Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Putting In For Tags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Putting In For Tags

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

When do you decide what units and hunts you will put in for tags on? I rarely put in for anything out of State, but pretty well know where from year to year. For deer tags I may change my mind from year to year as my points may get used up and I am back to zero. With point creep, I am starting to rethink my elk strategy. At 72 now, I don't know if I will ever reach the premium units here.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Putting In For Tags

Postby wawhitey » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Pretty easy for me here in WA. nothing worth putting in for other than spring bear really. The best of our "quality tags" are maybe in the quality ballpark of an out of state otc tag, and nearly impossible to draw. Better off buying a couple raffle tickets, as the raffle tags are lightyears ahead of quality permits, and a guy can have a chance at getting one, at least as good of a chance as drawing a premier quality permit. Better chance even for a guy thats not sitting on 20+ points. Only thing i put in for now other than spring bear is bull moose, and i know im never going to draw, and our moose numbers are rapidly declining. The way the moose are tanking here, i probably wont put in for that much longer.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I'm with whitey here in WA. I apply for the quality permits every year, probably because I drew one a couple years ago and it's given me false hope that it's repeatable. Otherwise I only plan on buying out of state OTC tags. I in now way shape or form plan any of my hunts early in the year around permit drawings because they are such low percentage odds here in WA.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 4]

No real decision

But maybe should start building points in Wyoming

I’ll put in for antelope for me and my daughters and trophy bull elk for my wife
Antelope was sorta decided years ago and same with my wife’s hunt will be where we archery hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

In Wyoming I hunt multiple areas but since the general license is good in 50 units for bow and rifle I don’t have to think about which tag to apply for. I don’t save points either because I’d be happy to shoot at least a 5 point bull instead of skipping a year. My goal is to die with zero elk points! :lol:

I do have deer points in two states. It’s easy to save them because I’m an elk hunter to the bone so I just keep chasing bulls while the deer points accumulate. When I do cash in deer points it will only be for a BIG buck. In Colorado it takes a lot of points so the ones I have aren’t burning a hole in my pocket.

Wyoming is a different story. It takes 7 to hunt where I want to hunt and next year I’ll have 8. Also next year I have a bear hunt scheduled for early May in Saskatchewan. Also I’ll have zero elk points. So I’ll be skipping elk hunting in 2021. Wow! :cry: If I find the caliber of mulie buck I’m looking for it will have as many inches of bone as a 5 point bull so that should ease the pain. I’ll pick up 1 elk point.

I can’t believe Im saying this but I’ll be picking up a 2nd elk point in 2022. Me and Tom have a fly in moose caribou hunt lined up for September in Alaska. I can see us buying leftover cow tags though because the idea of not hunting elk for 2 years is unthinkable. I have an area that I want to check out for future bull hunting anyway.

Oh yeah... I guess I’ll buy a Pa deer tag too. Lol
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Simple here. Same unit for cow elk Muzzle Loader draw, "B", tag that I have hunted for years.Then OTC elk tag, cow or either sex, or leftover rifle or archery ( "A" or "B" tag. New to me unit in eastern Colorado has OTC elk , Sept 1 thru Jan 31, "C" tag. I can buy as many as I want. Either sex, no antler point restriction.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics