Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

They are there, somewhere: arent they?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

They are there, somewhere: arent they?

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Is it luck, I dont think so.
Is it great area,.. harvest statistics say its ok elk country to hunt.
Am I a great elk caller,.. heck no
I was one of those guys who one year never saw an elk under 50 yards while archery hunting.(6 days)
This past season we were into elk every single day (13). Under 150 yard bugle responses or spotted elk.
Other than I" resigned" to this is the way I want to hunt (calling) I dont think Im doing anything different, except maybe moving into and back out of areas and set ups

Elk are there, like Is said "somewhere" . Im struggling to what was different in our techniques , ability and luck!

What worked out when you weren't getting into the elk? Kind of Swedes last two days of desperation,... if its not happening, whats your change up
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: They are there, somewhere: arent they?

Postby saddlesore » 02 24, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Some guys think just because elk are bugling they will come in.Might change dates to hunt if that is the problem. If they have gone nocturnal, you need to get into where they are living
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Sure they are there, somewhere. I think of myself as a journeyman elk hunter. I know more than the rookie or even the three hunt apprentice, but am nothing special either. If I don't get one it is not because I don't know elk and how to hunt them. Luck is a factor and luck is fickle. I don't panic mostly because I have been down that trail so many times before. The elk are there. I just need to be patient and persevere.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 02 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

A person has to make their own luck . Many times after awhile someone starts to kill more elk and they think they are getting lucky,but in reality,they have learned more about the game thru experience.Then there are guys that stumble around the e lk woods for 20 years or so, maybe killing one every 5 years and don't have a clue and never will
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2020 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:Then there are guys that stumble around the e lk woods for 20 years or so, maybe killing one every 5 years and don't have a clue and never will

That is unfortunately very true. For some people every hunt is a true learning experience and they soon start putting things together so that they are pretty good hunters. Others just have a nice time out in the forest.
Years ago I went out to inspect a logging project. It was a setting where large timber had been felled. After looking down from the landing area I suggested to my counterpart from another District who came out to just tag along with me for a day, that we go to such and such a place in the cutting area. I did not think much about the matter at the time. When we got to that location and I looked around, I said I need to talk with the "Bull Buck" (head cutter) about what was going on and whey they were have a problem. The immediate question I got was, "how do you always know where to go to find these problems." I saw it 800 feet away from the landing. I just went down to investigate the matter. The point is that some people see things and go from there and some just never get it.
Some people can read and understand things written in Paul's Playbook and put it to good use. The unfortunate truth is that many never figure out hunting. They will pack the Playbook around as a cookbook but will never be able to assimilate the points he writes about.
Swede

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2020 •  [Post 6]

After thinking about what I posted immediately above, I started to rethink the situation. Because someone may have read my post and will not reread it I have decided to do a Lefty and make two posts on the same matter.
The truth is we all have areas where we can see clearly and understand the situation. We all have blind spots too. None of us have it all.
E.g.. I was always lousy at algebra. I passed, but that was about all. One term I picked up my grade card and the professor said that I had earned a "C" grade. I was delighted, as I was not sure I would get by that well. But the prof did not stop there. He said that he was so impressed that I had attended every class, turned in every assignment and had given it a full effort, he was going to give me a "B".
I worked hard at algebra because I was so poor at it. I still am for what it is worth. I knew anything less would mean I would need to retake the coarse.
That is not my only blind spot, but I believe it is a fair illustration of how we are gifted in some areas and not so much in others. If you are not figuring out elk hunting, go with someone that can give you some personal coaching. Your situation may not be as hopeless as my algebra efforts are.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

When looking for elk sign, remember, it only tells you where they were, not where they are :roll:
>>>---WW---->