Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2020 Big Game Plans

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2020 Big Game Plans

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 14, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Yes, I know the permits, draws, raffles, etc. haven’t occurred yet but in the broad scheme of things... what are your big critter plans for 2020 (states, weapon, species)?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 2020 Big Game Plans

Postby wawhitey » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I have a deer tag, 2 bear tags, 2 wolf tags and a lion tag for idaho. Waiting for some more snow meltoff to get over hunting wolves and lions asap.

For washington deer, elk, 2 bear and a lion tag. Hoping to get all 4 bear tags filled for sure, and im going to focus november on trying to kill this old buck ive been watching since 2015 but havent made a move on yet. Hope the lions and wolves dont get to him before i do.

Were on our late cycle for mf elk this year, so i should get to hunt elk for the first time in several years unless weather or something goes very wrong on my last trip to the arctic this season. Will be rifle hunting elk in the wa selkirk unit. And i have pretty good odds of drawing an antlerless elk permit, and its an any bull unit. So if i draw, it will be any elk. Will take my savage 16lwh .308
Attachments
PICT0620-800x600.JPG
PICT0620-800x600.JPG (109.88 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
PICT0875-800x600.JPG
PICT0875-800x600.JPG (117.3 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Whitey.... can you put me on a whitey like that? Damn nice buck!

Same deal as last year for me. Wyoming elk in my home away from home. I have two newbies coming so I hope to punch my tag leaving enough time to help them.

After that I’ll get skunked on a buck back in Pennsylvania.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 4]

The Lord willing I will be archery hunting deer and elk here in Oregon. It is in the plan to scout some in July or early August again. There are a lot of places to look over.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wl704 » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Elk, deer, bear.

Already hitting the gym and range.
wl704

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Wolves and lion unit quotas were filled before the end of water fowl season
So my start date will be for bear
This year I have a source of easy bait : I hope to place bait opening day
As soon as the bear, any good looking legal bear hits the bait I’m killing it

unless
A Minnesota buddy invited me snow goose hunting so maybe I won’t be early spring bear

This year we placed a bait, the bears were hitting it but no pics we when I to hunt a couple Days and someone hung cameras tree stands
We had our baits 50 feet away and hidden . But we might have hid them too well
I’m still debating about archery antelope or chancing a rifle antelope draw
September is archery deer and elk
After the intense harassment from my wife I may just shoot the first easy deer or elk; does, cows and yearlings won’t get a pass
While not big game do I chase into Montana for ducks and geese? knowing I’ll put in for Montana the next year
Or maybe run to the Dakotas to lay steel to chase fox coyotes or muskrats
The last week of bear I may place bait again where I had bait in the past and see if the guys using my bait are gone
If I didn’t take archery deer or elk I’ll rifle hunt deer and muzzle load elk

Withmy wife just said she wants meat so rifle elk or antelope draw for her
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Magic » 02 16, 2020 •  [Post 7]

We skipped Colorado Elk last year to build PP's but the plan is for Marty (son) to draw a 2nd season Bull tag this year and I will serve as "guide". This will be our 34th anniversary hunting in Colorado/Wyoming. Yup, we have spent many days together hunting Elk, Deer, & Antelope. That plus many nights in a camper, tent, or spike camp.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby 2Rivers » 02 16, 2020 •  [Post 8]

My plans are still up in the air. For sure Wyoming points for elk, deer, and antelope for me and the boy. Possibly a Mn bear tag. Colorado elk, unsure if it will be archery or muzzle loader.
2Rivers

Postby Pop-r » 02 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Still dreaming to kill 3 bulls in 3 states in the same year. I've gotta get it done before I get too old! Lady luck be with me I pray.
Pop-r

Postby 7mmfan » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

2 Bears in WA, hopefully time to hunt Blacktail close to home at the end of October. Our Idaho hunt is up in the air being as we missed out on elk tags this year. May go back to deer hunt, haven't decided yet. Everything will be with a 7mm rifle of one form or another. :D
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Sitting here thinking about it, i decided i need a full price idaho lion tag too. Ill be spring bear hunting in unit 1 where my discounted 2nd lion tag isnt valid, and i think im going to try to do some wolf hunting there next month, and if i called in a lion id be kicking myself in the ass for being a cheapskate. So i just ordered it.
wawhitey

Postby lamrith » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Put in for AZ with family again. Deadline was last week. See what happens, though not holding my breath with the point creep down there.

Waiting for those draws before I make any more solid plans for local. Very limited vaca means only one elk hunt a year.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby 7mmfan » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:Sitting here thinking about it, i decided i need a full price idaho lion tag too. Ill be spring bear hunting in unit 1 where my discounted 2nd lion tag isnt valid, and i think im going to try to do some wolf hunting there next month, and if i called in a lion id be kicking myself in the ass for being a cheapskate. So i just ordered it.

You're a slut whitey. :lol:
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 14]

7mmfan wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Sitting here thinking about it, i decided i need a full price idaho lion tag too. Ill be spring bear hunting in unit 1 where my discounted 2nd lion tag isnt valid, and i think im going to try to do some wolf hunting there next month, and if i called in a lion id be kicking myself in the ass for being a cheapskate. So i just ordered it.

You're a slut whitey. :lol:

I just want to pile up as many big predators as i can. Need to do a lot of it to get good at it, cause the way the deer population is going around here i doubt ill even be buying deer tags in washington in a couple years. So giving myself as much opportunity to call bears cats and dogs as possible. Cool thing is, idaho has bear seasons from april 15 - july 31st, and wa opens august 1st, so non stop bear hunting otc. And year round wolves in the panhandle, cougar running through june 30th... lots of opportunity. Gotta get good at predator hunting the way the ungulates are vanishing in my neck of the woods, predator hunting will be about all we have left worth a damn soon.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I don't disagree. If it was closer to me, I'd be all over it too. It's ok to be a slut in this situation, even encouraged.
7mmfan

Postby elkstalker » 02 21, 2020 •  [Post 16]

For me its general elk and deer in MT, packing my two kids along. The both got their first deer last year, my daughter is dead set on getting an elk this year. Hopefully we can make it happen.
elkstalker

Postby Magic » 02 28, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Magic wrote:We skipped Colorado Elk last year to build PP's but the plan is for Marty (son) to draw a 2nd season Bull tag this year and I will serve as "guide". This will be our 34th anniversary hunting in Colorado/Wyoming. Yup, we have spent many days together hunting Elk, Deer, & Antelope. That plus many nights in a camper, tent, or spike camp.

Our 2020 Elk hunting plans just got sidetracked big time. Marty got a "pink" slip and March 20th is his last day on the job. 51 years old and 28 years with AT&T. Ironic that they pink slipped me exactly 25 years ago at age 51. Anyway, there is no way for us to know where he will be working, for whom, and whether he would be able to schedule the time off in October. This means that we will have to send in for PP's and see what another year will bring. We are not really interested in an OTC license, but we will make that decision then. :?
Magic

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 29, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Bummer Lynn. I wish Marty the best. Hopefully he will get some sort of severance or retirement package.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 29, 2020 •  [Post 19]

As WW wrote, "Bummer". AT&T is not the only one to can people getting too close to having a pension. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 02 29, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Sorry to hear that Marty. Maybe someone up above thinks you will need more time for you shoulder to heal

Myself,probably my brain thinks my body has more ability than it does ,but for now I plan be hunting Sept 1-Sept 6th, archery for elk and deer with my new crossbow. Then Muzzle Loader elk hunting, Sept 9 thru Sept 20. Then back to archery elk and deer Sept 22 thru Sept 30.

Then another elk hunt with a rifle in SE Colorado some time after that.
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 02 29, 2020 •  [Post 21]

My plans are already getting messed with this year. Was planning on heading to idaho thursday for some wolf and lion action but oh no, have to keep working. Getting back to seattle wednesday morning but now ill have to turn right around and head back to alaska thursday. Not even enough time to run home. Having a job sucks. I think the only thing worse would be not having a job. Oh well, the cats and dogs are safe for a few more weeks.
wawhitey

Postby Magic » 03 02, 2020 •  [Post 22]

I understand the "work" thing. I am 76 (closer to 77) years old and still kicking. I had Total Knee Replacement surgery in November and shoulder Rotator Cuff surgery in February. The stitches come out today and I am going to ask the Dr. whether I can work "one armed". My "job" is a portable sawmill, LINK which pays for travel and fun.
Magic

Postby Marble » 04 11, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I plan on Idaho September 12ish to the 26th.
Colorado 2nd season. Bull/buck combo

CA...its so crappy here I dont even care much. It just interferes with the hunts I want to do. I'll try to get my girls o a deer and that's about it.

I am close to getting a bull tag here that i want. Just not yet...
Marble

Postby Marble » 04 11, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Magic wrote:
Magic wrote:We skipped Colorado Elk last year to build PP's but the plan is for Marty (son) to draw a 2nd season Bull tag this year and I will serve as "guide". This will be our 34th anniversary hunting in Colorado/Wyoming. Yup, we have spent many days together hunting Elk, Deer, & Antelope. That plus many nights in a camper, tent, or spike camp.

Our 2020 Elk hunting plans just got sidetracked big time. Marty got a "pink" slip and March 20th is his last day on the job. 51 years old and 28 years with AT&T. Ironic that they pink slipped me exactly 25 years ago at age 51. Anyway, there is no way for us to know where he will be working, for whom, and whether he would be able to schedule the time off in October. This means that we will have to send in for PP's and see what another year will bring. We are not really interested in an OTC license, but we will make that decision then. :?

Man, I hope it works out. There isnt always a next year. So sometimes you have to do it when it isnt perfect.

I hope it works out for you. No one in my family would want to be near me if elk season didnt happen.
Marble