Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming Winter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming Winter

Postby Bolt » 04 24, 2020 •  [Post 1]

With spring approaching, I wanted to see how the winter has compared to recent? I haven't seen any reports of large weather related kills. Interested in the Western part of the state, Alpine down to Cokeville.
Bolt

Re: Wyoming Winter

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 24, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I live in Idaho but have some relatives that live over there. Not sure on winter kill but if I understand right they got a lot of snow
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 04 24, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I stay in touch with a friend in Alpine as well as the biologist for that region. My friend said that currently it would take a snowmobile to get to any trailheads. After reading your question I called the biologist. Great guy!

This winter hasn’t been anything extreme. His first question to me was are you inquiring in relation to elk or deer. The reason he asked is because he said being that there are 22 feed grounds to supplement winter forage the elk are pretty much immune to the affects of winter. He said all is fine in that department and hunting will be no different than in recent years.

With that I asked about the mule deer since they migrate down through Big Piney and to and beyond Cokeville. He said it’s been a good year for the deer with no notable winter kill and expects a good season for deer hunters. Right now snow is still piled up even at some lower areas but the deer are on the move and will be back on summer range as soon as things melt off a bit more.

All in all he sounded pretty positive about the current state of affairs. How’s that for an answer?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bolt » 04 24, 2020 •  [Post 4]

That is about as detailed as anyone could want, thanks IndianSummer
Bolt

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Good Report Joe

Our news areas also include Star Valley
Generally we hear of any or all of the good and bad
Haven’t heard any complaints from farmers so a more than average snowfall
Haven’t heard any farmer complaints of haystack depredation a few avalanche issues And with Yellowstone closed we haven’t made out trek into Jackson Gardner or West Yellowstone
Daughters boyfried hadn’t spent much time near Cokeville working or snowmobiling But the snow was more even , no huge dumps trapping game
Our up wind weather has been nice
The big thing up wind , Cokeville we had lots of melts South exposures on winterrange melted clear last week I ATVed to 8700 feet , In dry conditions yet on the flats. 4 feet of snow at 8300
Even with more snow we saw elk and shed hunters higher than in the past

First of February Bear Lake was still using graders on roads instad of blowers and buckets

So good winter for big game
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H