Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Script Your Ideal Elk Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Script Your Ideal Elk Hunt

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2020 •  [Post 1]

If you could write the story about your next elk hunt here and now what would it be like?

I would want my to be with my son. He may get nine days off, so I would like to kill a nice bull on day five, and see my son get a trophy on day seven. I would get my elk in the morning and have it in camp by late afternoon. My son would get his in the morning also and we would have his in that evening. I want my son to get a big bull, but not too early as he would feel obligated to get home right away.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Script Your Ideal Elk Hunt

Postby Lefty » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Maybe rerun of a mishap two years ago with my daughter.

We set up in the thick and nasty at the edge of blow-down, We let the woods quiet down . I range everything in sight . all my shooting lanes will be undr20 yards My daughter 20 some yards in front of me. She evaluates where I suggested she sit. She moved back 20 fet from a trail.
I let out a quiet bugle, a sound the local still bachelor group did not like one bit. Those three bulls came in all fired up, crashing, dodging and weaving, working their way around deadfell crashing through three in thick branches , popping small logs.
It was a race. The biggest bull forced to maneuver slow through the tangle because of the size of his head gear. 60 yards out I saw horn,..
Maybe right there I should have taken the 17 yard frontal shot at a huge Yellowstone bull , However I wanted to see my daughter get her bull

IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG (190.81 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

I spent two years with these three,.. passing on all sorts of cows and bulls previous times
My wife even teased me how I spent more time with him than we did when we were engaged. August we spent 17 days together; Me 1000, 2000 sometimes 5000 yards away. He didnt even know we were dating.
Two years before before he maintained 20-50 cows, 5, 6, 7 other bulls didnt risk getting near those cows

This year was different His head gear, still incredible He appeared healthy but maybe too old and crippled, maybe from a truck, a rifle bullet, his front left shoulder was a healed lump. He might have cows come to him but his chasing days were done. Sleeping in the shade of sagebrush in the coolness of the lava flow on those one hundred degree days, his muscles rippled as he made his daily treck, miles and miles hobbling towards his water source
. I already had the cover photo shoot scheduled for Eastmans and a place in Pope and Young with my name and his measurements.

They wolves had pushed him, he couldn't move very fast, His antlers were still deadly enough. He made a dozen stands in the thick sage as he an the wolf pack travelsd across the open desert The wolves would circle and circle him. The old bull slashing at the wolves. For hours; he held the wolf pair off with their seven pups from that spring, and five young from the year before.

Three miles from the the first encounter he made his last stand near a pahoehoe lava formation. He backed up protecting his back moving against the rock. The pair of wolves and pups in front while as he fought them off, the previous year young crawled and jumped up the rock Jumping from above an older pup leapt onto the old bulls back , clear of his horn, his siblings followed, The old bull back legs collapsed from fatigue and wight. Tossing his head too and fro he pulled himself forward, his front legs giving out as all eleven wolves started tearing at his flesh, He tipped to his side, The great bull lifted his head one last time , there was no streagth left in the great beast, No more struggle. Just panting for breath,.. Dozens of bite marks from where the wolves tore his flesh. blood , soaking the ground, His head slightly rolling, his heart pulsing as his blood drained from his body, , he labored for his last few breaths, and he was gone The end had only lasted a couple minutes.
The wolf pack killed him and devoured everything except part of his hip , back legs and stomach contents.

Really: I appreciate all the time we had together I would have been fine with any outcome we would have had that September

bullscopy re (Small) (Custom).jpg
bullscopy re (Small) (Custom).jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

With his acquaintance and passing my life changed forever. Like a few good friends I still have some great memories
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 3]

You paint a great word picture Lefty. You could send it in to Disney for a movie.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I have two hunts that sit in my head as ideal hunts with a high likelihood of success. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate in either of them in 2020 as the tags that usually sell out in a month or so, sold out in 12 hours this year. Lesson learned.

Ideally, I'd like to find bulls prior to opening day in a spot that not many others will go. I'd get Dad in on them and let him take first crack. Hopefully he knocks one down and we can spend that day, and maybe the next packing it out. Then I'd start paying attention to "The Terraces".

The Terraces is not an unknown spot, but very difficult to access, and very nasty terrain. That's why the bulls are there. They often aren't there on the opener, but are within a couple days. You can glass them at first and last light in the same series of narrow openings surrounded by dense timber and rock outcroppings. The ideal hunt would go down as such.

Day 3 of season, after packing my Dad's bull out the last two days, I sleep in and get up just before light. I make a thermos of coffee and then head to a glassing point where I can see a vast amount of country. I know that there should be elk moving into this area about now. As light comes on, I glass up the first bull in The Terraces. A smallish 5x5. If this bull is there alone, I know there are bigger bulls in there too, they just aren't showing themselves. To access this spot I either have to circumnavigate a couple miles of private property, and then climb 2500' up a rock chute to avoid spoiling the area where the bulls live. Or I can drive 40 miles of dirt roads that eventually lead me to gate 4 miles from the end ridge where these bulls live. I choose to drive around. The afternoon of Day 3, I make the drive, park at the gate around 2:00 and start the hike in with my spike camp on my back. I have enough food and water for 2 full days of hunting, and twice that left in my truck. My Dad is in camp, day hunting from there for deer now, but we have radios so we can check in periodically. I get to a saddle 2 canyons away from where the bulls should be, and set up camp in the timber. Out of sight and with enough terrain between me an the bulls that there is no chance of my camp spooking them. I make my way to a high glassing point where I can see most of the open ground these animals will feed into this evening.

One hour before dark, the small 5x5 comes out and starts feeding. I could kill this bull tonight, but I'm in no rush. I'm alone up here, and I have a suspicion there are bigger bulls in the timber behind him. As light fades, I begin to think I won't see anything else tonight. Even if they did step out right now, I wouldn't have time to get in position before darkness overtakes me. I begin to gather my things and get ready for the hike back to spike camp. I take one more look through the binos, an there is a new tan patch on the timberline. I cannot make out antlers, but the body size is significantly larger than the 5x5. The animal begins to move out into the open, and finally he drops his head to feed with the light color of grass behind him. I cannot count points, but I can make the heavy dark frame of a mature bull. I quietly slip out and back to my spike camp. I enjoy a small fire and some hot chocolate before retiring to an unusually restful nights sleep on the ground under my tarp.

30 minutes before I can see, I have positioned myself next to a long ago fallen pine tree on the adjacent spine to where the elk had been feeding the night before. From here, the timberline is 350 yards, and I have a commanding view of the entire slope below me, down several hundred yards. I can see multiple flat brushy benches with mixed timber from here, and only here. My ears strain for any sign that elk are out in front of me. A rock kicked loose, a twig snap, crunching on frozen dirt, anything. But there's not a sound to be heard. There is no moon, so light comes slowly. At legal shooting hours, I can make out several likely shapes in front me, 250 yards or so out, above a narrow strip of timber. I cannot see them clearly enough to identify though. As I move from one to another to another though, the light improves just enough to see one of these shapes turn it's head to look downhill. Elk. As soon as one is identified, they all become elk. 10 in total. I see 3 small bulls, including the 5x5 from the night before. 3 cows with and 2 calves. Down low, near the head of the timber strip, are two bulls, about 40 yards apart. They are bedded in some pine saplings. I don't count points, I know I'd be pleased as punch with either of them. The one furthest away, about 280 yards is bedded broadside to me looking straight down hill. He is my target.

I quietly slip down to the ground and to my rifle that is already laid out on my pack, bipod extended. I find the bull in my scope, dial to 2.8, and crank the magnification all the way to 14. I am now staring at individual hairs covered in frost on the back of his neck. In my head, and heart I know I could make the shot. Either behind his shoulder, or in the neck. However, I have the wind, I have him in my scope, and I know from experience glassing these animals that they won't be in their beds long before they get up and move to the timber. Just as my heart rate begins to slow, one the cows high up the hill side stands and like a crowd doing the wave at a baseball game, each elk further down the hill stands. My bull is the last to stand. I watch as he stretches his back, and legs, and shakes off the chill of the morning cold. I already have the crosshairs on the crease, and I slowly squeeze the trigger of my 7mm Rem mag. The rifle goes off before I expect it to. The shot breaks the cold stillness of the morning. The thwack of a solid hit reports back to me, but the bull stands, seemingly unphased. However, as all of the animals begin to move towards the timber, he remains. The echoes of my shot wave through the draws and gullies across the canyon from me, 1, 2, 3 times before fading out. I have another round chambered within a second of the first shot, and I take aim at the same point in the crease behind his shoulder. Through the scope, I can see blood pouring down the far side of his chest to the ground. I fire one more shot, and this time the bull hunches, his neck tightens and his legs stretch way out. He falls over backwards, and struggles for a moment before coming still. As luck would have it, he has stayed on the small bench that he was bedded on. This will make my life infinitely easier over the next couple hours.

I gather my things, shoulder my pack, and begin making the short trek over to my bull. I pull my radio out of my pocket and turn it on on the off chance my Dad was in earshot when I fired. Almost immediately, I hear, " Rory, you got me?"
I reply, "Yeah, Dad, I got you."
"I'm watching you walk across the hillside right now, did you get one? All the animals I could see left after you shot."
"Yep, he's dead in his bed. We've got a lot of work ahead of us."
"I'll see you in a couple hours.I'm going to finish breakfast and this pot of coffee, then I'll be on my way."
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Script it huh?
You can't script the adventures that happen in rifle season north of Yellowstone park. But it'll be late in November I reckon. A whale of a gale will dump two feet of snow on the park, and finally flush the herds north. A second storm following a couple days after the first will give me what I really need. Enough fresh snow to drive the big bulls out, the ones who hung on through the first storm. It could be any trailhead, but I know it won't be one of the ones I used to hunt. Those tags are draw only now, and not many of them, so this hunt will be further north. But there are elk all through the mountain ranges that split the Madison and Paradise valley. And so as the snow forces them down ridges, I'll be heading up the creek bed, destined for a rendezvous in some thick, nasty patch of blow down timber on the sheltered side of a ridge.

I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen the first day. It wouldn't be elk hunting if it were easy. But I'll cut some tracks. And I'll glass a herd of bachelor bulls up right towards dusk. Maybe a mile deeper, and in an even harder to reach spot. The morning will start early... It'll be spitting snow, 5 degrees on the thermometer, and the alarm clock will read 3:30AM, maybe 4:00AM if I'm lucky. Those early morning hikes always turn a little foggy in my mind. They feel like 10 minutes looking back on it, but like it will never get light while you're in the middle of the trek. Somewhere around 6 oclock is when the hike will turn into the climb of death. No more trail for this guy. It'll be straight up the 40 degree slope, and mind you don't miss the cut in the cliffs. Hopefully the snow won't be falling. I like to strip down to a base layer, and avoid sweating out my clothes. But when it's snowing hard, that doesn't work so well.

Two steps up. Pause for breath. It'll be snowing already, postholing through the dark, on a slippery slope. I'll make a knob that overlooks the bench about 10 minutes before it's light enough to shoot. Time to cool down, just off the backside, and layer up. Don't want to risk a swirl of wind into that bowl before I can see. Dawn will be late in coming with this soft falling snow. Probably got another inch during the climb, and I'll be glad for all that hi tech clothing. The base layer got soaked, but my body heat will have it half dry just standing there under the pines waiting for light.

And then, oh baby, then it'll be time to lock and load. Or would be, if I hadn't already done so at the trailhead. This is grizzer b'ar country and I like to think I'd bite back.

I've timed it right, cresting the hill, and stomping a patch of snow down to sit and glass, and as I pull up the binoculars, it's just grey enough to see through the falling flakes. Tracks are all I see, fresh ones heading into the trees. Apparently they wanted to go to bed early today. So into the timber we go. keep the tracks in view, 30 yards upwind if possible, and glass every damn stick three times over. Step, step, glass. Kneel down, glass. Back to standing, and repeat. When it finally happens the bull is standing broadside, already looking my way. I never catch them fully asleep. But the old hunk of walnut and steel on my shoulder moves quickly into position. The continued flurries of snow have masked enough movement that the bull just starts walking, not running, and I distinctly remember the story of my grandpa swinging with a bull, only to have the trigger break as a pine tree covered the vitals. I snap shoot him in the first opening instead. Not as elegant or graceful, but the barnes bullet makes a satisfying thump as it blazes through his chest. As the antlers vanish into the trees I know the trail is going to be a short one.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I think you guys may have missed your calling as writers. I enjoy your take on the ideal hunt, but would like mine to take a little longer if I could write the script before hand. As it is, I would take the first legal elk I can. Don't pass up the first day what you would accept the last.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote: Don't pass up the first day what you would accept the last.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats not me. Ill use any excuse to not shoot something early in the season to be able to hunt longer

Swede wrote:I think you guys may have missed your calling as writers. ,,,,,,.

I am not a great writer by any means. I have had articles bought published and accepted . My article in the Trapper and American trapper were fine; One fellow at Eastmans like my story but wanted it submitted sooner .
Pictures are a big part of many submissions. Take lots of good pictures
I spent way to much time as I wrote. I keyboard slow. And being a bit dyslexic left handed, and a whole lot of peripheral nerve damage I could use excuses.

What works for me: a rough draft written in order ,,, , think along the lines of chapter headings of a book
Then start witting,.. finish a rough draft.
Then use spelling and grammar check.
Read thorough and make corrections and changes using a thesaurus,..( Swede how do you i make myself look smarter than I am???? :lol: ) And being married to someone who had no formal training and was a newspaper editor.

I had a format for my students,.. sort of a checklist Tons of stuff on line
It takes more effort to sit down and start than anything.

I had three articles for a Trapping magazine put them in the mail. Eventually the editor call and asked why I hadn't sent them. I had. Some time later we found out a crackhead had broke into the mail box on our road and stole US mail,
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Another true short story. :lol:

Deseret Land and Livestock depredation hunt
http://wildcountryoutfitters.com/utahranch
Bounced around in a truck all morning
Spotted elk
Cool stalk
Made a great long rifle shot,.. elk ran down hill and down hill and down hill. Dropped dead 5 feet off a two track
Guide gutted the elk . Used a overhead crane to load in my truck.
Backed in my garage, pulled hide off
Drove to a locker and hung our elk
At the assigned time pulled into process our elk,they were done,.. we just had to clean the place and sharpen knives
Lefty

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Another year with my Son, enough said!

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Mine’s a bit different. Ever since they began having an elk hunting season in Pennsylvania I’ve dreamed of killing one of the monster bulls in my home state. Mot only are there 400 inchers but also some awesome non typicals.

So my hunt would start with seeing the words “Congratulations you have been successful with n drawing the antlered elk license for your first choice unit”. RJ would hear me yelling all the way out in Washington!

Then I’d call my partners and tell them to schedule 30 days off from work. A month before the season I’d set up the most deluxe base camp known to man. I’d locate the biggest baddest bull that roamed the north woods and follow him every day. I’d make detailed notes of his habits and drop waypoints of everywhere he went. As soon as the season opened I’d run him down like a hound dog and put an arrow through both lungs with my trusty Mathews Switchback. The end!

A couple Pa bulls:
Attachments
DB0DE419-990C-47F7-9489-5681019678E2.jpeg
DB0DE419-990C-47F7-9489-5681019678E2.jpeg (26.32 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
52A8901C-5DBB-4956-81F7-FDF63A76D324.jpeg
6957F064-FA53-4F31-9B75-EE6CC991A4F2.jpeg
6957F064-FA53-4F31-9B75-EE6CC991A4F2.jpeg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Mine this year would involve my dad in the September elk woods. about midway through the trip, we would be set up and I would be calling. A big ol stinky bull would come in mad as a hornet and as luck would have it, stop behind a bush about 5 yards in front of my Dad, but in a place he couldn't shoot. The bull would be enraged and bugle out his fury right in my dad's face. Snot would fly and land on my Dad's hat. This would go on for a few minutes and then the bull would take that fateful step and dad would auger him. and since I am writing the script, the bull would take off and run right to an old logging road that we didn't know was there. He would die within 5 feet of the road so we could drive the Ranger right up to him!

The road would be covered in freshly fallen aspen leaves that smell like fall. We would quarter him to the sound of other bulls bugling. We would have one of those epic mountain views from the kill site. Every sense would be involved. Can you smell the aspen leaves?????

In the near future, my kids will be part of this hunt. I am really looking forward to that as well.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 12]

It seems there is a common point that we want to have someone with us to share the experience. Having someone to share with just doubles the joy of hunting even if we are alone when we make a kill.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Agreed Swede! Except Joe. Joe wants all the glory for hisself! :lol:

MN has some monster bulls...I think a 430 came out of here a few years back....but the licensing is (was?) goofed up. You could end up with a once-in-a-lifetime tag.....for a cow. Because of that, I haven't applied. When they change it so you get a chance at a bull, I will apply. I better go research it cuz I haven't looked for years. I might not be talking the truth!
Tigger

Postby Billy Goat » 05 12, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:It seems there is a common point that we want to have someone with us to share the experience. Having someone to share with just doubles the joy of hunting even if we are alone when we make a kill.

^
I
I
this.

the best part of elk camp, I believe, is camp itself. those with whom you enjoy the mountains. I am very blessed to (again) this year hunt with my dad (will turn 67 in camp) and my son (16). I dont know how long this window of 3 generations in camp will be open, but I will enjoy every hour.

and that (3 generations) is my ideal elk hunt. had it in 2018, hoping for same in 2020. :)

at some point in our future, my boy will be in college, starting a "real job", then a family. someday, dad will be too old to go. til then, carpe camp. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 05 12, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Enjoy these hunts while you can. As you know they will not last long, so soak in the good times and memories while you can. Take a lot of pictures. Not taking pictures is one of my big regrets.
Swede

Postby Old school » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Mine would involve my sons and son in law. Would like a hunt where we had to work to find them, but when we found them, they were callable and we were able to pull an elk into range and packed it off the mountain. Just 4 short years ago I began taking my sons. Didn’t imagine I’d be thinking about a solo elk trip so quickly. Oldest son starts college in the fall and youngest son is trying to get an apprentice job with an electrician. I’ve got lots of good memories of our hunts and hopefully in a few years we will all be able to go again. Until then, I may be on my own.

Very thankful for the health to be able to go out west in September, the finances to do it, and 2 good sons who enjoy the outdoors and spending time with their dad, and a wife who doesn’t mind my addiction either. I’m a very blessed man. God’s been far better to me than I deserve.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 17]

It is great to see you back on the forum Mitch. Do you have plans to reopen your church soon or are you still waiting? We are evaluating the situation , but approaching things cautiously as we have a lot of very elderly and frail people.
Swede

Postby Old school » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 18]

We’ve been meeting for a couple weeks now Swede. Very few cases in our county and I believe less than 100 hospitalized through the whole ordeal. I’ve got quite a few older people in the congregation and they were all for getting back to meeting, so we did and they’ve all been there. It’s good to be back meeting in the building rather than the “virtual meetings” online. That’s hard to do both for the preacher and the congregation. The Lord didn’t design it to work that way....I digress.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 19]

We are currently limited to 25 people and must practice "social distancing", wear masks, etc. so we are working on a plan. We are trying to be very careful to protect our congregation as it averages over 70 years, and quite a few people have serious health issues.
Swede