Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Is Tree Stand Hunting Elk Passive?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Is Tree Stand Hunting Elk Passive?

Postby Swede » 03 16, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Is tree stand hunting for elk really a passive way to spend time or is it any more passive than hunting Whitetails? Is it really passive at all, or is it a dynamic solution to going home empty handed where elk are call shy? I will admit there are hours of waiting, but so is spot and stalk. So is calling if done right. So is still hunting.
We would not thing of an eagle soaring above the earth hardly moving its wings while searching the earth 1/4 mile below as being passive or even when it is waiting in the top of a snag looking out over the landscape. It is just hunting. I would say waiting in a tree stand is putting patience into practice. The hunter is ready to surge into action with the first sight or sound of incoming elk.
Is Swede just stirring up a debate or what?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Is Tree Stand Hunting Elk Passive?

Postby Tigger » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Swede is bored! Heck yes it is passive. I have spent way too many hours in a tree stand and passive describes it beautifully.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:Swede is bored! Heck yes it is passive. ,,,,,,.

Ive use the analogy regarding fishing, ice fishing and muskie fishing and even trapping.
"Work that jig"
"make every cast as if it is your only cast"
"set every trap there very best. "

When I set in my blind in the desert it was only for short periods of time,.. Generally the first and last hour . I was on high alert, Glassing, searching!

I do not hunt that way from a blind for bears, I napped, read, messed with the phone.

It can be both or eaither
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 4]

So is a hawk waiting and watching from a tree top being passive? It flew there and set up. Is an eagle soaring overhead with the air current giving lift to his wings, and watching the ground below being passive? It is searching and covering a lot of area with its eyes without making much motion on its own. Is a trout feeding at the bottom of a riffle being passive? Is Swede haranguing you from his computer being passive? I say that using your head to set up and position yourself to have the best chance possible whether calling or spot and stalk or tree stand hunting is being assertive. Wandering around hoping and blowing on some tube is really being more passive. You see the definition of Passive is "not actually taking part, and usually letting other do the" shooting. :D
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Spot and stalk is like a football team taking 30 seconds for a huddle before all hell breaks loose. Stand hunting is watching the game from the bleachers putting popcorn in your mouth wondering what’s gonna happen.

Or is Joe just making sure Swede’s blood pressure is up where it should be? :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 6]

You characters just don't get it do you? Passive is just going along with the crowd and doing what they do in spite of the area and elk you are hunting. It goes on in spite of the consequences. It has nothing to do with physical exertion. Being aggressive is all about preparing for that fateful moment and making it happen. It is all about taking clear decisive action at the right time, being fully confident your time will come.
One thing I like about having passive hunters around, they can always help pack out. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Not sure the word you are searching for, but Passive isn't it IMO! :D

I think a tree stand hunter is a spectator (great analogy Joe!!) for 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% of the time the TSH (see, I gave you your own acronym!), is a participator taking action. For calling, it is probably 80% action and 20% spectating. For spot and stalk, maybe 40% action and 60% spectating. These last two will vary greatly day to day and year to year and hunter to hunter.

Is the hawk passive? Yes. Eagle? No. The Igle is moving to optimize his chances. Making decisions continuously that change his fortunes. The trout? yes. Swede? No. He is participating by throwing out a hook to see if someone will bite. Joe and I are on his stringer. :o
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Tigger, it is no wonder you are so far off. You do not know the meaning of passive. I checked the dictionary before I posted. Passive is just going along and doing as others. Passive is letting others set the standards. You can be passive and work yourself into a lather. You can be constantly on the move and be passive. Assertive is knowing where you are wanting to go and making decisive decisions to cause it happen, regardless to what other think or do. Enter tree stand hunting. Critters.
Swede

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Just remember a chess player can be very aggressive.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Ah Swede, I had to get a hold of my old friend Merriam-Webster and this is what he said passive means:

Definition of passive (Entry 1 of 2)
1a(1) : acted upon by an external agency
(2) : receptive to outside impressions or influences
b(1) : asserting that the grammatical subject of a verb is subjected to or affected by the action represented by that verb
//the passive voice
(2) : containing or yielding a passive verb form
c(1) : lacking in energy or will : lethargic
(2) : tending not to take an active or dominant part

d : induced by an outside agency
//passive exercise of a paralyzed leg
2a : not active or operating : inert

Take a look at the bolded parts.

TSHs are lethargic, inert blobs in trees that lack in energy and will! :shock: :lol: :o :D

Someone put up a poll on how much Swede's blood pressure is gonna rise! I am now ducking!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 11]

OK, Ok! I give. But I can be as passive (lazy) as I want, and still get elk, I can hunt part of the day on the ground if I want, and then spend the rest of the day in my stand. Being passive. :evil: It is still a fun way to hunt and can be very productive. Don't let Tigger or that trouble maker Indian Joe kid you about one thing. Tree stand hunting can get exciting if you are in the right place. My son and I have a new place that we have barely scouted that we want to try this next season. I expect it to be a lot of hard work packing out elk, but still fun. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Ha! When I envision a TSH, it is not a raptor, but rather a laying hen that I visualize! :shock: :lol:

Wait, I hunt out of tree stands...... :oops:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Just be careful as I may start a new thread to share the extremely high intelligence of tree stand hunters. You won't want to be on the outside looking in on the subject.
Swede