Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho visitors will see big hike in hunting, fishing fees

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho visitors will see big hike in hunting, fishing fees

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2020 •  [Post 1]

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Legislation significantly increasing what it will cost nonresidents to hunt deer and elk in Idaho has been signed into law by Gov. Brad Little.
The Republican governor signed the measure Tuesday that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game said resident hunters asked for so there will be less overcrowding in the field.
Fish and Game is doing that by capping how many nonresidents can hunt deer and elk. But that will result in reducing Fish and Game revenue with fewer nonresident hunters. Estimates put the loss at $5.4 million and $9 million a year.
To make up for that, Fish and Game is increasing hunting and fishing costs for nonresidents.
Most notably, the costs for elk and deer hunting are going up dramatically, which are the two most profitable areas for Idaho Fish and Game. An elk tag for a nonresident hunter would cost $650. A fishing license would cost about $106. The increases will go into effect on Dec. 1.
Fish and Game officials say the increases are the first in 10 years for nonresidents and put the state more in line with what neighboring states charge nonresidents for hunting and fishing.
About 39,000 nonresidents bought elk and deer tags in 2019.

:x I think this is in part because the legislature keeps using the Fish and Game as a source of funding for education, and farming

Nonresident License Fee Comparison by State
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Non+resident+cost+big+game+hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Idaho visitors will see big hike in hunting, fishing fee

Postby wawhitey » 03 08, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I bought my idaho deer tag right off the bat in december to make sure to get one before they sold out this year. I guess ill just continue to do that. As for the price increase, well they offer a better product than washington. Ill just be spending less here at home. Honestly the way things are going here, i dont see myself buying anything but bear, lion and fishing licenses here in washington in another year or two. Pretty pathetic when a state cant even maintain a reasonably healthy whitetail herd of all things. Lots better opportunity all around right next door. The only thing we have thats better than idahos is our august 1st bear opener. So fall bears in wa, spring bears in idaho. Unfortunately, with my never knowing if ill be able to get free time during elk season, i just cant justify shelling out that amount of cash for an idaho elk tag. Odds are way too high that ill be out at sea the whole season.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey