Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Going To Town

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Going To Town

Postby Swede » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 1]

While out on a hunting trip, how often and why to you normally return to town?

I leave home about five days before the season opens, get everything set up, and do some scouting. On the day before season opens, I usually go in, restock my food, and bring out some fresh ice. It all normally lasts about a week. If possible, after that I get my nonhunting brother to go in and replenish things while I hunt. I hate going in if I have not filled my tag, but need to after a couple of weeks just to wash clothes and for a change of routine.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Going To Town

Postby Lefty » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 2]

While I did move around a bit in my adult life my hunting has always changed

with a young family water fowling in 107 day season was great. I could hunt early AM and be back in time for breakfast. My big game hunting was limited. But mostly drive out late Friday night to where I would hunt. Sleep in the truck, hunt and head home.

My first elk hunt was as a non-resident in Montana, south end of the Gravelies.We drove in , wall-tent camped for 8 nights
Bought a couple tags in Washington state. One was a 2 day hunt. The other drive up to ST. Helen to hunt 3 different days
Another non res Montana hunt Stayed in town, 1 1/2 hour drive to and from the hunting area , same tag two nights in a wall tent

Wyoming hunts were generally Camped Friday and Saturday night and back to town a wyoming town for Sunday morning

Utah elk tags just drove from home each morning.I could see my deer stand, an hour drive and hour plus hike from our house. Some deer hunts were an ATV ride from the house
Idaho trophy rifle. Stayed at my in laws home Elk at the trailhead before lunch.
Turkey hunting Idaho I stayed at the lake place drove in on an ATV.
Idaho desert archery. Weekdays I raced from home to sit in the blind. other were sit i the blind Friday night, tent camp hunt Saturday, then sometimes pack and head home early for Sunday obligations.
So most of hunt I was back home in two nights
Last fall ,as a retired guy with a heated camper 8-) . I generally left after Boys Scouts Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, then home for Sunday obligations.
Ive generally been close to home and hunted Friday night and Saturday, late season take the last day or two to hunt.

Being a school teacher I was limited to school days we were out. So mostly sleeping in the truck or camp Friday nights, hunt Saturdays
Hunting also had to be reasonably close
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I get to elk camp on a Wed. before the season opens and leave usually the day after season closes unless I tag out and then I go home. I went into town once to the ER.Other than that, I go elk hunting to get away from everything.Towns included
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I fight it like the plague. I do my very best to have everything locked and cocked for a two week hunt so no town run is necessary. That said, when it’s required to take an elk into the processor, I will certainly gas up the truck, maybe wash a load of clothes (maybe), and enjoy a meal somebody else cooks for me. My elk hunt(s) are my vacation from the rat chase ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I remember going to town once on a nearly month long hunt with WapitiTalk1. We restocked up on ice and groceries. RJ or his friend bought a item of clothing if I remember right, and we were soon back to hunting.
Going to town takes valuable time away from what we are there for.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Over the time of a 30 day season , my short 1 or 2 night stays 5, 6 times a season . I could start out full force;Generally totally refreshed , rested and give it my all for the day or day 1/2 hunt

Most hunts, now Im staying 3-5 days at a time, mentally I’m resupplied each time I come back home and go back out.

I did run to town twice,.. once for a tire repair, Another time during pouring rain and fog, then filled up with gas and bought a bag of chips and spinach dip.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H