Your Move 2020, Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move 2020, Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Tag: Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Archery, solo hunt
Time/Date/Location: Mid-September; WA or OR; early-mid morning
Camp/gear: Base camp.

Hunting journal: Solo elk hunt in W Washington or Oregon; day 5 of your 7 day hunt; 3 PT or better bull only tag. The bulls in your area have started to get pretty vocal over the past few days so you decide to set up and try an advertising sequence. After doing a quick distance range in several directions, but before you rake a tree, stomp some dry sticks, or throw out any verbal elk sounds, you hear a bugle coming from your right……next, you hear cows talking. Arrow knocked, you determine they're are in fact coming from right to left from the cow chatter, and now you have a visual…..up over the small rise comes a cow, another cow, BULL, and another cow in tow. They are walking, not running, and obviously are heading somewhere (probably from feed to bed). At any rate, from the ranging you did minutes before, they are passing in front of you a bit over 30 yards. Thermals are as shown; your position is as shown.

Your move. Are you shooting, not shooting here? Trying to stop the bull with an elk sound? What is your move to try and bring this fine Roosey home for dinner?

Roosey22 Markup.jpg
Roosey22 Markup.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

Reminder that if you save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your Move 2020, Episode #1

Postby saddlesore » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I would wait until he passes those three trees that are close together and get set for a shot when he passes where the first cow is in the picture.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I would give off a bark after coming to full draw.

Roosey22%20Markup.jpg
Roosey22%20Markup.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

If he stops Im releasing an arrow

saddlesore wrote:I would wait until he passes those three trees that are close together and get set for a shot when he passes where the first cow is in the picture.

I believe Saddle sore is spot on, this one. If that bull is moving downhill he would likely take a step or two and there may not be a shot .
Appears as if the lead cow is stopped so walking away slowly.
I got my daughter in on a similar situation a week before season. The elk going downhill continue with a few more steps the elk going up all stopped,

good call Saddlesore
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Good call Swede. Great minds think alike! :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I would give off a bark after coming to full draw.

Roosey22%20Markup.jpg

I dont bark too well when I have a call in my mouth. Some sort of girly sound comes out while im choking on the call
If that bull doesn't stop in its tracks( it is going down hill) They have all pin pointed me. even at the release in that open timber would the elk recognize me and bolt while the arrow is on its way?
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 7]

30 yards! When opportunity knocks I open the door. I like elk meat better than stories and I see no reason not to stop that bull in his tracks and let him have it.

I’m drawing my bow first. Then a light mew because he’ll hear it but won’t be overly alarmed. After that I’ll have my burger in 1 pound packs, steaks an inch and a half thick, backstraps in 10 inch sections all vac sealed of course.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I think you are a couple of seconds late here. You should have barked 2-3 seconds ago to get him to stop in the opening? What on earth were you doing????

Either solution has its risks. If I am not at full draw and ready to shoot, I wait for the next opening.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:30 yards! When opportunity knocks I open the door. I like elk meat better than stories and I see no reason not to stop that bull in his tracks and let him have it.

I’m drawing my bow first. Then a light mew because he’ll hear it but won’t be overly alarmed. After that I’ll have my burger in 1 pound packs, steaks an inch and a half thick, backstraps in 10 inch sections all vac sealed of course.

Good luck using a mew to stop him. Not saying it can't be done. But, I've seen numerous bulls pay no attention especially when he already has cows like in the picture. On the other hand, I have stopped bulls dead in their tracks 100% of the time with a single nervous bark.

If you never learn another sound, I would rank the nervous bark right up there as one of the most important sounds to know.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:I think you are a couple of seconds late here. You should have barked 2-3 seconds ago to get him to stop in the opening? What on earth were you doing????

Either solution has its risks. If I am not at full draw and ready to shoot, I wait for the next opening.

Exactly! I’d have been drawn by now. That bull knows where his cows are. I think any sound from somewhere other than them would stop him.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Makes a big difference whether you are at full draw when the bull walks into the clearing in the photo,or not.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: They are walking, not running, and obviously are heading somewhere

You always deal with the situation you have, and not whit a coulda, woulda, shoulda. If they don't stop with your bark in the open, you have lost nothing. I am satisfied a bark now is the best option available. If I could get three seconds back for a do-over, a lot of things would have turned out better, but in this situation I am satisfied with the way things are now.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics