Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #4

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #4

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 26, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Tag: Any Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Solo hunt; archery tag
Time/Date/Location: Mid September; 8:20 AM; in an elk state
Camp/gear: Base camp.

The night before, you’d walked in on an old skid road and located an absolute loudmouth bull (he really sounded like a dandy). After hearing him carry on for a few minutes, you creep back out the way you came to wait for the morning hunt…… praying that some jackhole wouldn’t beat you into the spot in the morning. Nobody is parked where the little road takes off the main in the morning and you head in before daylight (sweet!). It’s a slightly foggy morning as you head in which plays to your advantage. Just after it gets light, you approach the general area you heard the bull up on the side hill, within 150ish yards, and you hear the loudmouth sounding off. Decision quickly made, you move off the skid road about 75 yards to set up, wait, listen and do some calling. The thermals are moving steadily down in your face and the fog is now lifting. You can hear big nasty killing a tree, screaming his head off, and a few cows mewing; you also caught a glimpse of his head gear (as he thrashes a tall sapling) and it’s impressive. At this point, you’ve gotten as close as you feel is safe without exposing yourself (visually) so you decide to try a couple of soft cow mews. After you cow call, the BIG guy immediately screams and chuckles at you (telling you to come to him). You hear, then see, an elk moving through the small opening and whammo…. this upstart stops where he is now, not more than 20 yards from where you are kneeling at full draw, looking for the cow he heard. As you place your chosen pin on this teenager, you hear big snotty scream and chuckle again, just on the other side of the opening to your right, just inside the timber. Decision, decisions. Are you shooting the meat bull, or, staying the course and try to get a shot at the big bull?

Shoot or no shot here?

Scenario Elk #1.jpg
Scenario Elk #1.jpg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 4971 times

Reminder that if you save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #4

Postby 7mmfan » 03 26, 2020 •  [Post 2]

If he's stopped right there, I'm not shooting with a bow. He'll need to move forward or turn slightly to give me a better angle.

As far as shooting the meat bull or waiting on the big one, it would depend on if I really thought the big guy would come in to present a shot, and if I thought I could hold my draw long enough to let this little guy get by me without spooking him. It looks like he is on the downhill side of me, so I also risk him winding me if he continues on his current path. I'd be tempted to bet on his youthfulness and inexperience in getting me by him and on to the bigger bull.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 26, 2020 •  [Post 3]

If I can see his eyes, he can see me. I don't like the shot. I am not holding out for any better bull. I am just waiting for rascal to look the other way.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 03 26, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I'm shooting no matter what, but he has to turn
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 5]

waiting on BIg Hank! I will forever wonder what could have been if I shoot Jr. He gets a pass and 10 seconds later I am gonna arrow his great grandpa!
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I've killed a big bull with my longbow... if I'm not confident the big guy is bigger than the one on the wall I'm probably gonna arrow Jr. But not at that angle. It isn't right for a frontal shot, or a quartering to.

As for Jr. busting out the big guy, spikes are D U M B. I'd think hard about throwing a cow in distress call, and using the little guy as my decoy.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 28, 2020 •  [Post 7]

All right you heavy hitters, for those who chose to pass on the dink and work on the big stink, or… didn’t like the angle you had at junior, it doesn’t matter cuz that half a raghorn stopped for a second, didn’t like what he saw or didn’t see, and quickly moved off into the pines to his right. You decide to move forward another 25-30 yards and see what you can do about figuring out where that loudmouth is at and perhaps putting a move on him. After covering around 30 yards, you hear a bugle, then start seeing a handful of cows streaming out of the timber to your 2 o’clock, moving from right to left as you’re facing. What you’re seeing now is the last three elk in the small herd, before they move into the timber…. just below the bottom of that downed spruce. On your knees, cover to your back, thermals still in your mug, arrow nocked, reed in your mouth…….. you guesstimate the bull is a goat hair less than 40 yards from where you’re at. It sure is funny how things can change at the drop of a hat in the elk woods; he’s a wall hanger for sure. What’s your on the spot plan to bring that bull home for supper?
Shoot or no shot here?
Scenario Elk #2.jpg
Scenario Elk #2.jpg (215.95 KiB) Viewed 4899 times

Reminder that if you save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 28, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Scenario%20Elk%20#2.jpg
Scenario%20Elk%20#2.jpg (181.12 KiB) Viewed 4896 times

That old toad is so tough you could not stab a fork into the gravy he would make. :lol:
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:That old toad is so tough you could not stab a fork into the gravy he would make. :lol:
For my daily hassle of Swede. Pull your teeth out of the glass and use them

My track record is very contestant. I go after the big guy , passing on the easiest shot, and messing up the shot so someone else can have an opportunity
This year A very nice ever 5x5; the arrow went high right somewhere after a twig sent it way off
Two years ago I thought the bull was at 55 yards , he was under 33 yards , arrow went high, My daughter was so bummed
Had a spike messing with me , range finder was all wrong ( exhausted battery) 21 yards I used 45 yard pin, high arrow. Was going to go with 22 yard pin, when the senerio #4 bull showed. He never gave me a shot
The Mexican 360, perfect shot, at 55 . I drew I felt good. he faced me, I moved to a close cow . Then the bull gave me a perfect shot but I used my closest pin, shot low
Another bull,.. I got bull fever and put 3 arrows one after another as he walked closer,,,,,,,
then there was the time,.... Can I go to my room and cry :(

Oops my wife called me and I shut the computer down too quick,.. here is the photo
Scenario Elk #2.jpg
Scenario Elk #2.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I definitely would have passed on the small bull because in Wyoming my tag is good for a month of bow season and 3 weeks of rifle hunting. But with everything that just went down I was ready and waiting for Mr Big. After another half a step here is my red dot on the bull.
Attachments
BEDF48BE-291D-41B5-B770-9C0F881E031F.jpeg
BEDF48BE-291D-41B5-B770-9C0F881E031F.jpeg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Joe is actually 100% correct. The big bull is fat and in excellent shape. He should be excellent eating. After the rut there will be noticeable difference. I would still take the big bull, but he might be tougher chewing.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:I definitely would have passed on the small bull because in Wyoming my tag is good for a month of bow season and 3 weeks of rifle hunting. But with everything that just went down I was ready and waiting for Mr Big. After another half a step here is my red dot on the bull.

Nice shot mister :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 13]

You know Swede honestly I could never see a pattern in good eating elk and tougher ones. Obviously not letting your meat touch anything especially urine or stomach contents is a must. But I’ve eaten big bulls that were tender, calves that weren’t and cows from both ends of the spectrum. People talk about nasty bulls during the rut but in my opinion muscle is muscle and during the rut it’s the stench of serious bull urine that you really have to watch. But the antlers are all easy to look at and so far none have gotten freezer burn and gone to waste. They are like the gift that keeps on giving.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 14]

I understand and agree with what Joe is saying. I have had very few bad elk, and one tough one here or there is hard to make a definitive statement over. I shot a nice very fat cow that I thought would be great. She was tough to the core. I took her into a butcher shop and wonder, in the back of my mind, if I got the same one back. I have passed on a real skinny elk. Could I have shot it and had good eating? Who knows. I passed, so I can't be positive.
We have likely hijacked RJ's thread, but the conversation can be good even if we are not debating shot placement.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I have eaten lot of bigger bulls, cows, and spikes.Even some yearlings.
The yearlings were like veal but the spikes were by far the best eating. I pride myself in taking care of the meat, and have yet to kill a mature bull that wasn't a bit chewy.Some worse than others Same with cows .Some of those old gals could be used for boot soles. They all get at least two weeks in a walk in cooler at 38-40 degrees, The spikes never disappoint me though.However in CO most units are 4pt or better,so we don't get much chance anymore at them. A few 3 pointers, with 6 " brow tine, just barely legal comes close 2nd though. As long as shot presentation is good, I never pass up on a legal elk.
The 1st photo of the spike,I wouldn't shoot with a bow or rifles. It needs to come along further to get a good broadside.If I was already set up with a good rest and ready to shoot I would put one in his eye with a ML or centerfire
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer wrote:You know Swede honestly I could never see a pattern in good eating elk and tougher ones. Obviously not letting your meat touch anything especially urine or stomach contents is a must. But I’ve eaten big bulls that were tender, calves that weren’t and cows from both ends of the spectrum. People talk about nasty bulls during the rut but in my opinion muscle is muscle and during the rut it’s the stench of serious bull urine that you really have to watch. But the antlers are all easy to look at and so far none have gotten freezer burn and gone to waste. They are like the gift that keeps on giving.

The nastiest piece of big game meat i ever killed was an old blacktiail buck. old and rutty rank, we gave the whole buck away to a Veterans shelter. The best elk Ive taken was an 11 year old cow the biggest by weight cow taken on a 200 cow depredation hunt.
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 03 30, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Lefty said, "For my daily hassle of Swede. Pull your teeth out of the glass and use them"

Lefty, that was the funniest thing I have read on the internet in some time. I laughed out loud. Priceless! Lefty 1, Swede 0.

Nervous Grunt to stop him and thhhhhwaaaack! Right through the ribs!

I have had one tough bull, all the other elk have been the same...great eating.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 30, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Tigger wrote:Lefty said, "For my daily hassle of Swede. Pull your teeth out of the glass and use them"

Lefty, that was the funniest thing I have read on the internet in some time. I laughed out loud. Priceless! Lefty 1, Swede 0.

What a pair of boneheads. You two would not know a good joke if it bit you.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Bonehead;
INFORMAL
having or showing a quick-witted intelligence
Lefty