Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Great Wyoming Opportunity

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Great Wyoming Opportunity

Postby Indian Summer » 01 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I have a heck of an opportunity if anyone is interested and in a position to take advantage of it. First come first served.

A past client texted today. He has bought hunt plans in both Wyoming and Montana. Him and his partner have been killing bulls with them since the first year they bought one. They have had a hard time walking away from their Montana area so they’ve accumulated 5 points each in Wyoming. He asked if I knew anyone in need of some points. Good to know people!

So if anyone is interested in one of my DIY hunt plans in Wyoming but doesn’t have the points they need to guarantee the license I can help with that. I can add either a solo hunter or two partners with 1 point each to the party app.

A solo guy with no points will save $156 and three years of waiting AND be able to draw the $700 license instead of the 1400 bucker in the special drawing.

I have a couple killer plans on deck. So instead of spending days scratching your head doing research wondering where to go you could be looking over your new home away from home online right now until your maps and plan arrives.

Remember the Wyo general license is good for all of the September bow season as well as rifle season. Archery is either sex elk and two areas I have allow either sex during rifle. Another has leftover cow tags every year so you can hunt as often as you like and keep learning your area. These units have some of the biggest mulie bucks in Wyoming too so once you have the points for that tag you’ll know the area and you can do that hunt while picking up an elk point that year.

Opportunities like this don’t knock on the door often so if you’re looking for a place to hunt elk this year and need a license let me know. Take your pick.... backpack hunt, base camp hunt... or base camp with a spike camp option.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Great Wyoming Opportunity

Postby saddlesore » 01 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

You can give points away or trade them in Wyoming?
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

When you apply as a party the total points are average for the number of applicants. So if two guys had 4 points each and one had 1 point and they all applied together it would be a 3 point application.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 01 04, 2020 •  [Post 4]

One other thing worth mentioning... if you no points but have a partner I can set you up with a plan in a unit shere there are leftover cow tags. So you could hunt with this general license and the $289 cow tag.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 01 26, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I had two hunters take advantage of this offer so no longer available.

If anyone is interested in a Montana hunt plan contact me. I have hunted there for 35 years and was a Montana outfitter for 12.
At one point I punched 13 tags in a row there. I have some great areas available. March 15th is the license application deadline.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Oh too be young again and do that. Hope some of these younger fellows take advantage of the oportunities
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 01 27, 2020 •  [Post 7]

You know Saddlesore... selling hunt plans is interesting. Guys email or call asking questions. You would think that the ones with zero experience would be more interested in my services. In reality lots of them decide that they can find an area worth hunting, figure it out, and learn how to hunt elk on their own. While that is true the time and money it takes to accomplish all of that is hugely underestimated.

Every year I hear from guys that contacted me the year before. I hate to admit it but I love hearing about their reality checks. How they got their butts kicked and saw two elk for 2 seconds all week.... or none at all. It’s pretty hard not to say I told you so. The fact that they are calling me back tells me 3 things. The first is that they now realize this ain’t deer hunting back east. The second is that they realize that getting off to a good start might be worth a few bucks. But also that the guy on the other end of the phone just might have what it takes because after getting his butt kicked and driving home with 2 or 4 un punched elk tags and sore muscles he still wants to go back. Not everyone does. And so they buy a plan.

But the best calls are from the hunters who say.... we already have 3 years under our belt. We have the gear. We are comfortable in the mountains. We need more elk... or please God ANY elk, and less people. Those kind of guys are really easy to please. They still need some actual experience in the area I send them but when they see elk after having such tough hunting in the past it really motivates them. It makes it easier to get out of the sleeping bags in the morning and easier to hike the hills. As a matter of fact it seems to me that they are so motivated that more than once they have done better in my areas than I have! I love that. But it leaves me saying the same thing as you.... ah to be young again. If I knew back then what I know now I’d have had a lot more fun. I started off the same as my clients. I worked hard for my first few elk. Way too hard! We didn’t have the internet. No such thing as a GPS. I have it all figured out now. Funny how that works though... just about the time I got it down to a science my knees are shot and I’m not the lean mean hunting machine I once was. Oh well.... for now I’m still able to get to where I need to be. And knowing that my seasons are numbered helps me to appreciate it more.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 01 28, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote: Funny how that works though... just about the time I got it down to a science my knees are shot and I’m not the lean mean hunting machine I once was. Oh well.... for now I’m still able to get to where I need to be. And knowing that my seasons are numbered helps me to appreciate it more.

Back when I was forty or so I figured I had about 30 more elk hunts left in me by the time I hit my mid 70's. By the time I hit 65, those elk hunts were going by pretty fast. Since in Colorado, you can buy "A" and "B" tags that lets me hunt two seasons, I started to do that. I am getting as many hunts as I can in before old age benches me.. Last year, the cold and snow got to me,so it is coming on fast. This coming year, most of my hunting will be in September with a muzzle loader and a crossbow in archery season. I can't draw a conventional bow back because of a replaced right shoulder, and I need to quit abusing it with hard recoil. Hence the crossbow.Yep darn knees are giving out. I start PT this coming Friday for one.

If I last all of September on those two hunts, I might try a third hunt. Colorado offers "C" tags for elk in areas they want to get rid of elk east of I-25.

You can buy as many tags as you want (no limit). They are either sex, and no antler point restrictions .Season runs from Sept1 thru Jan31.

I wish I could convince all these younger guys to get out and hunt elk as often as they can. Don't figure every 3-4 years. because those 3-4 years slip by pretty darn fast and all you are left with is " I wish I would have done more". That makes for poor memories
saddlesore

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 28, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Vince, awesome post my friend!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wawhitey » 01 28, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Hot damn, paul is alive. Maybe its just the times im on, but seems like i havent heard a peep from you in quite some time.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 01 30, 2020 •  [Post 11]

There is a Paul sighting! I agree, great post Vince. The next time I set foot in the elk woods I will be staring right at the big 5-0 (my birthday is mid sept). I get it. I cherish each and every one. I cherish the ones with my kids even more.

But first things first. First we need to draw in WY. The odds of that are basically zero because the WY licensing gods hate us.
Tigger

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Ha Ha guys, yes I'm alive & kicking, seems like we just get so darned busy these days. Good luck with this years adventures!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul