics/ethics, but have met quite a few resident slob/rude hunters. Those types know no state boundary lines,they exist everywhere.

In the last ten years, I have taken two NR' s under my wing so to speak.Showed them where to hunt,took them into my camp.One I finally got him a bull after three years and he decided it was too much work and quit.The other,after three years , I have not heard from him since last hunting season.

On this forum and others I have helped several NR's finding hunting locations.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 12 10, 2019 •  [Post 4]

As WA resident, we rarely get NR hunters in our area. As a WA resident though, I am frequently one of the NR hunters in other states. I've got passing snide remarks here and there,but it took until this year, our 4th year in the area to actually run into a hostile local. He blocked a road, and when we went to walk around his rig 2 hours before daylight, he was in his cab and jumped out and started yelling at us and calling us "foreigners" and how we were ruining his ground. He then proceeded to throw on all his gear and pass us on the trail to make sure he got to his spot first. Never heard a guy huff and puff so loud. He was going fast though, I'll give that to him. He killed an elk that day, so theres that to I guess.

In general though, I've had very positive experiences with most locals I've run into. Some have given me good intel, most are good for a decent conversation. We hunt off the road a ways so when we do run into others, they are usually like minded individuals that appreciate hard work. I think that goes a long ways as well. I do sympathize with local guys that grew up in an area and have seen it turn into a out of state hub, but we've all experienced that in way or another, I think they call it progress.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I experienced much like Swede

Generally it is the very local guy complaining , it’s more about other competition hunting “their “area
I find it is the local guys that break the laws or play dumb, stretch the law.

On a small waterfowl forum a new to the area fellow asked about areas to hunt
I posted the states web site and stated everything in blue on the Highway map was a good start
That fellow went ballistic. He was the guy that was crazed by anyone hunting near him even if that meant the same lake or even the same county
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:In general though, I've had very positive experiences with most locals I've run into. Some have given me good intel, most are good for a decent conversation. We hunt off the road a ways so when we do run into others, they are usually like minded individuals that appreciate hard work. I think that goes a long ways as well. I do sympathize with local guys that grew up in an area and have seen it turn into a out of state hub, but we've all experienced that in way or another, I think they call it progress.

Couldn't have said it better myself 7MM. And wow, your horror story from this year (hostile hunter encounter) is almost as bad as mine.... except mine occurred in WA. I'm still somewhat in shock over it :o.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 12 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Lets hear your story RJ! Come on, I have pulled up a log and poured me a cup of hot chocolate. Spill the beans!
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 12 11, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I have had two encounters with nonresidents that escalated quickly.
First one,I was sitting under a big pine that I had done on opening day for probably 15 years straight.Two hunters walked past at day break and sat down about 200 yards from me. Clearly in my line of fire should an elk come buy. I recognized them from the day before when they picked up their rental horses near where I was camped at the trail head.The next day, I guess they figured on getting there before me because when I tied up and walked to where I normally sit, they were in the same place as the day before. After about two hours and no elk ,4-5 deer came past and since it w as an easy pack and I had two doe tags, I shot two of them.

Both slid over the lip and down a hill about 50 yards so I went back and got the mules, rode over to the deer, gutted them, cut each in half, and loaded both on the mules.Going back down,the trail went right past where they had their horse tied. As I approached they started to give me a ration of crap how I sat where my scent would drift down to where they were sitting. They just kept repeating as I would not respond. Finally I explained how they did the same thing the day before and I had hunted that spot for 15+ years and they didn't just discover a honey hole. I rode on and left them sputtering.

The other time, we were late getting to our hunting destination and rode into our area when it was still dark on Tuesday morning. I thought it strange, but a group I had trouble with before had set up a camp along the trail and had set an electric corral up that straddled the trail . I saw the fence and we were trying to work around it when my buddy's mule swung sideways and hit the fence.Big rodeo ensued with my buddy getting bucked off and knocked unconscious.Later determined he had a concussion. I,at the time, did not know he had been bucked off and took of after the mule. only finding it with no rider, but had rode thru the other party's loose horses..

I got my buddy awake and had him walk up he trail aways . We continued the hunt and I shot a rag horn bull that morning. We were packing it back out and had to ride thru that camp again.Two guys came out and were hopping mad that we didn't stay around to catch their horses. Made no difference that it was their fault for setting that electric fence across the trail and we were the ones that got hurt. It went back and forth and one guy had grabbed my mule's halter and another was fixing to pull me out of the saddle . I wasn't about to let them beat on me and I told the guy to let my mule go and I started to pull my .357 out. I had it about half out when luckily another camp member came out and stopped the two guys. They were most likely madder that I had killed that bull when they had hunted around or 4 days and saw zip. They finally calmed down and we shook hands then got the heck out of there.They were gone the next day because I reported them to the forest service and game warden.

The year before I had turned the same party in for leaving their camp fire burning. They never came back.
saddlesore

Postby 2MANY » 12 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

All our families came from out of state originally.
2MANY

Postby 7mmfan » 12 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

2MANY wrote:All our families came from out of state originally.

That's kind of how I view it. We all own that land so to speak, so I have just as much a right to hunt there as the next guy, resident of that state or not.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Joe Schmo » 12 13, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I love talking and visiting with fellow hunters for whatever period of time...when it goes well (99% of the time) the last thing I say is "I'm from California" as I walk away :lol:
Joe Schmo

Postby Elkduds » 12 13, 2019 •  [Post 12]

The last time I hunted elk w anyone it was WT member Deanmac and his buddy Ean. I met DM on this forum, we had a common CO destination in mind. We corresponded, they came halfway across the country, made a fine camp and asked me to join them. It was a fun and memorable hunt, got close to some elk and really close to some bears. It was a much more friendly camp and hunt than some I've had w CO neighbors. Conclusion: The individual(s) matter way more than the license plate on the truck.

Have you seen the bumper sticker that says, "For a small town, this place sure has lots of a$$h0les?" They are available everywhere.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby wawhitey » 12 14, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Ill be one of the jerk out of state guys hunting deer in idaho next fall. But i intend to earn it. Starting jan 1st ill be spending my free time hunting wolves and lions over there, and going to do my best to take 2 bears out of the idaho woods this spring too.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Deanmac » 12 15, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Elkduds wrote:The last time I hunted elk w anyone it was WT member Deanmac and his buddy Ean. I met DM on this forum, we had a common CO destination in mind. We corresponded, they came halfway across the country, made a fine camp and asked me to join them. It was a fun and memorable hunt, got close to some elk and really close to some bears. It was a much more friendly camp and hunt than some I've had w CO neighbors. Conclusion: The individual(s) matter way more than the license plate on the truck.

Have you seen the bumper sticker that says, "For a small town, this place sure has lots of a$$h0les?" They are available everywhere.

Thanks for the kind words, the feeling was mutual. I felt like a met a true friend and we have stayed in touch.
Hope to share a camp with you again one day.
Deanmac