Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pre season goals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pre season goals

Postby Lefty » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Well I have a few plans and goals for this upcoming pre season
One Goal is to shoot up, break or loose all of my green Ted Nugent Gold Tip arrows and be using all new arrows

Another is to place trail cams and find a back up plan B tree stand location :cry: I may go Swede part time

visit with the Government Trapper And get his take on the grizzlies in the area

Part of the trail cam would be to get my wife to enjoy the hikes in and out of the trail cams

Since were retired I would like to spend a lot more time away from home , more time sleeping in elk country and out and about
One year my wife spent 40 nights in elk country with me. I spent 80 nights , some was general camping and scoutingmuch of it keeping tabs on a huge bull that the wolves got And some was for BSA camps

But I do want to find another big bull to keep tabs on and maybe hunt him .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Pre season goals

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Lefty wrote:I may go Swede part time

My advise is to aim higher.

I plan at least one week ling scouting trip, but may go for two. Cameras will be placed around water holes and some new ones checked out. I want to see where the cattle are for sure and look for a new camping location. Where I was last season was good, but I want to consider new spots that may fit some now areas I will be looking over.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Last year’s spike camp worked out so well that I want to put another one in. We might go out in August to pack some gear and pick a spot. I already have it pegged on the map but want to be sure. That means another tent, wood stove etc etc. At that point we will own that mountain!

We’re trying to kill 4 bulls this year so we’re going to have to do everything possible to pull it off. Two of the guys only have 6 days to hunt and they’ve never been there before. :shock:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Pre-season goals. Try not to get fat.

I actually just bought some new 110 gr Barnes bullets for my 7mm-08. Going to try and develop a smoking fast deer load with those. Maybe try it out on an alpine bear come August. Going to develop a new load for my 7 mag as the bullets I've used for a decade are no longer available. Going to make some small gear adjustments and do my best to keep the training up so I can make the most of my time in the woods. Main goal though is to spend as much time as I can with my little family and watch my little boy grow up into a medium boy.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Bones72 » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

My goals?
Prepare for deer season, maybe three tags this year. Already out of venison. But either 2021 or 22 son and I are headed to the mountains on a guided elk hunt! I scrimped and saved my whole life, and now it's time!
Bones72

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the forum Bones72. Pull up a chair to the campfire and join in the conversations. Tell us a little about yourself. Are you 72 years old? Wondering as that is my age.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bones72 » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Nah. I'm 58. 72 is an old jersey number. From Kansas. Raised hunting. Mostly pheasant and coyote. Deer starting in 1980. Now mostly deer and coyotes since pheasant went the way of buffalo. I've been on one Elk hunt, and that was a huge thrill! I really like the mountains, I go trout fishing there every year and camping too. Just completely changed careers though, and and planning a guided hunt because of "vacation " time.
Bones72